Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stronach Group announces ban on race day meds (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150994)

thespaah 03-14-2019 05:10 PM

Stronach Group announces ban on race day meds

Just got this in my email.
Story from Horse Racing Nation
The Stronach Group has announced a "zero tolerance" ban on race day Medication at both Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields.
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...edication_123#

Rex Phinney 03-14-2019 06:16 PM

Odds that this is the end for Santa Anita?

I'm not being sarcastic.

jocko699 03-14-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney (Post 2440940)
Odds that this is the end for Santa Anita?

I'm not being sarcastic.

I really hope not but I think this is a good start to try and improve things at SA.

dilanesp 03-14-2019 06:27 PM

I want this to work, both because I can't stand Lasix and because I want racing to continue at Santa Anita.

But I can't see how it can. This is like forcing all the heroin addicts in a geographical area to quit cold turkey. The more likely scenario is they will go somewhere else to get their fix.

Rex Phinney 03-14-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2440942)
I really hope not but I think this is a good start to try and improve things at SA.

Santa Anita is my favorite track, by a long shot. But this is not the time for alterations to race day medication policy. The idea that in the middle of this track surface disaster these morons dreamed this up so questionable.

Who is going to run horses here? I mean for real? Track surface clearly isn't right and you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

If I'm being honest this feels like a self destructive move, noone could think this is a good idea RIGHT NOW. Perhaps at some point, but RIGHT NOW? It makes no sense.

dilanesp 03-14-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney (Post 2440948)
Santa Anita is my favorite track, by a long shot. But this is not the time for alterations to race day medication policy. The idea that in the middle of this track surface disaster these morons dreamed this up so questionable.

Who is going to run horses here? I mean for real? Track surface clearly isn't right and you're basically asking every trainer to start from scratch in their barn learning who can run without lasix.

If I'm being honest this feels like a self destructive move, noone could think this is a good idea RIGHT NOW. Perhaps at some point, but RIGHT NOW? It makes no sense.

Here's a radical possibility.

Let's say that what you and I think will happen happens here. I.e., there is such a shortage of horses who can run without Lasix that fields simply do not fill and Stronach is unable to run race cards.

Doesn't that position TSG perfectly to say to the people of California "that's it, we can't conduct the sport safely here, so we will go ahead and redevelop the incredibly valuable land we hold in Arcadia and Albany"?

You might have just seen the first step of the process by which TSG pulls out of California and closes down its tracks....

thespaah 03-14-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2440945)
I want this to work, both because I can't stand Lasix and because I want racing to continue at Santa Anita.

But I can't see how it can. This is like forcing all the heroin addicts in a geographical area to quit cold turkey. The more likely scenario is they will go somewhere else to get their fix.

Change is a difficult thing for human beings.
We are perhaps the least adaptable to change of all earths creatures.
Anyway, this is the way it is. So the horsemen and owners will just have to adapt.
It's a good rule. I hope it sweeps the nation.

Rex Phinney 03-14-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2440959)

Let's say that what you and I think will happen happens here. I.e., there is such a shortage of horses who can run without Lasix that fields simply do not fill and Stronach is unable to run race cards.

Doesn't that position TSG perfectly to say to the people of California "that's it, we can't conduct the sport safely here, so we will go ahead and redevelop the incredibly valuable land we hold in Arcadia and Albany"?

You might have just seen the first step of the process by which TSG pulls out of California and closes down its tracks....

It's exactly what I was thinking. Every bit of it.

Noone looking to keep this track running for the long term would do this.

thespaah 03-14-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney (Post 2440984)
It's exactly what I was thinking. Every bit of it.

Noone looking to keep this track running for the long term would do this.

So Cal racing has been plagued by short fields for quite some time.
So instead of 5 in the entry box, there will be 4. What's the difference?
Its still not a good sign.

dilanesp 03-14-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah (Post 2440998)

Damn, maybe I will finally hit a superfecta!

Rex Phinney 03-14-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah (Post 2440998)

Agreed, and if you already have an uphill battle on the track closure, why make it harder on yourself? Right now, Santa Anita is effectively piling on themselves.

AlsoEligible 03-14-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2440959)

Sounds about right.

Of course there's also the (increasingly likely) chance that someone puts a measure on the 2020 ballot to ban racing in California, and all of it is a moot point. When that happens, I suppose the real estate value takes a hit, so TSG would be smart to get out beforehand.

Either way, after today there's no doubt in my mind that these three months have killed California racing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how it'll go down.

cutchemist42 03-14-2019 07:26 PM

I love the news.

Henry Gondorff 03-14-2019 10:47 PM

I’m guessing Belinda had lunch with Kathy from PETA and this was the outcome.

You would think that SA track safety would be the main issue but I guess it was just the catalyst Kathy needed to open a Pandora’s box for the industry.

Bad timing though, with the KD just weeks away what will all the MSM be talking about now?

I’m adding California Horseracing to my death pools.

Dahossdaboss 03-14-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchemist42 (Post 2441010)
I love the news.

At the risk of being overly dramatic you love that The Stronach Group is making unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry as a whole and possibly destroy racing in California?