Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Exaggerator Retired (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133927)

MNslappy 10-10-2016 07:10 PM

Exaggerator Retired

Quote:

Classic winner and leading sophomore Exaggerator , the only 3-year-old colt with three grade I wins in 2016, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at WinStar Farm near Versailles, Ky.

"We could not be more excited to add another classic winner the caliber of Exaggerator to the WinStar stallion roster," said Elliott Walden, WinStar president & CEO about the son of Curlin . "He is a sound horse that passes all physical exams, but as the only 3-year-old to test all the Triple Crown races and summer classics, he's a horse that is asking us for a rest. The fact he remains sound after 15 big-time starts in the last 16 months is a testament to his ability, consistency, fortitude, and class. He is an extreme racehorse—a tough, durable throwback to the old days, like Curlin."

A stud fee will be announced at a later date.
More:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...red?source=rss

dilanesp 10-10-2016 07:22 PM

They should over-water the pasture for him. He'll like that.

horses4courses 10-10-2016 08:32 PM

Too bad.
Nice colt :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer 10-10-2016 08:47 PM

Cool horse. Very nice animal. Arguably the best 3yo preps thru crown series.

He'll be referenced by horseplayers as a 'mudder', whether accurate or not.

PhantomOnTour 10-10-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNslappy

If he's a "tough and durable throwback like Curlin", as the caption states, then why would they retire him at age 3? Curlin ran into his 5yr old season I believe.
Throwback, my ass, he is the gleaming gem of the modern thoroughbred breeding industry...retired at age 3.
I don't see him as an attractive stallion prospect

Zaf 10-10-2016 09:25 PM

Agree, nice horse but did not do enough to be compared with Curlin.

Z

pele polo 10-10-2016 10:06 PM

I really wanted to see him on grass, going a mile. I thought he would have fit that perfectly.

outofthebox 10-11-2016 11:03 AM

Hate it when Elliot Walden says retired sound...Winstar notorious for retiring young stallions. Bodiemiester, Carpe Diem, Daredevil (lol) Gemologist, Outwork, Overanylyze, Revolutionary, Speightster...They are retiring him because he is tired, and Jerry Brown says the Haskell cooked him.

Tom 10-11-2016 11:24 AM

I'd rather Exaggerator kept running and KENT retired.:rolleyes:

SandyW 10-11-2016 11:58 AM

A 3 year old tired, what a joke.
This is why tracks are running races with five horse fields or less.
Keep killing the industry.

Tom 10-11-2016 12:06 PM

"Tired" says a lot about his abilities as a trainer.

Redboard 10-11-2016 12:41 PM

It’s a positive to go into the breeding shed healthy, which is why they are spinning it like they are. Article says nothing about his bombs in the Travers and PA Derby. I have a sneaky suspicion that they knew the horse wasn’t 100% when they entered him in the PA Derby and only did so to get the $200k bonus.

ronsmac 10-11-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyW
A 3 year old tired, what a joke.
This is why tracks are running races with five horse fields or less.
Keep killing the industry.

A lot of horses seem tired this year.

classhandicapper 10-11-2016 01:28 PM

I'm willing to buy the "tired" excuse. I started out on the fence about his ability given all the fast paces and wet tracks. I eventually went negative on him. But his initial honest pace races on dry tracks weren't that bad. So it's possible that he both benefited from some lucky setups and wet tracks but also tailed off at the end of the year. I wanted to see more next year.

Robert Fischer 10-11-2016 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper
his initial honest pace races on dry tracks weren't that bad.

His San Vicente was very good.

7F against Nyquist(considered to be the elite 3yo at that time)

Exaggerator put up a performance that was huge for this class with personal raw fractions of 22.59 44.67 1:08.65 1:20.94.
Having run wider than the winner, his Trakus MPH was 39.4 vs. Nyquist's 39.3.

The only separation was Nyquist's superior early speed and inside post, meaning that Nyquist could take the initiative.

At least on that day he was right with the head of the class on a fast surface.