Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The worst rider in North America is..... (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30266)

Valuist 08-17-2006 11:50 PM

The worst rider in North America is.....

Jordan Charkoudian

She rode last year at CD w/the apprentice allowance and needless to say, she had to move to a different circuit. Let's review her "skills"

1. Cannot whip left handed. Not good but she isn't the only one incapable of doing that.
2. Terribly weak RH whip. But that isn't the worst problem (see #3)
3. She CANNOT hand ride with her left hand and whip with the right hand at the same time. Her balance is apparently so bad that instead of continuing to hand ride with her left hand, she holds onto to rein for balance, which of course more than takes away from the benefit of having a whip.
4. She looks awkward to the point that you just hope she doesn't get in a spill. I wouldn't even let her work a horse in the morning, let alone run for purse money.

If you ever think a Johnnie V or Victor Espinoza aren't athletes, watch somebody like Charkoudian ride. Its like comparing a 5th grade baseball player to Albert Pujols.

LaughAndBeMerry 08-18-2006 10:06 AM

Other than the fact she looks great in jeans, I can't see why anyone would ride her.

Bathless 08-19-2006 11:17 AM

She sounds pretty bad. Sounds like Stacy Prior, now an exercise rider at SAR. Somehow, she won a lot of races at MED, but when she changed whip hands, she had to sit all the way back in the saddle to do it. She grew up around the corner and I saw her do some pretty serious trick riding. Could never figure why she didn't have the balance necessary to be a decent jock.

Anyone remember Ramon Pena? He was run out of the game after a race-fixing incident at PEN a while back.

When Ramon had the bug at MTH, we used to bet among ourselves if he would fall off his mount. At first, we were betting where Ramon would fall off. As he got more proficient as a rider, the rule was he had to stay aboard from the time he got a leg up until dismounting in the area in front of the clubhouse, something Ramon was often unable to complete.

bigmack 08-19-2006 01:02 PM

Value – You should have been there for her 1st win – You could have pelted her with water buckets and eggs.

http://www.femalejockeys.com/Jordan_Charkoudian.html

46zilzal 08-19-2006 02:15 PM

STRENGTH is what it takes in these smallish riders. I can recall being in the winner's circle at GGF not long after Bill Mahorney retired to become a trainer: he had been leading apprentice, but suffered two broken legs which cut his career short. We were introduced, shook hands and it took about three minutes for the blood to run back into the digital arteries. I have shaken hands with burly truck drivers who did not have the strength shown in that grip. Ladies just don't have that inherent strength and it takes a lot of that on horseback.

Show Me the Wire 08-19-2006 03:45 PM

I would not have expected such a derogatory, chauvanistic, sexiest remark from you.

Women jockeys are just as capable as men jockeys.

46zilzal 08-19-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
I would not have expected such a derogatory, chauvanistic, sexiest remark from you.

Women jockeys are just as capable as men jockeys.

not derogatory. Just the truth. Ladies use finesse but that doesn't work often with large 1200 pound animals.

Put Julie Krone and Laffit on the same animal and Laffit gets the horse home more often.

Just like firemen. Many a lady COULD do their job, but aren't usually strong enough unless they are 6 foot 4.

actually Julie put in what was the worst ride I can recall on Forty Niner in the 1988 B.C. Classic. Simply horrible to the point that one could use it as a yardstck for bad rides. Still gringe when I think about it.

BIG49010 08-19-2006 04:06 PM

You should change to best and worst jockeys, that are the same person.

Santos comes to mind, he is as good as he wants to be, and he can be very bad!:bang:

blind squirrel 08-19-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46zilzal
not derogatory. Just the truth. Ladies use finesse but that doesn't work often with large 1200 pound animals.

Put Julie Krone and Laffit on the same animal and Laffit gets the horse home more often.

Just like firemen. Many a lady COULD do their job, but aren't usually strong enough unless they are 6 foot 4.

actually Julie put in what was the worst ride I can recall on Forty Niner in the 1988 B.C. Classic. Simply horrible to the point that one could use it as a yardstck for bad rides. Still gringe when I think about it.

ok.,how about her ride on COLONIAL AFFAIR in the 93 BELMONT.i
guess that was a bad ride too,huh.i think you picked the wrong
female jockey to rip.....she was a deserving HALL OF FAME rider.

GMB@BP 08-19-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blind squirrel

dont be rediculous, she is in because of her gender, 1 triple crown win and 1 breeders cup win and about 3500 wins, no one has less credentials in the modern era.

46zilzal 08-19-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

nice person no doubt, just not a hall of fame quality rider. To get that status, a horse's chances CHANGE as the result of the rider. Not the case with her.

She is in there for other reasons: changing the face of racing.

GMB@BP 08-19-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46zilzal
nice person no doubt, just not a hall of fame quality rider. To get that status, a horse's chances CHANGE as the result of the rider. Not the case with her.

She is in there for other reasons: changing the face of racing.

just line up the grade 1 races, the career wins, earnings, triple crown and breeders cups, well you get a pretty good idea who was the best of their generation....its not hard to measure accomplishment, they do keep records

blind squirrel 08-19-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMB@BP
dont be rediculous, she is in because of her gender, 1 triple crown win and 1 breeders cup win and about 3500 wins, no one has less credentials in the modern era.

how many triple crown wins does RUSSELL BAZE have?...i know he's
won a lot of races-- at county fairs!

46zilzal 08-19-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

how many triple crown wins does RUSSELL BAZE have?...i know he's
won a lot of races-- at county fairs!

he will probably pass Laffit for number of wins however.

46zilzal 08-19-2006 05:03 PM

hall of fame number look like this:
Number of Winners: 8,844
Winning Percentage: 20%

a rider makes a difference when they show these numbers.