Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Track Announcers Moving Around (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121292)

Redbullsnation 03-21-2015 06:05 PM

Track Announcers Moving Around

Jon Horowitz is the new track announcer for Turf Paradise replacing Mike Chamberlain who is replacing John McGray at Evangeline who is replacing Frank at the County Fairs who is replacing Travis Stone at the Monmouth Park who is replacing Larry Collmus at Churchill who is replacing Tom Durkin at NYRA. DAMN

Stillriledup 03-21-2015 06:26 PM

No more Some Partee at Evd...thank god. :D

Al Gobbi 03-21-2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
No more Some Partee at Evd...thank god. :D

pretty sure you'll still hear it from Chamberlain.

Also, no news yet on who will end up replacing Loiselle at Woodbine when he retires at the end of May.

DJofSD 03-21-2015 07:53 PM

Wow! with all of the coordination and what-have-you required to pull off all of those changes, you would expect there was some professional help involved.

Did some one call a Catholic archbishop or two for some help?

Stillriledup 03-21-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Gobbi

Also, no news yet on who will end up replacing Loiselle at Woodbine when he retires at the end of May.

Good, will save me from ever making a bet at that place.

Canarsie 03-22-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'n wrong but the only announcer who hasn't made a move up (while employed) the ladder is Dave Rodman from the Maryland circuit. He performs his job well imo.

Haven't heard anything about Vic Stauffer wonder if he put in an application for Woodbine.

While it would be a major move give Dawn Lupol a big shot at Woodbine. There are only a rare few who could work harder than her in the business. There might be a few bumps in the road but being a Canadian also means she could have the gig for a very long time. This is an industry that breaks gender barriers quicker than others I really would like to see her get it.

theiman 03-22-2015 11:48 AM

Any chance Woodbine brings in Don Cherry from Hockey Night in Canada to call the races?
Probably wouldnt get one horse's name right but he would let you know which horses are gutless or wimps. :lol:

olddaddy 03-22-2015 11:59 AM

It would have been nice if Mr. Stauffer was on the fair circuit but that may interfere with his blue gig.

Maximillion 03-22-2015 12:17 PM

The guy from Calder should have a job somewhere if he wants it imo.

Appy 03-22-2015 01:00 PM

I don't like dissing on any of those guys, but if changes happen at a the track or two I might quit muting the sound as soon as they spring the gates. One (who shall remain nameless) in particular...

ranchwest 03-22-2015 01:35 PM

The announcers at Evangeline Downs have been using "Ils son partis" for as long as I can remember. And that's a very long time.

Some_One 03-22-2015 02:18 PM

Add in Darren Flindal going from HK to Sydney, was kinda strange hearing him call the Golden Slipper card at Rosehill Friday night.

ultracapper 03-22-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranchwest
The announcers at Evangeline Downs have been using "Ils son partis" for as long as I can remember. And that's a very long time.

Ils sont partis - They depart

v j stauffer 03-22-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appy
I don't like dissing on any of those guys, but if changes happen at a the track or two I might quit muting the sound as soon as they spring the gates. One (who shall remain nameless) in particular...

Actually whomever you're speaking of isn't nameless. You've just chosen to not write his name in your post.

goatchaser 03-23-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Actually whomever you're speaking of isn't nameless. You've just chosen to not write his name in your post.

Vic get your A** back out there. I miss your race calling. As far as i'm concerned you were one of the best in the country.

jeebus1083 03-23-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranchwest

John McGary didn't use start each race with "Il Sont Partis" for the first couple of seasons that he called at EvD, because he didn't want to feel "pressured" into doing it. He finally relented when he was ready.

v j stauffer 03-24-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatchaser
Vic get your A** back out there. I miss your race calling. As far as i'm concerned you were one of the best in the country.

What's my ARM got to do with race calling? Thanks for the kind words. "Were" is slightly troubling. I am only 55. :)

lamboguy 03-24-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

What's my ARM got to do with race calling? Thanks for the kind words. "Were" is slightly troubling. I am only 55. :)

just wonder if you are still a racing steward somewhere and if you are not are you going to get involved with buying or claiming horses somewhere?

for the record, i have a big picture of DECLAN'S MOON in my house and underneath it says "its a total eclipse".

i was on that gelding in Timonium for $60,000 and Samantha Siegal wound up paying $125,000. she is a great horse person with a super trainer in California with Ron Ellis and i am very happy they did so well with that horse.

v j stauffer 03-24-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy
just wonder if you are still a racing steward somewhere and if you are not are you going to get involved with buying or claiming horses somewhere?

for the record, i have a big picture of DECLAN'S MOON in my house and underneath it says "its a total eclipse".

i was on that gelding in Timonium for $60,000 and Samantha Siegal wound up paying $125,000. she is a great horse person with a super trainer in California with Ron Ellis and i am very happy they did so well with that horse.

I'm a full time California State Steward

Redbullsnation 03-24-2015 05:39 PM

Woodbine should bring in Richard Grunder to Canada :D

Nah...hopefully someone like Vic or Johnson (latter is well underrated in this board) comes in and take it

Some_One 03-24-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbullsnation
Woodbine should bring in Richard Grunder to Canada :D

Nah...hopefully someone like Vic or Johnson (latter is well underrated in this board) comes in and take it

The thought of Dawn Lupul calling the Queens Plate this year makes me shiver in fear. I really hope we can find a top caliber announcer for that weekend.

thespaah 03-24-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Loiselle is finally hanging up the binocs?....Wow . He's been there forever.
As far as the trademark from the current announcer Evangeline, I doubt we'll hear it from his successor.
In show business, and yes track announcers are in a manner of speaking in the entertainment business, one does not copy another's "schtick"....It just isn't done.
No one ever does Mel Allen's "How about that!"...Of Keith Jackson's "Whoa nellie!!!"..Or Marv Albert's "Yesssssssssssss"...Or Ed Mc Mahon's "HI YOOOO!!!"

thespaah 03-25-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJofSD
Wow! with all of the coordination and what-have-you required to pull off all of those changes, you would expect there was some professional help involved.

Did some one call a Catholic archbishop or two for some help?

No. But I could see where it may have required couple veteran air traffic controllers from New York Center to handle this.... :lol:

thespaah 03-25-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Correct me if I'n wrong but the only announcer who hasn't made a move up (while employed) the ladder is Dave Rodman from the Maryland circuit. He performs his job well imo.

Haven't heard anything about Vic Stauffer wonder if he put in an application for Woodbine.

While it would be a major move give Dawn Lupol a big shot at Woodbine. There are only a rare few who could work harder than her in the business. There might be a few bumps in the road but being a Canadian also means she could have the gig for a very long time. This is an industry that breaks gender barriers quicker than others I really would like to see her get it.

Good point. Maybe Rodman has a pretty good contract that pays well. And he gets to call the Preakness every year.....

thespaah 03-25-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Come on Vic....We need back out there on the mic!!!!

thespaah 03-25-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

I'm a full time California State Steward

Are you still officiating basketball?
Or no time for that?

v j stauffer 03-25-2015 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespaah
Are you still officiating basketball?
Or no time for that?

Always time for Basketball. Did 70 games this season. Got up to Varsity Girls at the end of the year. My goal is to do more of that and break into Varsity Boys next year.

I'm going to a 3 man mechanics summer camp which I think will really help.

Right now I'm in the middle of High School baseball season. Have several Varsity assignments. Hoping to get some playoff games this year. It's just my second year in this association.

Have a game tomorrow at Justin Sienna High school in Napa. Just a mile or so from where the Raiders hold their training camp. I'm on the dish.

wisconsin 03-25-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

As far as the trademark from the current announcer Evangeline, I doubt we'll hear it from his successor.

Herb Holiday, Scott Bierne, and McGarry all used the phrase. It will continue to be used by Chamberlain, I am certain.

therussmeister 03-25-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin
Herb Holiday, Scott Bierne, and McGarry all used the phrase. It will continue to be used by Chamberlain, I am certain.

Maybe it's in their contract. :)

thespaah 03-26-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Always time for Basketball. Did 70 games this season. Got up to Varsity Girls at the end of the year. My goal is to do more of that and break into Varsity Boys next year.

I'm going to a 3 man mechanics summer camp which I think will really help.

Right now I'm in the middle of High School baseball season. Have several Varsity assignments. Hoping to get some playoff games this year. It's just my second year in this association.

Have a game tomorrow at Justin Sienna High school in Napa. Just a mile or so from where the Raiders hold their training camp. I'm on the dish.

I'm going to umpire this summer. Been a while, but with all the tournament baseball in this area, they are in need of umpires.
BTW, I said it's been a while. Had to buy the protective gear..It's much lighter, but it's pricey..
I'll let ya know how it goes. I love the game of baseball. And the money is good...
Can't wait to deal with the parents....Oh joy...
Anyway..Is there any chance at all you'll be back on the mic?

thespaah 03-26-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin

Really?..Ok I had no idea. So it's a track thing. Not the phrase of an individual announcer....Thanks

Peter Berry 03-26-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Really?..Ok I had no idea. So it's a track thing. Not the phrase of an individual announcer....Thanks

Maybe it's just a French thing. Perhaps Chamberlain will be allowed to start each race with his own French phrase.

M Chamberlain 04-07-2015 10:37 PM

Actually, guys, I will be saying "Ils Son Partis" for the 1st race every night at Evangeline Downs and then my usual "They Are Off". I think it's important to still honor the track's tradition and then do my own thing. Tomorrow is Opening Night and I am excited to get started in a new place.

johnhannibalsmith 04-08-2015 01:29 AM

I'm really having a tough time remembering to switch back to the live feed when I'm doing something else without "set for the start!" to alert me to the situation.

Grits 04-08-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Chamberlain
Actually, guys, I will be saying "Ils Son Partis" for the 1st race every night at Evangeline Downs and then my usual "They Are Off". I think it's important to still honor the track's tradition and then do my own thing. Tomorrow is Opening Night and I am excited to get started in a new place.

Good luck and enjoy! Its exciting whenever one is beginning "their new gig".

Welcome to Pace Advantage.:)

Inner Dirt 04-08-2015 11:00 AM

I always listened intently to what the EVD track announcers were saying and could never figure it out. I now know it is "Ils Son Partis" and what it means, the internet can be a wonderful thing.

Not wanting to start another thread is there a place to find track announcer history by track, my searches yield nothing. I am curious who the track announcer was at Los Alamitos in the late 70's and early 80's use to say "Their running" when the gates opened.

Also who was Dave Johnson's back up during that same period at Santa Anita.

SandyW 04-08-2015 11:30 AM

"Ils Son Partis" = They are gone, in this case they are off.

ReplayRandall 04-08-2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I am curious who the track announcer was at Los Alamitos in the late 70's and early 80's use to say "Their running" when the gates opened.

I'm going to guess it was either Joe Alto or Roy Shudt, but those two were harness racing announcers at Los Al.......Ed Burgart has been the Q&T-bred announcer since 1981.

Inner Dirt 04-08-2015 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
I'm going to guess it was either Joe Alto or Roy Shudt, but those two were harness racing announcers at Los Al.......Ed Burgart has been the Q&T-bred announcer since 1981.

It wasn't Joe "There'ye coming home now" Alto, true he did the harness races at Los Alamitos and harness racing at Los Alamitos didn't start till they stopped pacing at Hollywood park in the early 80's. I know it wasn't Alto's voice.
This guy was just before Burgart, I can only say he went back to at least 1975 when I first went to Los Alamitos with my step-dad.

v j stauffer 04-08-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

Bobby Doyle