Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Backgound Checks (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154484)

Show Me the Wire 09-21-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay68802 (Post 2520457)
I understand this, but it's not the point. Where there is a will, there is a way. You, I, or anyone will not be able to stop someone from obtaining a gun, if they want one. It does not matter how many restrictions you put out there. Same thing with drugs. Pot, is illegal in my state. Do you think think that means it is hard to get? And I live in a town with less than 1500 people in it. Laws matter to me, not to criminals.

Okay, you say background checks do not stop people with bad intentions to obtain a gun. In other words background checks are worthless as a preventative measure. Why have a useless preventive measure, erode a Constitutional "right", by treating a "right " like a State granted privilege? Why give the State to the power to legislate, where no power exists?

I don't understand the argument for background checks, especially when its supporters admit these measures do not work and that such support let's the State usurp powers it should not have. Especially, that such expanded regulations begin treating privacy and due process "rights" as State granted privileges.

Actor 09-22-2019 03:21 AM

The poll is an example of the fallacy of false dilemma.

JustRalph 09-22-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire (Post 2520497)
Okay, you say background checks do not stop people with bad intentions to obtain a gun. In other words background checks are worthless as a preventative measure. Why have a useless preventive measure, erode a Constitutional "right", by treating a "right " like a State granted privilege? Why give the State to the power to legislate, where no power exists?

I don't understand the argument for background checks, especially when its supporters admit these measures do not work and that such support let's the State usurp powers it should not have. Especially, that such expanded regulations begin treating privacy and due process "rights" as State granted privileges.

Classic example of feel good legislation

xtb 09-22-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire (Post 2520349)
The bar for denying someone on mental health grounds is very high, requiring that a person has been declared unsound or involuntarily confined to a psychiatric institution by a court or other authority. Fewer than 43,000 people have been denied under this criterion.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/gun...ck-nics-guide/

These types of checks are Constitutional as they do not violate Due Process or privacy laws.

I know you are referring to federal law but in NY, people have had their pistol permits revoked simply from having been prescribed Chantix to help quit smoking. One of the side effects of Chantix is depression. They can usually get their permit back but not without a good lawyer and a lot of cost.

horses4courses 09-22-2019 11:13 PM

Move along.....nothing to see here

Why would anyone need more comprehensive background checks
when it's totally clear to so many that it would serve no purpose?
There is no reason whatsoever to seek any change for improvement.

Meanwhile, we can just fill up the popcorn bowl, crack open a cold one,
sit back and watch the net mass shooting in glorious technicolor - 3D even.

We don't need no stinking change........:rolleyes:

JustRalph 09-23-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horses4courses (Post 2521111)
Why would anyone need more comprehensive background checks
when it's totally clear to so many that it would serve no purpose?
There is no reason whatsoever to seek any change for improvement.

Meanwhile, we can just fill up the popcorn bowl, crack open a cold one,
sit back and watch the net mass shooting in glorious technicolor - 3D even.

We don't need no stinking change........:rolleyes:

Now you’re getting. Nothing will change. With or without new laws

woodtoo 09-23-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2521208)
Now you’re getting. Nothing will change. With or without new laws

They want your guns! Period. Francis was the only one who fessed up and look at him now.:D

MargieRose 09-23-2019 04:38 PM

I'd make a change. I'd put a stop to all gun-free zones forthwith...then, recheck the current 97.8% mass shooting stats in about a year or two.

woodtoo 09-25-2019 08:14 AM

So you would shut down 'gun free zones' where 97.8% of mass shooting occur? Intriguing yet logical.

Tom 09-25-2019 01:01 PM

And concealed carry is a must.
If you do not know who is armed, you will be less likely to try something.

Gun Free zones are one of the most stupid ideas in the history of man.

JustRalph 09-25-2019 07:06 PM

School systems upgrading security is the fix

fast4522 09-25-2019 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2521998)
And concealed carry is a must.
If you do not know who is armed, you will be less likely to try something.

Gun Free zones are one of the most stupid ideas in the history of man.

I don't know about that Tom, GMI makes a real sexy holster for your .50 Cal