Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RTN Roku (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133796)

Dmcwally 10-04-2016 07:10 AM

RTN Roku

RTN has just released a roku app. It's available on their login website to set up. and it's really easy to use and very fast. Excellent hd picture quality as well

burnsy 10-04-2016 09:49 AM

Can you explain how to use that? I'd really appreciate it. I'm an old technically challenged individual with ROKU. I only use Netflix. Thanks.

John

Dmcwally 10-04-2016 11:56 AM

I'm just going to post the instructions. They can explain it easier.

http://rtn.tv/rokuhelp.aspx

thespaah 10-04-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsy
Can you explain how to use that? I'd really appreciate it. I'm an old technically challenged individual with ROKU. I only use Netflix. Thanks.

John

I suppose one must sub to the TV version of RTN as opposed to the on on line version

therussmeister 10-05-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah
I suppose one must sub to the TV version of RTN as opposed to the on on line version

The link provided says no. All subscribers can use it.

titans1127 10-05-2016 10:16 AM

Normally I only subscribe to RTN online for random months just to use the service. I like the interface and the HD feeds for certain tracks. The feed quality tends to be better overall compared to Twinspires or Xpressbet. Thankfully I have a Roku and signed up for another month to try it out. It might be enough to get my business for a full year.

Fox 11-04-2016 01:56 PM

Just linked my Roku to my RTN account. Great picture, but I am disappointed that there definitely is a significant delay from the internet feed. I counted about 25 to 30 seconds. Oh well.

Lafecs 11-04-2016 02:11 PM

I hooked this up for myself a couple of weeks ago - it's good. For those looking for High Def feeds this is THE best option out there. It's true there is probably a 20 - 30 second delay from the actual live feed. However, it enables you to watch any track, at any time you want. It also completely bypasses TVG and all the commercials and other garbage. You can get a Roku stick on amazon for $50. You're going to need a High-Def TV with an HDMI and USB port, as well as a solid wireless internet connection. I think a subscription to RTN is $25/month.

titans1127 11-04-2016 03:30 PM

I was noticing about a 40 second delay. Not an issue if I'm just watching but if I'm betting last minute then a high chance of getting shut out. Definitely awesome for the HD feeds but its likely easier to just connect my laptop to my monitor to shrink and watch that way to avoid the delay.

Alc 11-05-2016 08:44 AM

I implemented the ROKU app. Beautiful picture for 30 t0 40 minutes. Then the picture is lost. This happened over and over. Spoke to rtn rep and to roku rep and then to uverse rep. No help. I think that it is a uverse problem which limits streamin of Hi def. Was always watching the hi def transmission from NYRA on every occasion. Just a warning and wondering if any one else has same problem. BTW it did appear to work ok when watching standard transmission for NFLD.

savant 11-18-2016 03:30 PM

Is it me,or does this RTN Roku app really suck big time?
It takes a while to retrieve the signal,and it is constantly loading(buffering).
And don't talk about the quality of some of those feeds.
They have a delay,and the streams of some of the tracks,especially the
Greyhound tracks look like those choppy pixelated video streams one used
to get in the early days of the Internet.
And bear in mind I have high speed Internet with 300 Mbps download speed.
The TVG feed is also not available,and neither do you have the possibility
to watch the race replays with this app.
I am really disappointed with this Roku app.
I can not believe a reputable company like RTN.TV can release a subpar
product like this in this day and age.:bang:

thespaah 11-18-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savant
Is it me,or does this RTN Roku app really suck big time?
It takes a while to retrieve the signal,and it is constantly loading(buffering).
And don't talk about the quality of some of those feeds.
They have a delay,and the streams of some of the tracks,especially the
Greyhound tracks look like those choppy pixelated video streams one used
to get in the early days of the Internet.
And bear in mind I have high speed Internet with 300 Mbps download speed.
The TVG feed is also not available,and neither do you have the possibility
to watch the race replays with this app.
I am really disappointed with this Roku app.
I can not believe a reputable company like RTN.TV can release a subpar
product like this in this day and age.:bang:

What is your connection speed? Download/Upload?
Are you on a cable ISP( Time Warner/Charter? Optimum?....Comcast?
Or is your ISP through AT&T( U Verse) or Verizon( FiOS)?
If it is the former, and you live in a well populated area, chances are you are sharing a node with many other customers. Internet traffic will bog down due to the number of users on the node that feeds your neighborhood.
if you are on one of the Telco providers, you may have a service issue which would require a tech visit.

JimG 11-19-2016 07:20 AM

I used it for a month. My connection is hard wired and about 100mb download. Anyhow, I found the popular tracks, like Keeneland and NYRA to buffer after about a few minutes. Although the Stronach tracks, like SA and GP streamed fine. The less popular tracks also seemed to stream fine. That tells me they do not have enough bandwidth for some tracks during heavy usage times. The NYRA app I have works great and I have had no issues with other apps I use to stream. Bottom line, it could use some work and I did not renew.

Jim

savant 11-19-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah
What is your connection speed? Download/Upload?
Are you on a cable ISP( Time Warner/Charter? Optimum?....Comcast?
Or is your ISP through AT&T( U Verse) or Verizon( FiOS)?
If it is the former, and you live in a well populated area, chances are you are sharing a node with many other customers. Internet traffic will bog down due to the number of users on the node that feeds your neighborhood.
if you are on one of the Telco providers, you may have a service issue which would require a tech visit.

Like I mentioned in my post my download speed is 300 Mbps,and my upload
speed is 30 Mbps.
I am using Cox.
I am sure it is not my Internet connection because I have several IPTV
services on my Roku,and another box,and I don't have none of the problems I am experiencing with the Roku RTN app streams.

titans1127 11-19-2016 10:17 PM

I used it for a month and gave up after the subscription expired. App needs major fixing. No issues with the streams themselves but when trying to go back to the main menu after watching one track for any real length of time would just yield me a black screen and I would have to pull the power and reboot the Roku box.

If I ever pay for a month of service again, I find it easier to hook my laptop up to an external monitor as a second screen and just use the browser in full screen.