Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board


Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Breeders' Cup in Mid December?Board set to discuss major event changes (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142955)

Denny 02-05-2018 04:47 PM

BC Sprint
 
BC Limited hurt the Sprint when they added the Dirt Mile.
(the DM also hurts the Classic every year)

Boosting the purse might encourage a larger field. At least that's what they're probably thinking.

Having a FM Dirt Sprint hurts too. remember when great female sprinters used to run - and even beat the boys!

It's a shame what's become of one of the original BC races, the Sprint.

GMB@BP 02-05-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 2272601)
BC Limited hurt the Sprint when they added the Dirt Mile.
(the DM also hurts the Classic every year)

Boosting the purse might encourage a larger field. At least that's what they're probably thinking.

Having a FM Dirt Sprint hurts too. remember when great female sprinters used to run - and even beat the boys!

It's a shame what's become of one of the original BC races, the Sprint.

Thats why I told a friend of mine when they went to the two day format the races really lost that lack of quality.

cj 02-05-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMB@BP (Post 2272609)
Thats why I told a friend of mine when they went to the two day format the races really lost that lack of quality.

The BC is never giving up the second day, it is a cash cow and they charge you almost as much as they do for the Saturday.

It wasn't that long ago turf sprinters had no races at the BC. If you wanted to sprint, you tried dirt. Giving 2yo turf sprinters a BC race is ridiculous.

Afleet 02-05-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG4 (Post 2272581)
So the Breeders' Cup has decided to add a Juvenile Turf Sprint as an official event, and to boost the purse of the dirt sprint. I think whoever is on their board needs to be reevaluated because IMHO, their ideas continue to stink.

Part of the reason they added the turf sprint was because the juvenile turf races routinely oversubscribe. Well yeah, if you're putting up 7 figures for a mediocre race, you're probably going to get a lot of interest. Maybe the BC can sponsor some of those maiden claiming events at 7 1/2 furlongs that Gulfstream seems to use to conclude every day.

The BC people complain handle isn't rising fast enough & they wonder why, and their response is to water down races & introduce the most impossible ones to handicap. My general sense from handicappers is that turf sprints rank #1 in least favorite races to play, so let's start with that, add in a bunch of Europeans with indecipherable form & make it a field of 14 2yo's, just what everyone wants to deal with! They'll probably make it the wraparound race for pick 4's, 5's & 6's since this is clearly the race people are clamoring for. Also they say the distance will be 5 1/2 furlongs, which I believe essentially zero BC host tracks can use as their sprint distance.

Also adding $ to the Sprint purse? The race with the least amount of entrants the last 2 years, despite being the race that apparently all US horses are supposed to be bred to run in, that's the race that deserves the purse boost? You've got to be kidding me with these ideas, not to mention the earlier ones which they considered & shelved.

juvenile turf sprint seems pathetic. I am sure they asked the fans and gamblers about this before being implemented:rolleyes: I agree w/you, I hate turf sprints

Tom 02-05-2018 06:31 PM

The idea behind the BC has been lost.
What' next, the BC Beaten Claimers? The BC Starter Allowance?

Horse used to race all year and then have a championship day.
Now, many just show up late in the year and run the big one.
Might as well rename the Classic the Breeder's Cup Cameo.

Afleet 02-05-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2272642)
The idea behind the BC has been lost.
What' next, the BC Beaten Claimers? The BC Starter Allowance?

Horse used to race all year and then have a championship day.
Now, many just show up late in the year and run the big one.
Might as well rename the Classic the Breeder's Cup Cameo.

BC starter allowance @6f dirt-I'm in-should be a great trifecta race

GMB@BP 02-05-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2272642)
The idea behind the BC has been lost.
What' next, the BC Beaten Claimers? The BC Starter Allowance?

Horse used to race all year and then have a championship day.
Now, many just show up late in the year and run the big one.
Might as well rename the Classic the Breeder's Cup Cameo.

dont give them any ideas................please :ThmbDown:

dilanesp 02-06-2018 01:55 PM

I know people here will laugh, but a BC starter allowance- a sort of claiming horse championship- would be a decent idea.

Denny 02-06-2018 02:03 PM

dilanesp,
We already have that - it's called the Claiming Crown.

dilanesp 02-06-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 2272964)
dilanesp,
We already have that - it's called the Claiming Crown.

No, do it as part of the BC with a half mil puse.

Fager Fan 02-06-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2272613)
The BC is never giving up the second day, it is a cash cow and they charge you almost as much as they do for the Saturday.

It wasn't that long ago turf sprinters had no races at the BC. If you wanted to sprint, you tried dirt. Giving 2yo turf sprinters a BC race is ridiculous.

Their mistake wasn't adding a second day, but making them BC races. They should've made a card of high dollar purse races for all the non-champ divisions they wanted for Friday. Hell, add another day on Thursday too. But they really screwed up making them BC races, and splitting them up over the 2 days, and taking it off network TV.

The BC adds these races (and big purses) when all they had to do was keep the Original 7 (or even the 8th). They claim they're doing all this to earn more money. Earn more money FOR WHO? The elite owners and Breeders? Their own salaries? Who? Why do they need more money when they were making plenty to fund the First 8, even after increasing their purses? Why does no one ask this?

dilanesp 02-06-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fager Fan (Post 2273059)
Their mistake wasn't adding a second day, but making them BC races. They should've made a card of high dollar purse races for all the non-champ divisions they wanted for Friday. Hell, add another day on Thursday too. But they really screwed up making them BC races, and splitting them up over the 2 days, and taking it off network TV.

The BC adds these races (and big purses) when all they had to do was keep the Original 7 (or even the 8th). They claim they're doing all this to earn more money. Earn more money FOR WHO? The elite owners and Breeders? Their own salaries? Who? Why do they need more money when they were making plenty to fund the First 8, even after increasing their purses? Why does no one ask this?

I think the network TV thing is key.

There is a reason major sports leagues try and get on network television. It means more exposure.

No doubt the second day is a cash cow. But what it cost them was wider promotion of the event. They thought ESPN would promote it, but ESPN has college football and didn't care.

Denny 02-06-2018 08:41 PM

I would put the main focus on a Pick 4 and have it on NBC.

Two Turf races - the Mile & the Turf

Two Dirt - the Sprint & the Classic.

All on the main network in a two hour broadcast.

Everything else goes on the sports network.

You could substitute something else for the Sprint if that race isn't as interesting.

dilanesp 02-06-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 2273101)
I would put the main focus on a Pick 4 and have it on NBC.

Two Turf races - the Mile & the Turf

Two Dirt - the Sprint & the Classic.

All on the main network in a two hour broadcast.

Everything else goes on the sports network.

You could substitute something else for the Sprint if that race isn't as interesting.

I don't think you will ever see more than 1 race on the network again, because for that to happen the BC would have to offer the Distaff, and the Distaff anchors Friday.

Tom 02-06-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2273047)
No, do it as part of the BC with a half mil puse.


LOL!

6.0 Furlongs, Purse $500,000, non winners twice since July 3,
Claiming price $6250


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
What post time odds would you require to bet on Justify in the Belmont?
1/1 or even lower - 16.98%
9 Votes
2/1 - 37.74%
20 Votes
3/1 - 16.98%
9 Votes
4/1 - 15.09%
8 Votes
5/1 - 3.77%
2 Votes
6/1 or higher - 9.43%
5 Votes
Total Votes: 53
This poll is closed.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.