Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Breeders' Cup in Mid December?Board set to discuss major event changes (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142955)

Andy Asaro 01-24-2018 01:42 PM

Breeders' Cup in Mid December?Board set to discuss major event changes

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...-event-changes

Excerpt:

“Any kind of ideas or thoughts that we are analyzing or discussing we don’t discuss in public until we have acted on them,” Fravel said. “We’re looking at millions of things all the time.”

According to officials, items up for discussion include potential host sites for the 2019 event and beyond; the possibility of adding a 14th race to the two-day event, restricted to 3-year-olds; the rescheduling of the full two-day event to mid-December; and the rescheduling of the Classic to a date one month later than the two-day event, a radical proposal that is being supported by board member Bobby Flay, the celebrity chef who is a horse owner and breeder.

Though an intermediary, Flay declined to comment on his proposal Wednesday, but three officials confirmed that Flay is leading the effort to promote the idea, despite misgivings from some Breeders’ Cup officials.

GMB@BP 01-24-2018 02:57 PM

I dont think moving to say December is the worst idea...it does get drowned by football in the current slot, heck the dates used to be set around ND football.

cj 01-24-2018 03:33 PM

That pretty much rules out everywhere but California, doesn't it?

classhandicapper 01-24-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2265506)

Maybe that's their idea. ;)

Tom 01-24-2018 04:03 PM

Sounds like pretty stupid ideas to me.
Flay been smoking his oregano?

Move the Classic to a whole different weekend?????

I love thinking outside the box, but this is thinking outside the skull!

Saratoga_Mike 01-24-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2265534)

Perfectly said.

jay68802 01-24-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

or Gulfstream.

Oaklawn or Churchill as maybe's.

GMB@BP 01-24-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay68802 (Post 2265542)
or Gulfstream.

Oaklawn or Churchill as maybe's.

Thats what I would imagine, but Oaklawn has no turf course and I have no clue about the type of hotel rooms they have.

Churchill in December is just as much a gamble as Churchill in November, at least when I lived there.

castaway01 01-24-2018 04:34 PM

While having the Classic at a separate time makes no sense, moving the whole event a month later is actually a pretty good idea.

Andy Asaro 01-24-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Think that's part of the idea.

Quesmark 01-24-2018 05:35 PM

With a BC in December,and a new "Derby" race for 3yo only;,wouldn't trainers have to keep horses in training longer,since the next season would be getting underway soon after the previous one ended.Less layoffs,more starts for the top level competition assuming they remain healthy + sound...

Fager Fan 01-24-2018 05:55 PM

The BC proves yet again that they can't stand to leave well enough alone.

They already created a new class of horse called The Who? BC Winner.

Once upon a time the winners of a BC race really accomplished something to be respected. Now 2nd tier horses win so regularly non-championship caliber BC races, we don't even remember who they are.

So not content with having screwed it up bad enough already, they're exploring how to completely total it.

Morons.

Afleet 01-24-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2265534)

maybe they can run the BC classic on the Pegasus' undercard:lol:

MonmouthParkJoe 01-25-2018 08:44 AM

In terms of adding another race, it doesn't bother too much.

The moving of dates I am not sure about. If you split the classic to another day, I am sure they would have some supporting races moved under it to justify it. This would lead me to believe the two day format would be split.

If you ran one day of races on one weekend then the classic a couple others weeks later, it would all but eliminate me from ever attending unless it was local. It is costly enough with airfare and hotel but at least I get two days of racing. Doing the same thing for one day and then possibly a second is just too costly, add to that you run into the holiday season in December.

Tom 01-25-2018 09:11 AM

Hmmmm.......I see the reasoning behind it now.
Flay gets to cook TWO expensive meals!