Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Trevor no good (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48784)

TEJAS KIDD 07-16-2008 08:27 PM

Trevor no good

How does he still have a job calling races at the premier tracks..He was great in his day, but his days have passed..
Nice call in the Oceanside..Yet again, Trevor called the wrong horse and didnt call the horse flying up the rail until the final strides...How many more races does he need to screw up before he gets canned...

Marlin 07-16-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEJAS KIDD
How many more races does he need to screw up before he gets canned...

I'll put the over/under at 250,000.

HEADSUP 07-17-2008 05:45 AM

over/under

I'll take OVER

ManeMediaMogul 07-17-2008 06:25 AM

Give the guy a break.

He probably needed to knock the rust off, having not called a live race since Santa Anita.

Everybody makes mistakes and even the best announcers get tongue-tied once in a while. It is a very tough job.

Tom 07-17-2008 07:34 AM

Trevor seems to make a lot of big ones......JMHO.

TEJAS KIDD 07-17-2008 07:45 AM

I know it's a tough job..I wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago but I couldnt do it...but Trevor has lost it...
He works for less than 16 minutes a day and yet he can't remember the names of 80 or so horses...I don't think he can see anymore...He's been going downhill for at least the last 3 seasons at DMR...Time to hand over the mike to a younger racecaller...

It always seems to happen in stakes races, or maybe it's because I'm paying more attention in stakes races....Go back and listen to last years stakes race the GENEROUS PORTION where GOLDEN DOC A won.. and of course the more famous BC JUV when STREET SENSE was 5 in front before he got the call...There's plenty more..

OTM Al 07-17-2008 09:39 AM

If you think the track callers work only 16 minutes a day you are sorely mistaken. Besides having to prep for the races, many function in marketing and promotion capacities at the track. These are full time jobs when the meet is going and for many, the rest of the year as well.

njcurveball 07-17-2008 09:46 AM

A good announcer arrives at least an hour before the first race. Most arrive even sooner.

They handicap the card and make notes on who will take the lead, how they think a race will be run, etc.

Around 30 minutes to first post they make note of all the changes and announce them to the crowd. Then they get started on the first race. From about 25 minutes to post to the post parade they practice the call, mark up the program with different colors. Memorize the names and the different silks. Red hat, blue silks, blue hat, red silks, etc.

In between, they have constant interruptions with changes, corrections, stewards asking questions, management calling, promotions needing to be announced, etc.

When the horses hit the track, they start "eyeballing" them. #1 has red and white stripes, #2 has a blue cross. Remember, you cannot call numbers, you need to call names. Relating #1 to Joe's Barbecue and #2 to Joe's Tire Shop is not easy.

As the horses go in the gate they put their "game face" on and practice for the last time. They call the race, announce the prices, and go back on the same schedule for the next race.

socantra 07-17-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEJAS KIDD
..I wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago but I couldnt do it...but Trevor has lost it...
He works for less than 16 minutes a day and yet he can't remember the names of 80 or so horses...

Maybe you would have done better when you wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago if you had realized it was more than a 16 minute a day job.

sandpit 07-17-2008 10:31 AM

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by socantra
Maybe you would have done better when you wanted to be an announcer 20 years ago if you had realized it was more than a 16 minute a day job.

JustRalph 07-17-2008 10:59 AM

I bet Vic dropped in here and read this thread............... and threw another computer monitor out his window............ :lol: :lol:

Steady Vic!!!

Fingal 07-17-2008 11:13 AM

Every time I hear Trevor's no good, I think of the possible alternatives. :eek: :faint:

Ya gotta be kidding.:lol:

Bruddah 07-17-2008 12:23 PM

If an announcers mistake

made a difference in the outcome of a race, I could see us bettors going to buy "new rope" to hang them. However, a slip made calling the race " on the fly" hasn't damaged a darn thing. It only momentarily irritates you. Get over it.

If you can't do another man's job, never complain about the outcome. Just wait a minute before yo tear up your ticket. :rolleyes: :D

ranchwest 07-17-2008 12:41 PM

I never know whether Trevor is making a mistake or not.

toetoe 07-17-2008 02:22 PM

I pay TDen the compliment of a higher standard. :ThmbUp: