Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nate Silver can suck it (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98946)

Jake 11-05-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog42
Gametheory:
I read your entire Post, er uh, Posts, and I read the redstate.com article. Both were informative and enlightening and I found very little to disagree with. I would also give caution to going against Silver since the Redstate article gave him a lot of credit for being a baseball statistical whiz. Both you and the article hinged your pro-romney argument on an enthused Republican turnout and a depleted Democratic turnout. This will surely be somewhat true, but how much? I am slightly critical of Silver also, in that unCommon sense tells me that anytime a candidate polls so close nationally and in razor thin state polls then he has a good chance of winning. Obama should be the favorite;he is certainly trending better, but I would only go 60-40. This 83% favorite rating that Silver gives Obama is stupid. Much of your model and the Redstate model compares the drastic differences between the 2004 and 2008 turnout rates. I am pretty sure the turnout rates for Republicans will be somewhere between these 2 extremes.
Thanks for the hard work and the informative posts. I always appreciate a
thread such as this that is based on sound and reasonable assertions.

Maddog,

Not surprisingly, I agree with all your points. Obama has been trending better than Romney in the last 3 weeks and the last week. I think the 83% probabilistic scoring is very optimistic, but Silver is certainly willing to hang it out there based on all his filters, so even if top heavy it is indicating where he think the trends are driving this outcome. I agree that 60% for Obama makes the most sense to me. I think using historical turnout rates is the weakest part of any argument, either side, because the microtargeting and technology and pure money/manhours has shifted everything. I saw a poll today that 8O% of Obama voters are voting for him (instead of just voting against Romney), while 35% of the Romney voters are just revenge voting against Obama instead of strongly supporting Romney himself. How does something like that affect turnout precedence? Who can really model that well.

Finally, all this make me believe Silver use of current rolling poll averages is actually the most accurate way to gauge possible turnout, as long as his weights aren't wrong. He does mixed models here, including 2004 and 2008, so I think he might be assuming as well that the turnout rate will be somewhere between those two sets of numbers. No way to know for sure, though.

Jake

bigmack 11-05-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
I saw a poll today that 8O% of Obama voters are voting for him (instead of just voting against Romney), while 35% of the Romney voters are just revenge voting against Obama instead of strongly supporting Romney himself.

:lol: That's a poll I HAVE to see. Link?

Jake 11-05-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameTheory
The non-robo ones call both. And they are mixing in online polls now too, don't know how that works. But still, non-polling of cellphone only houses would skew Republican and not the other way around, unless they are over-compensating for it. Of course, I'm one of those households but we are neutral (one R vote, one D vote). But then again we're not answering the phone either...

It does skew Republican. Which is why polls like Rasmussen is more likely to be inaccurate, not more, in states like Nevada or Colorado with high hispanic numbers, or where college kids are likely to vote--both voting blocks trending toward Obama. Not sure about the Legalize Grass supporters, though, suspect they couldn't find their phones landline or cell to take a poll.

GameTheory 11-05-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

It does skew Republican. Which is why polls like Rasmussen is more likely to be inaccurate, not more, in states like Nevada or Colorado with high hispanic numbers, or where college kids are likely to vote--both voting blocks trending toward Obama. Not sure about the Legalize Grass supporters, though, suspect they couldn't find their phones landline or cell to take a poll.

Rasmussen and SurveyUSA (which is all automated also) have been shown to be just as accurate as anyone else, and Rasmussen consistently rates very highly (post 2000 when they changed up) compared to others. All the attacks on him are pure partisanship. My main point is the ANY method of reaching voters is likely to skew some way or another, so the pollster better deal with it...

Jake 11-05-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmack
:lol: That's a poll I HAVE to see. Link?

Try CNN. They should have it posted somewhere. It came up during a verbal discussion between a Republican pollster and a professor. I thought it was a key distinction. It may actually indicate that Republican voters are more strongly motivated to go to the polls than Democratic voters. Another polls I saw on the television indicated a 70%-70% split between the two parties in terms of being strongly motivated or not to vote. Gauging the marginally motivated to vote and how that works its way into the turnout numbers is about the ground game in those swing states.

johnhannibalsmith 11-05-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

... Not sure about the Legalize Grass supporters, though, suspect they couldn't find their phones landline or cell to take a poll.

Perhaps you're just being funny and lighthearted - but in all seriousness, I think it's hard to find too many single-issue, "grassroots" poltical activist groups that have been much more effective politically than these groups and their supporters.

Jake 11-05-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Rasmussen and SurveyUSA (which is all automated also) have been shown to be just as accurate as anyone else, and Rasmussen consistently rates very highly (post 2000 when they changed up) compared to others. All the attacks on him are pure partisanship. My main point is the ANY method of reaching voters is likely to skew some way or another, so the pollster better deal with it...

Yes, Rasmussen has consistent rates compared to others, but they will be most skewed precisely in those states that have a high precentage of cell phone voters that he is not reaching. Let's get this straight right now, not all attacks on him are partisanship. Or, should we say all attacks on Silver or Politico or WSJ polling are partisan--is this how you are making your arguments these day? Yes all methods of reaching voters have bias in them, but you can ask why and where that bias might be coming from. Which is precisely why you are assessing Silver.

And, what the title of this thread? Hmm, there's a clue there just might be hint of partisianship in your postings. So, do we blow off what you have to say because you might prefer Romney. Give me a break.

Jake

GameTheory 11-05-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Yes, Rasmussen has consistent rates compared to others, but they will be most skewed precisely in those states that have a high precentage of cell phone voters that he is not reaching. Let's get this straight right now, not all attacks on him are partisanship. Or, should we say all attacks on Silver or Politico or WSJ polling are partisan--is this how you are making your arguments these day? Yes all methods of reaching voters have bias in them, but you can ask why and where that bias might be coming from. Which is precisely why you are assessing Silver.

And, what the title of this thread? Hmm, there's a clue there just might be hint of partisianship in your postings. So, do we blow off what you have to say because you might prefer Romney. Give me a break.

Seriously dude, what's with the attitude? Lighten up. You seem to take every comment as a personal affront for some reason. I'm starting to think you are a completely humorless person.

Every liberal attacks Rasmussen, most without knowing a thing about him -- it is just dogma. Rasmussen = Fox = Republicans = right-leaning skewed. I guarantee 99% percent of those people don't know a single iota about his track record for accuracy. Isn't that obvious?

Jake 11-05-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Perhaps you're just being funny and lighthearted - but in all seriousness, I think it's hard to find too many single-issue, "grassroots" poltical activist groups that have been much more effective politically than these groups and their supporters.

Yes, I was trying to be funny, seldom works. I live in a state with this on the ballot, so I know how effective their organizations politically, at least here. Seriously, I think they are a possible tipping factor in the Colorado race, precisely because of the number of storefronts selling grass on most streets in Denver. And, I don't think supporters will be casting their votes for Romney. What I don't know is how well they have been polled. And, in case you missed it, neither candidate in their stump speeches are bringing up legalizing weed as an economic solution.

GameTheory 11-05-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Yes, I was trying to be funny, seldom works. I live in a state with this on the ballot, so I know how effective their organizations politically, at least here. Seriously, I think they are a possible tipping factor in the Colorado race, precisely because of the number of storefronts selling grass on most streets in Denver. And, I don't think supporters will be casting their votes for Romney. What I don't know is how well they have been polled. And, in case you missed it, neither candidate in their stump speeches are bringing up legalizing weed as an economic solution.

I live in Denver, and voted both for Romney and for the legalizing weed measure.

Jake 11-05-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

I live in Denver, and voted both for Romney and for the legalizing weed measure.

Then, I suggest you lay off the weed before you post!

Jake

GameTheory 11-05-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Then, I suggest you lay off the weed before you post!

Never touch it. I'm high on life.

Jake 11-05-2012 01:49 PM

Look, when you make a statement that "all attacks are pure partisanship", you're making it personal. And, this is the perfect followup, by the way. "I'm starting to think you are a completely humorless person." and "I guarantee 99% percent of those people of those people don't know a single iota about his track record for accuracy. Isn't that obvious" Lighten up, dude. What's the matter here?, is making false conjectures with hokey guarantees (love the 99% direct marketing persuader) how it works here. Simple question: is Rasmussen more or less likely to miss polling cell phone voters who lean democratic in certain states, given his automated method, including where he gets his polling phone numbers? I think you do know the answer, but prefer to make it all about being partisan.

Always glad to laugh around the table over a couple of beers. But find the shake and bake answers less than light hearted. Jake

Valuist 11-05-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
:

One more comment. I thought it was the liberals who were supposed to believe they were the smart ones and everybody else was dumb.

Jerry, its not a lie if you believe it.

GameTheory 11-05-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Look, when you make a statement that "all attacks are pure partisanship", you're making it personal. And, this is the perfect followup, by the way. "I'm starting to think you are a completely humorless person." and "I guarantee 99% percent of those people of those people don't know a single iota about his track record for accuracy. Isn't that obvious" Lighten up, dude. What's the matter here?, is making false conjectures with hokey guarantees (love the 99% direct marketing persuader) how it works here. Simple question: is Rasmussen more or less likely to miss polling cell phone voters who lean democratic in certain states, given his automated method, including where he gets his polling phone numbers? I think you do know the answer, but prefer to make it all about being partisan.

Always glad to laugh around the table over a couple of beers. But find the shake and bake answers less than light hearted. Jake

Ok, I tried, but you're committed to some sort of hostility. Nevermind...