Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New track initials for oak tree meet (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75739)

redeye007 09-28-2010 11:38 PM

New track initials for oak tree meet

It appears that BRIS has created a new track initial for the upcoming oak tree at hollywood park meet. "OTH".

Turkoman 09-29-2010 12:06 AM

That's interesting. Recently, I was wondering what it would be. Have you seen it at Equibase.com?

cj 09-29-2010 11:20 AM

BRIS didn't create it, Equibase (or the Jockey Club) is responsible. It is so silly.

Milkshaker 09-29-2010 01:24 PM

Selective confusion

A case of adding confusion where none is necessary.

They've been running a Tropical-at-Calder meet for decades without a separate designation. That should serve as a useful precedent regarding keeping abbreviations simple/accurate.

I'm sure other listers could come up with more examples. Another that comes to mind is when the Sportsman's dates were transferred to Hawthorne a few years back. That meet wasn't (and didn't need to be) labeled as "SpH."

BillW 09-29-2010 01:45 PM

The Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita was designated as OSA in the past. A unique designator is not something new for the Oak Tree meet and is at the request of Oak Tree.

Steve 'StatMan' 09-29-2010 01:50 PM

Oh Tie a different track code 'round the old Oak Tree
It's been 3 long years they're confusing me....

Milkshaker 09-29-2010 01:55 PM

At the request of horseplayers, instead of Oak Tree

The "OSA" designation in past performances only dates to the Magna era at Santa Anita, and the Oak Tree request was solely based on that organization's desire to distance itself from Mr. Stronach's operation.

My point is that the powers that be who create the abbreviations should accede to whatever request is most beneficial to horseplayers, and not change fundamental track abbreviations at the whim of managements unless there is something markedly different about the way races are run over what is an identical racecourse.

BillW 09-29-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milkshaker
The "OSA" designation in past performances only dates to the Magna era at Santa Anita, and the Oak Tree request was solely based on that organization's desire to distance itself from Mr. Stronach's operation.

My point is that the powers that be who create the abbreviations should accede to whatever request is most beneficial to horseplayers, and not change fundamental track abbreviations at the whim of managements unless there is something markedly different about the way races are run over what is an identical racecourse.

Equibase is 50% owned by the tracks (i.e. they are subservient) and have no choice in the matter. Your beef is with Oak Tree.

redeye007 09-29-2010 04:33 PM

I don't know why Equibase couldn't just call it HOL. this will impact some software programs requiring users to create a brand new database. :mad:

BillW 09-29-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye007
I don't know why Equibase couldn't just call it HOL. this will impact some software programs requiring users to create a brand new database. :mad:

As stated above, the track (the people they work for), asked that it be OTH.

BillW 09-29-2010 04:43 PM

BTW note that at least HDW (who is not obliged to the tracks) chooses to keep the designator @ HOL. I assume Bris, DRF and others have this option too.

cj 09-29-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillW
The Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita was designated as OSA in the past. A unique designator is not something new for the Oak Tree meet and is at the request of Oak Tree.

Well, actually that is pretty new and unnecessary too.

cj 09-29-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillW
BTW note that at least HDW (who is not obliged to the tracks) chooses to keep the designator @ HOL. I assume Bris, DRF and others have this option too.

I don't find it a bid deal with my program, but it is just plain dumb...oh wait, this is horse racing.

BillW 09-29-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
I don't find it a bid deal with my program, but it is just plain dumb...oh wait, this is horse racing.

I wonder if anyone talked to Equibase about it. They may be able to ask OakTree to change their mind (I have no idea how strongly they feel about having their own track designation). When I talked to Equibase I only asked for the reason but didn't register a complaint (I use HDW data).

rrbauer 09-29-2010 05:51 PM

Considering that Oak Tree was a scam to get more racing days (who would turn down charity?) on the way to year-round racing in California and that the charities are last in line to get anything out of the meet (they've averaged some $650K or so per year), the designation for the meet is on its way to becoming "DOA". Anybody who thinks that racing at Del Mar in October/November will be a winner is nuts...and that's what they're talking about after next year.