Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RIP Jack Van Berg (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142492)

KidCapper 12-27-2017 11:53 AM

RIP Jack Van Berg

Clocker 12-27-2017 12:16 PM

Jack was the sport personified for someone introduced to the game at Ak-Sar-Ben back in the day. Now they are both gone, and missed.

JustRalph 12-27-2017 12:18 PM

Who’s going to tell the truth now?

zico20 12-27-2017 02:21 PM

Alysheba is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name.

dilanesp 12-27-2017 03:42 PM

He did an amazing job with Alysheba. Turned a repeat loser into a big winner, and taught him how to run without Lasix and on off tracks.

He also trained Gate Dancer, who was a load.

And he was excellent at the claiming game back in the day.

dnlgfnk 12-27-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2254274)
Alysheba is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name.

Hey, Zico.

Mine is the memory of rushing to Northwest Plaza for the DRF 'round this time of year in '75, just to see the FG entries since in Picking Winners, Beyer stated that Steve Davidowitz "observed that horses trained by the brilliant Jack Van Berg would win countless races even though they defied all conventional handicapping wisdom."

Equifan 12-27-2017 06:47 PM

From the local fish-wrap's site (arkansasonline)

"Jack Van Berg, a Hall of Fame trainer who oversaw Alysheba to victories in the 1987 Kentucky Derby and Preakness, died Wednesday. He was 81.

He died in a Little Rock hospital, according to a spokeswoman for Oaklawn Park, where Van Berg had relocated his training base after leaving Southern California in 2013. No cause was given."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...-who-trained-/

outofthebox 12-28-2017 06:50 AM

I have fond memories of JVB. I never was privileged to work for him, but was stabled next to him for a couple of years at the old HP. He was gracious giving his time to anyone who was seeking his advice whether horse related or personal. A man of great character . RIP JVB

ultracapper 12-28-2017 12:00 PM

He was running one strange operation when he was last in SoCal. Basically he was playing second fiddle to Jorge Gutierrez with Ben Warren's stable of runners. It looked like he was buying Warren's castoffs under his asst trainer, Sam Alverez's, name. He was running 15 or 20 starters a month with minimal, and I mean very minimal, success.

You couldn't help route for him though. You knew he was taking care of those bottom level runners as well as any trainer was taking care of his superstars.

dilanesp 12-28-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultracapper (Post 2254533)
He was running one strange operation when he was last in SoCal. Basically he was playing second fiddle to Jorge Gutierrez with Ben Warren's stable of runners. It looked like he was buying Warren's castoffs under his asst trainer, Sam Alverez's, name. He was running 15 or 20 starters a month with minimal, and I mean very minimal, success.

You couldn't help route for him though. You knew he was taking care of those bottom level runners as well as any trainer was taking care of his superstars.

He refused to dope. His winning percentage went back up the last couple of years after testing got better.

Prioress Ply 12-28-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2254605)
He refused to dope. His winning percentage went back up the last couple of years after testing got better.

Exactly.

Afleet 12-28-2017 05:47 PM

He reminds me of going to Aksarben back in the day. Still can't believe they tore this place down

PaceAdvantage 12-29-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prioress Ply (Post 2254637)
Exactly.

Funny stuff.

upthecreek 01-12-2018 04:33 PM

Nice win today

Clocker 01-15-2018 07:59 PM

Paulick has a great wrap up of the tributes and services for Jack, written by Chris Kotulak, the Remington Park handicapper who wrote a biography of JVB.

This should have been on TV:

Quote:

Years ago, Jack said to track announcer Frank Mirahmadi, “When they put me in a box I want you up there talking about me.” Frank did not let Jack down, nor did he disappoint the nearly 400 guests at the service. To no surprise, Frank concocted the perfect elixir of reverence and levity, which his audience savored – and I'm sure JVB did, too. He was not excessive (though he could have been) in the listing of Jack's countless accomplishments as a trainer. Through his meaningful research, Frank infused many quotes and anecdotes of Jack's adoring friends, employees and colleagues.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/r...egend-jvb-way/