Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Software (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pace Software Programs (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41327)

City Zip 11-14-2007 09:40 AM

Pace Software Programs

I'm looking to buy a really good pace handicapping software program. The only program that I know about is Michael Pizzolla's The Master Magician. I was planning to order Michael's software program untill he tried to pull a fast one on me, but that's another story for another time. Can anyone suggest a couple of really good pace handicapping software programs from one or two reputable companies?

Thank you

JimG 11-14-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Zip
I'm looking to buy a really good pace handicapping software program. The only program that I know about is Michael Pizzolla's The Master Magician. I was planning to order Michael's software program untill he tried to pull a fast one on me, but that's another story for another time. Can anyone suggest a couple of really good pace handicapping software programs from one or two reputable companies?
Thank you

Handicapping Technology Research (HTR)
Horse Street Handicapper (HSH)
JCapper
Synergism6
Racing Decision Support System (RDSS)
HandicappingOS
CJ Figs

These above are supported by reputable people and while they are more than pace only, they certainly incorporate pace in their programs. You can do a forum search on any of them and find out more info.

For a first post, your inference to Pizzolla and whatever problems you had was unnecessary, especially if you were not going to enlighten us with whatever was the problem.

Jim

jhilden 11-14-2007 11:17 AM

The two programs I use(d) that were great for pace analysis, were HTR and HSH. HTR has great pace numbers to evaluate, good modeling tools, and is free. HSH also has great pace figures and excellent handicapping abilities. If set up right, HSH can be used as a black box for handicapping and wagering. The downside to HSH is the initial cost and learning curve. HTR also has a learning curve to navigate all the screens and to understand all the factors but not as steep as HSH; it took my 7 months to understand HSH enough to have confidence in its wagering decisions.

I currently use HSH because I find the experience working with the program as enjoyable as actually playing. For more information, do a search for these programs within the PA BBS and visit their respected websites. Also, HTR and HSH have their own BBS’s that you should read to get a feel on how the members handicap and use the programs.

The downside for both programs is that they require a monthly subscription to HDW which many find to be overkill, especially if only a recreational handicapper like a weekend warrior.

Others on this board can comment on other pace programs that use daily files or manual input, I just haven’t used them to any extent to post a qualified opinion or endorsement. I’m sure with the other member’s recommendations; you’ll have more than enough information to make a choice that matches your ability and play frequency. But for HTR or HSH, I can vouch for their quality and figures.

City Zip 11-14-2007 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info.

The problem that I had with Michael and PTS was that they were trying to deceive me by letting me think that The Master Magician software was a free program. It says on the cart and checkout pages that the software is free of charge. The way they get you is when they ship the software to you, they then charge your credit card $500.

You're right though, I shouldn't have brought up my problem with Michael and PTS. My mistake.

Tom 11-14-2007 11:52 AM

MPH - Trackmaster.
Basically, it is Phase III.

ldiatone 11-14-2007 04:53 PM

mph

tom
when i talked to doc several years ago,he told me the early all-in-ones were the old phase 3. i talked about tom b's MPH was a "bare bones" off shoot of the early syn and pl3-4. both based on sartin. doc also said "tom's to busy playing golf" :)--- in cheek).
ldiatone

The Judge 11-14-2007 06:49 PM

Can't Find "Free"?

I looked at all the advertizements on Posttime Solutions I couldn't find any offer that even remotely suggested that the Handicapping Magician is free. All the prices are listed at the end of the adverizments which say "add to cart." The prices are right there in plain sight.

The free program is the Post Time Soultions upgrade which could be used for handicapping and pace numbers, if one so desired. You would still have to pay for downloads.

DJofSD 11-14-2007 06:57 PM

A suggestion

If you don't want to spend a lot of money up front just to learn pace handicapping, get a copy of "Pace Makes the Race" and learn to use TPR. You'll be able to do it with a calculator and if you have even minimal programming skills, you can program it.

And as to the rest of you, don't jump down my throat about this, that or the other as far as velocity and the problems it has and why TPR is not that good, etc., etc. It is a suggestion as a starting point.

Once you've mastered it and are ready to move onto something better, more sophisticated, supports downloads, etc., then you can look at the other offerings.

headhawg 11-14-2007 07:09 PM

For free, there's always Race Prophet. It's fast, easy to use, and has a great interface.

Link

There's also the Velocity Generator (not free). It uses pars to determine fast/slow paced races and adjusts the final speed number accordingly.

Link

bigmack 11-14-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJofSD
And as to the rest of you, don't jump down my throat about this, that or the other as far as velocity and the problems it has and why TPR is not that good, etc., etc. It is a suggestion as a starting point.

If you find castigation from anyone regarding TPR usage let me know & I'll flash 'em bank statements from their valued usage.

GaryG 11-14-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmack
If you find castigation from anyone regarding TPR usage let me know & I'll flash 'em bank statements from their valued usage.

I added TPR to my bag of tricks as soon as I finished Dick and Tom's book. It has been more than helpful and now I would be lost without it.

bigmack 11-14-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG
I added TPR to my bag of tricks as soon as I finished Dick and Tom's book. It has been more than helpful and now I would be lost without it.

I suspect burnout is a viable factor in a game replete with variables unbeknownest to many though still wonder how a monster like Tom could hang in PD with its seasonal flux & turn a deaf ear to the game or that of Purdy & Co., who've from all accounts has gravitated to Forex.

A thread of interest would be of those seasoned folk of yesteryear that found a different game.

spilparc 11-14-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhilden
HSH also has great pace figures and excellent handicapping abilities. If set up right, HSH can be used as a black box for handicapping and wagering.

Oh really? You must be the one guy who figured it out.

Gibbon 11-14-2007 10:42 PM

Trend lightly spilparc. Should you - even in jest - dare challenge generally accepted handicapping views, you will be relegated to trouble maker status. I fear not reading my PM's for the Sartinista mafia have eyes and ears everywhere.

BTW: the secret belongs to a select few. We have to trust them. Please don't rock the boat.

PaceAdvantage 11-15-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibbon
Should you - even in jest - dare challenge generally accepted handicapping views, you will be relegated to trouble maker status.

Not if you do so in an intelligent manner.