Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dave Litfin (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173437)

PalaceOfFortLarned 11-18-2022 05:04 AM

Dave Litfin

Sad news today.

One of DRF's main contributors for many years passed today after a battle with cancer. 64 years old. Much too young.

I recall reading many handicapping articles and selections from Dave when the DRF was our daily bible and required weekend reading.

https://www.drf.com/news/former-drf-...in-dies-age-64

:(:rip:

MJC922 11-18-2022 05:32 AM

Very sorry to hear this. RIP

pandy 11-18-2022 06:21 AM

Dave was a good man. We had mutual respect for each other. I really liked him and I missed his analysis when he left DRF. He used to put in bits of information such as pedigree or trip notes that take time to research and were very helpful to handicappers and bettors.

This is the second colleague the handicapping world lost recently as Dave Brower passed a few weeks ago and he was also very well-liked and admired.

Dave Schwartz 11-18-2022 06:48 AM

As Pandy said, Dave was a fine man.

Over the years we had only occasional contact mostly via Facebook in the last decade or so.

1st time lasix 11-18-2022 08:23 AM

Had a couple long conversations with him during breaks in Las Vegas at the national handicapping forum ……..he was engaging and enjoyable to chat with at that time. Conversed about racing and some other current event topics of the day. Imagine he will be missed by many in racing. Sad to hear of his passing at such a young age. My deepest sympathies to his loved ones.

PhantomOnTour 11-18-2022 09:09 AM

This is terrible news.
His 'Expert Handicapping...' book was a favorite of mine. I hadn't yet heard of Ragozin & Thorograph, and it was this book that introduced me to some of the concepts used by those guys.
I still have my copy. Think I'll give it another look today.

So sad to hear of his passing
RIP Dave

proximity 11-18-2022 09:18 AM

i actually just leafed through both expert and real life handicapping the other day. very sad news to hear.

rip dave litfin

BarchCapper 11-18-2022 09:36 AM

I'm trying to remember who he replaced when he took over as the main NYRA guy for the DRF. He provided many, many good years of solid work. RIP Dave Litfin.

dilanesp 11-18-2022 10:04 AM

Only 64. Very sad.

Public handicappers have an extremely difficult job. Litfin was excellent at it. He taught a lot of gamblers a lot about how to handicap and bet better.

wisconsin 11-18-2022 10:31 AM

Sad news.

I have a couple of his books. Way too young.

:rip:

Tom 11-18-2022 10:35 AM

His DRF column was the highlight of the day. The guy was a very good writer.
Sorry to hear this awful news.

I just recently replaced my lost copy of his book....Thanksgiving will be a nce quiet day to pour a few and re-read it. :rip:

king kong 11-18-2022 11:34 AM

Dave L

Replaced Mike W. R.I.P. Great guy!!

lamboguy 11-18-2022 11:38 AM

sad loss, RIP

Inner Dirt 11-18-2022 02:41 PM

Rest in Peace. He was younger than I thought he would be as I remember him from way,way back. He must have started being popular at a young age.

BarchCapper 11-18-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king kong (Post 2842221)
Replaced Mike W. R.I.P. Great guy!!

Watchmaker? That sounds right. At first I was thinking Mike Welsch - and that DIDN'T sound right, though he's apparently been there since 1972 (and the photograph on the website has to be circa 1982)

Would Watchmaker have been the DRF NYRA guy when I first cracked open a broadsheet DRF eastern edition in 1979-80? I can't remember.