Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Computers (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   HOW TO TREAT NEG NUMBERS AS ZEROS? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160578)

Achilles 09-23-2020 04:19 AM

HOW TO TREAT NEG NUMBERS AS ZEROS?

I would like to perform some arithmetical operations on a column of figures in EXCEL. How do I get the formula to treat any number which is less than zero in value, as if its value is zero?( i.e. if x<0, then x=0) I hope that someone here can help when they can. Thanks in advance................Jack

Achilles 09-23-2020 10:09 AM

Thanks anyway, but.............

.....I figured it out using the max function.

Dave Schwartz 09-23-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles (Post 2655120)
I would like to perform some arithmetical operations on a column of figures in EXCEL. How do I get the formula to treat any number which is less than zero in value, as if its value is zero?( i.e. if x<0, then x=0) I hope that someone here can help when they can. Thanks in advance................Jack

Sorry I missed this.

Very simple:
1. Column A is a column of values

2. Column B is created from column A using this formula:
=(A1>0) * A1

Achilles 09-23-2020 05:56 PM

Thanks for your reply Dave

I did it by using MAX(0,J2) to create a duplicate column of figs that I could plug into a formula in another column. Your formula seems pretty slick, like I could plug it right into the formula and avoid creating a redundant column. I'll give that a try later.
Thanks again for answering.................Jack

cj 09-23-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achilles (Post 2655299)
I did it by using MAX(0,J2) to create a duplicate column of figs that I could plug into a formula in another column. Your formula seems pretty slick, like I could plug it right into the formula and avoid creating a redundant column. I'll give that a try later.
Thanks again for answering.................Jack

Why not just plug MAX(0,J2) into the formula itself so you don't have to create another column?

Achilles 09-24-2020 09:20 PM

Why not...............?

Hi C.J.

Actually (RED BOARD ALERT) I did that, and guess what?..........It worked!;)

Thanks for your interest.................Jack