Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Its amazing how many want to rip Beyer (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122591)

Valuist 05-08-2015 12:21 AM

Its amazing how many want to rip Beyer

I had googled an article about poking holes in baseball sabermetrics, but to my surprise, the article starts off with a diatribe ripping, who else? Andrew Beyer.
Kind of funny how this criticism basically says that Beyer says bet the highest Beyer. No mention of trips, of which he wrote a whole book on, explaining how figures are determined by trips. No mention of anything else. Again, this writer should stick to baseball.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/death-to-sabermetrics/

thaskalos 05-08-2015 12:32 AM

When did Beyer claim that "he could tell you with a 100% certainty which horse will win each race"? Shouldn't someone actually READ the book before he starts trashing its author?

PhantomOnTour 05-08-2015 12:51 AM

Was the article written tongue-in-cheek?
It's dated April Fool's Day 2011

johnhannibalsmith 05-08-2015 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Was the article written tongue-in-cheek?
It's dated April Fool's Day 2011

I'd say so. Pretty sure that is a cohort of FanGraphs and most of their editorializing is rooted in sabermetric analysis.

dnlgfnk 05-08-2015 01:56 AM

For sure. The combox gets it about April Fools'.

Yet, there are some truths to the satire. Rather than draft Hanley Ramirez as I would have in the second round (tough "trip" last year with injuries, weaker LA lineup...speculated "easier trip" this year with the Green Monster bandbox), I went with Robby Cano's FanGraphs projected offensive WAR of 14.1.

Still waiting into May on his 2nd hr...

DeltaLover 05-08-2015 06:56 AM

The writer of the article is clueless when it comes to speed figures and has no idea of Beyer's theories. Although I think that his figures are dated and better alternatives exist today, AB is one of the monumental figures of American Handicappers and his writings presented some of the most innovative and influential ideas around... Don't bother with this article, at least not with any of its references to horse racing, since the author does not seem to know much about it.

cj 05-08-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaLover
The writer of the article is clueless when it comes to speed figures and has no idea of Beyer's theories. Although I think that his figures are dated and better alternatives exist today, AB is one of the monumental figures of American Handicappers and his writings presented some of the most innovative and influential ideas around... Don't bother with this article, at least not with any of its references to horse racing, since the author does not seem to know much about it.

I'm pretty sure this was pure satire, including the part about Beyer.

Quote:

For all these reasons, and many more, we should stop using Sabermetrics as of this date, April 1, 2011.

thaskalos 05-08-2015 12:21 PM

If the readers are unsure whether a piece is satire or not...then the writer needs help with his craft.

Tom 05-08-2015 12:27 PM

Or the readers need help with their comprehension.;)

thaskalos 05-08-2015 01:18 PM

That too... :)

Stillriledup 05-08-2015 03:06 PM

When i hear the word "rip" i think of Cubs manager Lee Elia and his famous rant (you can hear it on youtube if you've never heard it before) and he uses "rip them bleepedy bleeps". :D

As far as Beyer getting "ripped" i never realized Andy had a lot of detractors, what's not to love?

thaskalos 05-08-2015 03:13 PM

If Beyer had a fan club, then I would be its president. The man is a bona fide legend...and the greatest ambassador that our game ever had. If there was no Andy Beyer...then there would be an urgent need to invent one. :ThmbUp:

Saratoga_Mike 05-08-2015 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
When i hear the word "rip" i think of Cubs manager Lee Elia and his famous rant (you can hear it on youtube if you've never heard it before) and he uses "rip them bleepedy bleeps". :D

As far as Beyer getting "ripped" i never realized Andy had a lot of detractors, what's not to love?

While his number of detractors are far fewer than yours, they're still out there SRU.

Stillriledup 05-08-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos
If Beyer had a fan club, then I would be its president. The man is a bona fide legend...and the greatest ambassador that our game ever had. If there was no Andy Beyer...then there would be an urgent need to invent one. :ThmbUp:

I know what you are saying. There's nothing not to like about him.

[YT="The Man"]Cud3mLtldjs[/YT]

lansdale 05-08-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuist
I had googled an article about poking holes in baseball sabermetrics, but to my surprise, the article starts off with a diatribe ripping, who else? Andrew Beyer.
Kind of funny how this criticism basically says that Beyer says bet the highest Beyer. No mention of trips, of which he wrote a whole book on, explaining how figures are determined by trips. No mention of anything else. Again, this writer should stick to baseball.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/death-to-sabermetrics/

Clearly a lame attempt at satire by a young 'moneyball' guy supposedly mimicking the voice of the aging fans who have ridiculed his approach to the game. I think the giveaway is the quote from a man who was set straight Joe McCarthy in 1936. Those still in doubt should take a look at the home page.