Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Del Mar Summer Meet Ends With ZERO catastrophic injuries, Wagering Increases (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172457)

Andy Asaro 09-12-2022 07:22 AM

Del Mar Summer Meet Ends With ZERO catastrophic injuries, Wagering Increases

Excerpt:

Spurred by strong support from horsemen and women from California and around the country, Del Mar set new records for average daily handle and field size during its 83rd summer season that concluded Sunday, Sept. 11.

The San Diego County track also continued its exemplary safety record for the fourth consecutive year. Del Mar reported no catastrophic injuries among its 2,688 starters in its 294 races during the 31-day season.

Average daily handle for the 31-day summer race meet was a record $18.69 million, an increase of 1.5% from last year's $18.41 million, the previous record. Total wagering for the meet increased to $579.24 million, compared to the $570.78 million wagered during the 2021 summer session.

On-track business increased over 2021. Average daily wagering of $1.52 million represented 4.8% growth over last year's $1.45 million. Total attendance of 278,702 resulted in a gain of 16.1% from 2021's total of 240,030.

Andy Asaro 09-12-2022 07:39 AM

My take is that the 2 year old two turn turf racing made a HUGE difference in the meet. 2 Year old two turn turf racing was rare in previous years and I have a feeling that the 2 year olds who raced on the turf will be sounder in the long run for running on one of the best turf courses in the Country. Great job by David Jerkens for carding those races. It was outstanding. I still think Del Mar needs to run more races out of the chute.

The biggest downside once again were the Stewards. They made one call on Saturday that was so bad it's hard to believe they made it. They left Mike Smith up even though he cut off a horse that only lost by a half length. Then yesterday they take a horse down in a HUGE field on the turf for minor bumping. And on top of that THEY TAKE FOREVER to make their calls. This is unacceptable and there has to be a change at the CHRB. The Track Executives and the TOC MUST step up.

ronsmac 09-12-2022 10:16 AM

9.1 horses per race was fantastic. I remember Del Mar hitting 8.8 a couple of times but this was beyond expectations. A great meeting from beginning to end.

Andy Asaro 09-12-2022 11:28 AM

cj 09-12-2022 11:35 AM

As many have said, a dirt course can be as safe as a synthetic course.

dilanesp 09-12-2022 11:36 AM

I'm glad you led with the zero fatalities- California has done a great job of cutting horse deaths, something that really could have killed the sport here given the amount of support for animal rights.

And yes, field sizes were great, racing was competitive, and Flightline was awesome.

The only problem was attendance. A Del Mar summer meet with empty grandstands and infields is foreboding for the long-term interest in the sport in California.

the little guy 09-12-2022 11:41 AM

It still would be nice if the CA tracks publicly reported their actual handle numbers, and didn't add in simucast dollars bet on other tracks both at the host track and simulcast outlets, thus double counting and inflating their numbers.

classhandicapper 09-12-2022 11:42 AM

That on track attendance figure was surprising and encouraging.

Andy Asaro 09-12-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the little guy (Post 2830121)
It still would be nice if the CA tracks publicly reported their actual handle numbers, and didn't add in simucast dollars bet on other tracks both at the host track and simulcast outlets, thus double counting and inflating their numbers.

Right. They should break it down. Handle on a tracks product is what's most important.

Handle is also a little misleading, especially the last several years. It's possible that handle is up and revenue is down depending on where the bets come from.

dilanesp 09-12-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2830122)
That on track attendance figure was surprising and encouraging.

Not really. The increase is from a pandemic trough, plus they ran more dates this year (they reported total, not average per day!).

If you actually went to the track this season, it was pretty empty. Very sad for a place that thrives on a big crowd of young people enjoying the races in the sunshine.

ronsmac 09-12-2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2830130)
Not really. The increase is from a pandemic trough, plus they ran more dates this year (they reported total, not average per day!).

If you actually went to the track this season, it was pretty empty. Very sad for a place that thrives on a big crowd of young people enjoying the races in the sunshine.

I thought they ran 31 days last year also? I’ll have to double check.

dilanesp 09-12-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronsmac (Post 2830131)
I thought they ran 31 days last year also? I’ll have to double check.

You are right. They ended later this year, but also started later. Still, it was a pandemic trough.

elhelmete 09-12-2022 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2830135)
You are right. They ended later this year, but also started later. Still, it was a pandemic trough.

No trough.

dilanesp 09-12-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhelmete (Post 2830139)
No trough.

They averaged over 13,000 in 2019, the last non-pandemic year, and under 9,000 this year. Yes, they were up from the trough last year, but that's still a historically terrible number for Del Mar.

Andy Asaro 09-12-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2830143)
They averaged over 13,000 in 2019, the last non-pandemic year, and under 9,000 this year. Yes, they were up from the trough last year, but that's still a historically terrible number for Del Mar.

They aren't pushing attendance and there are no concerts. I don't know why but they seem to like a smaller crowd