Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   John Piesen dead @ 80 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138098)

upthecreek 05-03-2017 08:21 AM

John Piesen dead @ 80

LottaKash 05-03-2017 12:18 PM

I fondly remember reading many a "Piesen" newspiece, and I always considered his opinions when going to the races...Especially Monmouth and Garden State Parks...

He was good for this game of ours...

PaceAdvantage 05-03-2017 12:40 PM

Sorry to read this.

Vinnie 05-03-2017 12:44 PM

I always enjoyed reading his articles from his offerings, etc. Most heartfelt condolences go out to his family. He will indeed be missed.

Nitro 05-03-2017 12:51 PM

R.I.P. John.
You gave us a lot of sound advice over the years.
You will be missed.

burnsy 05-03-2017 03:45 PM

Condolences to his family.

Master of a lost art.

reckless 05-03-2017 05:15 PM

Piesen was truly an advocate for the $2 bettor, and his Through the Binocs feature was a must-read for all New York racing fans. I know that was the first place I went to back in the day ... and I kept notes too!

Piesen caught heat over the years from the NYRA jockey colony because he'd often mention riding efforts that he thought were just a little untoward of the profession. He particularly targeted the Top 3 jocks of the early 1980s era, Angel Cordero Jr., Jorge Velasquez and Jacinto Vasquez, whom he collectively referred to as the Spanish Armada.

RIP to John Piesen, a gifted handicapper, turf journalist, a true lover of the game and honored family man.

Pine Tree Lane 05-03-2017 06:08 PM

He was also respected by the same riders. At Angel's request, he didn't report death threats Cordero received after the 1980 Preakness (the Tony Ciulla race fixing cloud still hanging over the sport). In journalism, to sacrifice "the scoop" for decency's sake is an admirable quality.

theiman 05-03-2017 07:11 PM

Between John Piesen doing T-Breds and Henry Hecht doing harness racing, if you were in NY area you had some great readings every day.

RIP John.

RunForTheRoses 05-03-2017 08:13 PM

Rest in Peace, read him for years in the NY Post.

Tom 05-03-2017 09:36 PM

Very sad news.
I met him once at Finger Lakes, where he was a guest speaker during the winter NyRA simulcasting. ( me and about 200 other guys!)

Nice guy, good speaker.

:rip:

NJ Stinks 05-04-2017 12:43 AM

John Piesen, Ray Kerrison, Bob Harding, Ray Brienza, Bill Finley, Tom Luicci, Jerry Izenberg....

Surely there are others I omitted but the guys listed above made me care so much more about horseracing. If you lived in NJ or around NYC, you know what I mean.

How the sport can survive without great racing writers nourishing our passion is the million dollar question.

RIP, John Piesen.

thespaah 05-06-2017 10:40 PM

I bought the NY Post all the time and one of the first places i would head was to "Through the Binocs"..
I enjoyed John's musings about racing.

cj 05-06-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah (Post 2164209)
I bought the NY Post all the time and one of the first places i would head was to "Through the Binocs"..
I enjoyed John's musings about racing.

Same here, used to read it every day along with the Star Ledger.

BetHorses! 05-07-2017 12:43 AM

Ohhhh didn't know....so sad. Prob one of the most recognized names in NY. Spent my childhood reading that page!