Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone playing Crooked River? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145961)

coachv30 07-11-2018 10:34 PM

Anyone playing Crooked River?

:D

RunForTheRoses 07-12-2018 09:47 AM

Maybe Track Collector or scanman are. Are adws offering it? Next stop Ely or Elko.

Hambletonian 07-12-2018 01:59 PM

Seems to be on TwinSpire's schedule.

A nice fair with decent racing, I enjoyed my visit there many years ago.

Scanman 07-12-2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2340511)
Maybe Track Collector or scanman are. Are adws offering it? Next stop Ely or Elko.

Oddly enough, Crooked River (Prineville) is one of the 10 or so tracks in North America that I haven't been to. Hope to visit within the next couple of years. Thankfully, the fairs/bush tracks in Oregon are doing okay financially. I believe they get a decent subsidity from the Oregon lottery.

Track Collector speaks very highly of this meeting and I believe he makes an annual pilgrimage there. I have been to a couple of the Oregon fairs and generally, they're a lot of fun.

elhelmete 07-12-2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2340511)

Elko is a blast, and actually a pretty fun town too. Lamoille Canyon is spectacular.

Parkview_Pirate 07-13-2018 04:30 AM

Went down to Crooked River for a night last year. Good time, nice folks. Made some beer money. Kinda hot. May go again Saturday night, but that would mean missing out on closing day at Sha Tin. Tough call.

The best meet in this neck of the woods is Tillamook coming up in a month. Nice cool breeze off the ocean, nice crowd, and the fair experience. Excellent motorcycling to and from the track through the coast range. Portland Meadows racing is okay and of higher quality than the fairs, but being during the rainy season, err, it kind of dampens the experience.

AskinHaskin 07-13-2018 09:03 AM

A former Breeders' Cup starter raced at Crooked River last night and the result was about what you might expect. (Career earnings north of $620K)

RunForTheRoses 07-13-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scanman (Post 2340820)
Oddly enough, Crooked River (Prineville) is one of the 10 or so tracks in North America that I haven't been to. Hope to visit within the next couple of years. Thankfully, the fairs/bush tracks in Oregon are doing okay financially. I believe they get a decent subsidity from the Oregon lottery.

Track Collector speaks very highly of this meeting and I believe he makes an annual pilgrimage there. I have been to a couple of the Oregon fairs and generally, they're a lot of fun.

How's Ferndale? I guess it is a little bigger than those mentioned?

I would like to go to Elko or Tillamook one day.

RunForTheRoses 07-13-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AskinHaskin (Post 2340899)
A former Breeders' Cup starter raced at Crooked River last night and the result was about what you might expect. (Career earnings north of $620K)

The horse broke down?

Afleet 07-13-2018 10:48 AM

The crooked part gives me cause to pause

jballscalls 07-13-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2340922)
The horse broke down?

no he won pretty easily.

Crooked River is a lot of fun. Great crowds and a night time atmosphere.

Scanman 07-14-2018 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2340918)
How's Ferndale? I guess it is a little bigger than those mentioned?

I would like to go to Elko or Tillamook one day.

Ferndale was great. A little more known because of the CA Fair circuit and the quality of horse is a bit better. They invested in the surface over the last couple of years by banking the clubhouse turn more so that not as many horses "blow the turn". Will try to find my pics of Ferndale and post a few.

Elko is nice. They've been carding more quarter horse races the last couple of years. It has a decent infrastructure for a "bush" track. Of course, the most unique part of the track is the chute at the top of the stretch. It appears to have been cut out of the side of a hill.
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...pso5n7ghjz.jpg

Tillamook was a lot of fun. The track sits in an attractive area closer to the pacific ocean, with a few hills as a backdrop. Most interesting bit about Tillamook is that the paddock is right up against the outside rail of the track.http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...psjnzpcrtb.jpg

Burns (Harney County Fair) was probably my most enjoyable visit to the Oregon bush tracks. Nice open track with access to view racing from many different areas, if you were prone to move around a bit.http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...pszhndgj5u.jpg

But I still have Crooked River and Eastern Oregon (Union) to visit, so I will be looking forward to that.

Happily, I was suprised to see that Crooked River has sent out their signal and because of this thread, I have watched/played the thoroughbred races via TwinSpires. I think that this is the first time I had seen an Oregon bush track sent out their signal. Don't believe the recent Grants Pass meet did and I'm pretty sure Eastern Oregon didn't. Will tune in tonight and hope that this trend will carryover to the other fair meets.

RunForTheRoses 07-14-2018 10:43 AM

Very nice pics Scanman, especially Elko, the backdrop looks like stone or something.

Scanman 07-14-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2341240)
Very nice pics Scanman, especially Elko, the backdrop looks like stone or something.

It is. Looks like limestone or may granite, but is sits right at the base of I-80. Without a doubt, the most unique backdrop to a starting position of all the tracks I have visited.

lamboguy 07-14-2018 12:49 PM

do they have a $2.20 or a $2.10 minimum payoff?