Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   College Football (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166575)

zico20 09-05-2021 05:14 PM

College Football

I know the first week isn't finished yet but it appears Alabama and Georgia are the top two by far. I have never seen a defense as dominating like Georgia was against a top team. If they can find some offense going forward they can give Alabama a run for their money. Alabama finally has a defense that will be tough to penetrate. Their front seven were very impressive even though Miami's offensive line sucks.

Love seeing Montana take down overrated Washington. My favorite team BYU starts nicely by taking down a Power 5 foe in Arizona. Love that college footbal is back!:ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett 09-05-2021 06:01 PM

Thought LSU would give a better performance vs. UCLA. They were 2 pt. favorites and played like a 20 pt. underdog. UCLA will definitely break into the top 20 next week. They completely wore down LSU's defense on the ground.

46zilzal 09-05-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett (Post 2752190)
Thought LSU would give a better performance vs. UCLA. They were 2 pt. favorites and played like a 20 pt. underdog. UCLA will definitely break into the top 20 next week. They completely wore down LSU's defense on the ground.

The UCLA QB has finally matured and no longer panics and it has been the difference. GO BRUINS.

Hail to the hills of Westwood
TO the mighty seas below
Hail to our Alma Mater
She will conquer every foe.
For we’re loyal to the Southland,
Her honor we’ll uphold;
We’ll gladly give our hearts to thee,
To the Blue and to the Gold.

Inner Dirt 09-06-2021 07:47 AM

UCLA fan here, glad to see them off to a good start, hoping they are as good as they looked and not a case of LSU being ranked way too high. Hate to see them with an off week coming up after a big win.

myohmyjustify 09-06-2021 11:07 AM

Never been a big Chip Kelly fan but it looks like he's put together a good team for this year. Yes, one game doesn't make a season but UCLA did show athleticism, toughness and enthusiasm -- factors missing at UCLA for many, many years.

Good luck to the Bruins and Kelly the rest of the season.

Marshall Bennett 09-06-2021 11:49 AM

Even with some sub-par teams, UCLA has always played well at home. Why is this such a factor with some college teams, and others not as much. They beat Texas at home a couple times in the past when the Longhorns had good teams and high hopes. They've been spoilers for several teams over the years early on in the season...home openers in particular. LSU being the latest victim.

CheckMark 09-06-2021 12:30 PM

I don't know if anyone on here bets or handicaps Pro/College Football but if a few people on here wanted to post picks with me ATS (Against The Spread) for the next few weeks it would be fun

Let me know what you guys think and I can start up a thread for NCAAF and NFL

No fees or anything just bragging rights but I can keep track of records etc

Marshall Bennett 09-06-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2752304)
I don't know if anyone on here bets or handicaps Pro/College Football but if a few people on here wanted to post picks with me ATS (Against The Spread) for the next few weeks it would be fun

Let me know what you guys think and I can start up a thread for NCAAF and NFL

No fees or anything just bragging rights but I can keep track of records etc

We used to do college and pros both. I prefer college, but few others ever posted. I'm in if you start a thread.

CheckMark 09-06-2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett (Post 2752377)
We used to do college and pros both. I prefer college, but few others ever posted. I'm in if you start a thread.

Ok I will do both College and Pro but separate threads though to keep it between the 2.

I was also thinking if I were to post odds would it be fair to post what the odds are on the starting day of the current week? For example Pro Football starts on Thursday and College would normally start Wednesday/Thursday and sometimes Friday.

It's either that or whatever the odds are on the day of the game(s). I will use VegasInsider as the odds line.

Let me know please and I will start the threads.

PS: If you and everyone that is playing I would recommend posting picks early in order to not get shut out and to also keep a running tally of what your record is.

jocko699 09-06-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2752400)
Ok I will do both College and Pro but separate threads though to keep it between the 2.

I was also thinking if I were to post odds would it be fair to post what the odds are on the starting day of the current week? For example Pro Football starts on Thursday and College would normally start Wednesday/Thursday and sometimes Friday.

It's either that or whatever the odds are on the day of the game(s). I will use VegasInsider as the odds line.

Let me know please and I will start the threads.

PS: If you and everyone that is playing I would recommend posting picks early in order to not get shut out and to also keep a running tally of what your record is.

I'm also in CM.

CheckMark 09-06-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2752402)
I'm also in CM.

:ThmbUp:

Inner Dirt 09-07-2021 03:10 PM

How does Notre Dame climb a spot or two depending on the poll after blowing an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter against an unranked opponent and winning in OT by a FG? It has always seemed to me ND has always been ranked higher than they should.

Marshall Bennett 09-07-2021 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2752522)
How does Notre Dame climb a spot or two depending on the poll after blowing an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter against an unranked opponent and winning in OT by a FG? It has always seemed to me ND has always been ranked higher than they should.

ND and about a half dozen others. Put Texas near the top of the list...they haven't had a decent program in years. Recruitment is killing them. Once the pride of the state, now its a left-wing playhouse few parents want their kid around. A&M and Oklahoma are getting all the best recruits now.

CheckMark 09-08-2021 06:29 PM

I will be putting up Pro Thread up tomorrow and then College on Friday

Lines will be from VegasInsider and you lock in at those odds/picks when you hit submit whenever you do them

Deadlines for all games this week for Pro is before kickoff and for College it will be Friday before kickoff of the 1st game.

Let me know if there is anything else I should add.

And fyi there is no prize (would go against rules of having paid contest prize): Just bragging rights!

CheckMark 09-08-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2752766)
I will be putting up Pro Thread up tomorrow and then College on Friday

Lines will be from VegasInsider and you lock in at those odds/picks when you hit submit whenever you do them

Deadlines for all games this week for Pro is before kickoff and for College it will be Friday before kickoff of the 1st game.

Let me know if there is anything else I should add.

And fyi there is no prize (would go against rules of having paid contest prize): Just bragging rights!

Sorry deadlines for this week for Pro would be all picks submitted before kickoff on Thursday and College would be all picks before 1st game kickoff on Friday.

Inner Dirt 09-11-2021 06:13 PM

Notre Dame needs a TD with 69 seconds left to beat Toledo 32-29, and they were at home to boot. Let us see where they go ranking wise next week from the current #8 spot.

Elkchester Road 09-11-2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2753436)
Notre Dame needs a TD with 69 seconds left to beat Toledo 32-29, and they were at home to boot. Let us see where they go ranking wise next week from the current #8 spot.

Since it is Notre Dame...probably #7.

:bang::bang::bang:

Zydeco 09-11-2021 08:21 PM

#12 Oregon beat #3 Ohio State at Ohio State today. OSU will be #6 and Oregon will be #7 or 8. lol.

Inner Dirt 09-11-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2753436)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elkchester Road (Post 2753461)
Since it is Notre Dame...probably #7.

:bang::bang::bang:

Sounds insane, but I would not bet against it.

Elkchester Road 09-11-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2753488)
Sounds insane, but I would not bet against it.

Inner Dirt :):ThmbUp:

zico20 09-12-2021 07:58 AM

What an exciting week it was. Florida St. stunned on a 60 yard pass on the final play to lose to FCS Jacksonville St. That doesn't sit well for Notre Dame who needed OT to beat them. A team who has been quietly good for years is Appalachian St. They almost pulled the upset at Miami. Remember when they went into Michigan as a FCS school and beat them. Looks like another overrated team is USC, what a horrible performance against Stanford along with Texas who got mauled.

What a week for my BYU Cougars! First joining the Big 12 and then breaking a 9 game losing streak against arch rival Utah. They better move into the top 20.

Here is my top 10 after this week. Notice you don't see Notre Dame in there!

1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Texas AM
4 Oklahoma
5 Oregon
6 Clemson
7 Cincinnati
8 Iowa
9 Ohio St.
10 Florida

Inner Dirt 09-12-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2753573)
Looks like another overrated team is USC, what a horrible performance against Stanford along with Texas who got mauled.

USC, who I hate because I am a UCLA fan, is another team that like Notre Dame is over rated. Nice to see them get lit up. Two garbage time TDs made it look more respectable than it was 42-28.

Marshall Bennett 09-12-2021 12:00 PM

Texas looked like a high school JV against Arkansas.
What an overrated pile of crap.
Ohio St. as usual was also overrated.
Many played badly. Even Alabama let lowly Mercer push them around for the first 7 minutes of play.
Highly ranked Iowa St. at home played like shit as well and lost.
Not an easy task handicapping games so early in the season. Its too easy to follow the polls and not know the team's true ability.

This week : Illinois +10 (Lost)
Oregon +14.5 (Won)
Notre Dame -17 (Lost)
Georgia -22.5 (Won)
Iowa St. -4 (Lost)
Miss. St. +1 (Won)
Arkansas +7 (Won)

Season: 4-3

Marshall Bennett 09-12-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2753573)
What an exciting week it was. Florida St. stunned on a 60 yard pass on the final play to lose to FCS Jacksonville St. That doesn't sit well for Notre Dame who needed OT to beat them. A team who has been quietly good for years is Appalachian St. They almost pulled the upset at Miami. Remember when they went into Michigan as a FCS school and beat them. Looks like another overrated team is USC, what a horrible performance against Stanford along with Texas who got mauled.

What a week for my BYU Cougars! First joining the Big 12 and then breaking a 9 game losing streak against arch rival Utah. They better move into the top 20.

Here is my top 10 after this week. Notice you don't see Notre Dame in there!

1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Texas AM
4 Oklahoma
5 Oregon
6 Clemson
7 Cincinnati
8 Iowa
9 Ohio St.
10 Florida

My top 10 :
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma
5. Notre Dame
6. Ohio St.
7. Texas A&M
8. Florida
9. Penn St.
10. Oregon

zico20 09-19-2021 12:58 PM

Week 3 was exciting! I can't believe Alabama was a 15 point favorite at Florida. Great game, Florida is moving up in my rankings despite the loss. Lots of top teams struggled, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, Clemson, Ohio St., Notre Dame. Some of the others were playing cupcakes. Being from Missouri you can kind of guess I am a SEC/Big 12 fan. Love seeing West Virginia take down #15 Virginia Tech. It turns out Miami was ranked way too high as they got pummeled by Michigan St. How far has Florida St. fallen to get destroyed by Wake Forest. That is humiliating. Clemson better find an offense or they will get beat again and their goes their playoff run. To score only 14 points at home against Georgia Tech has to be worrisome for Tiger fans.

Did anyone see the end of the SMU-Louisiana Tech game? SMU threw a Hail Mary on the final play to win it. How good is Fresno St? They went into UCLA and stunned the #13 Bruins. Then again, they played Oregon tough all the way to the end. What a fourth quarter, maybe the best you will see all year.

How about my BYU, took down Arizona St to go to 3-0. All three wins were against Pac 12 teams, two of which were ranked. They will no doubt move into the top 20.

My top 10 for this week!

1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Oregon
4 Texas A&M
5 Oklahoma
6 Florida
7 Iowa
8 Cincinnati
9 Ohio St.
10 Clemson

Next two are obviously Penn St. and Notre Dame

Marshall Bennett 09-19-2021 05:08 PM

That looks good to me. I'd swap #9 and 10 around is all.

zico20 09-26-2021 05:45 PM

Week four in the books! Bye bye Clemson from the playoff, their six year run is over.:jump: Looks like the ACC is all but certain not to get a spot. Clemson and North Carolina have been major disappointments. While not too many marquee matchups it turned out to be a good day watching. I think Arkansas is for real, they dominated Texas A&M. Iowa struggles at home against lowly Colorado St. and Oklahoma got lucky. Love seeing USC go down in flames once again. Penn St. win over Auburn doesn't look that good after they got fortunate to beat Georgia St. Next week is a doozy with Cincinnati at Notre dame and Arkansas at Georgia.

My top 10

1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Oregon
4 Cincinnati
5 Iowa
6 Penn St.
7 Oklahoma
8 Florida
9 Arkansas
10 Notre Dame

Next two are Ohio St. and Mississippi

JustRalph 09-26-2021 08:10 PM

I see lots more upsets on the horizon

zico20 10-03-2021 05:29 PM

Week 5 in the books! All that talk from so many that Mississippi was going to take down Alabama was absurd. It is clear them and Georgia are separating from the rest, and in a big way. If Cincinnati runs the table they deserve a top four spot. They put Notre Dame to shame! Looks like that UCLA talk was just that after a blowout loss to Arizona St. Oklahoma still doesn't impress me, won't be surprised if Texas beats them this Saturday. As Texas A&M keeps falling Kentucky rises from nowhere. So many of these preseason polls are so so far off. Iowa-Penn St. could be a great one! The AP has my BYU at #10. :jump:

My top 10 (3-5 you could flip a coin, nothing separates them)

1 Alabama
2 Georgia
3 Iowa
4 Cincinnati
5 Penn St.
6 Oklahoma
7 Michigan
8 Ohio St.
9 BYU
10 Oregon

Just out Michigan St.

zico20 10-10-2021 07:02 PM

Can we just hand Georgia the national title right now? The problem with Alabama is that they don't have any standout receivers like they did the past few years. Young couldn't hit an elephant in the ass from 15 yards away. When you give up two long drives inside of five minutes with the game on the line you are not title contender in my book. Four great games Mississippi-Arkansas; Oklahoma-Texas; Iowa-Penn St. and obviously the Alabama game. How much longer can Oklahoma's luck hold?

My prediction halfway through is Georgia, Ohio St, Cincinnati and Iowa in the playoff. If Oklahoma would somehow manage to win out they would be in over the loser of the Big 10 game, which I think will be Iowa. I have a feeling Ohio St. is going to run the table for some reason. Alabama will lose to Georgia in the SEC title game and they are gone from contention.

My top 10

1 Georgia
2 Iowa
3 Cincinnati
4 Alabama
5 Oklahoma
6 Ohio St.
7 Penn St.
8 Kentucky
9 Michigan
10 Michigan St.

Next two Oregon and Oklahoma St.