Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Met Mile (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159072)

PhantomOnTour 07-02-2020 10:17 PM

The Met Mile

Another strong lineup for Saturday's renewal.
After just missing last year, this may be a formality (and ANOTHER Baffert romp at Bel Park) McKinzie may slaughter them.
I keep coming back to Mr Freeze who likes the one turn mile and is there at the finish almost every time.
Unlikely he beats both Baffert and Shug but the price is right and hopefully he can crash the exacta.

Who ya got?

classhandicapper 07-03-2020 10:07 AM

It's a very good edition of the Met.

I think McKinzie has been the best horse so far, but several horses are not far off and since they are 4yos they may still have some upside. It makes for a very good race, but one that might be difficult to find value in.

ubercapper 07-03-2020 11:48 AM

classhandicapper 07-03-2020 12:18 PM

Mr. Freeze will probably be the 4th choice. He's a really nice horse, but to me it feels like one of the top 3 is likely to fire an "A" race that's going to be more than he can handle. I think I might be more apt to try to get him into the exacta and trifeca if I decide to leave off one of the other 3. But I really don't have any knocks against anyone.

metro 07-03-2020 12:47 PM

I would have preferred to see him return in the Stephen Foster but Warrior's Charge is worth a flyer in the Met Mile. He's never been a one turn mile and the other jockeys in here will let Geroux make the front. Could lead them a long way.

jay68802 07-03-2020 01:13 PM

Going with :2: Vekoma, looks to have improved.

Playing over :3: McKinzie and the :8: Warrior's Charge.

coachv30 07-03-2020 01:56 PM

I am going with...

:3: McKinzie
:2: Vekoma
:5: Code of Honor
:8: Warriors Charge

groupie doll 07-04-2020 07:31 AM

:7: Mr. Freeze cutting back to a one-turn mile, should be handy from the outside
:2: Veokma in form, proven class, can win with a regression off last
:3: McKinzie might have won this last year if not for traffic in stretch, maybe lost a step?

exacta box, WP on Mr Freeze...

good luck

Secondbest 07-04-2020 11:42 AM

I’m going the :5: Code of Honor. Only real clunker since the derby was the BC. That race put him on the shelf for 8 months. Came back at Belmont and won in the mud. Trainer put 3 works into him since. None at 3f. He’s fit and ready. 3-4 at Belmont.
Win and exactas with Vekoma and Mckinzie ,Mr freeze

Robert Fischer 07-04-2020 12:30 PM

:3: McKinzie is a real wildcard here.

Strange to say about the ml favorite. Also, I pick :3: McKinzie to win this race. I feel he's absolutely 100% pointed to the race.

But I would not be surprised if McKinzie is last today. I don't blame anyone who takes a shot against.

:8: Warrior's Charge is a horse who I like as a fan, and as a decent price in this race. Hard hitting forwardly placed runner.

:5: Code of Honor is a horse that I've constantly underrated. I'm not going to dismiss his chances here.

:6: Endorsed and :1: Network Effect have every right to pick up some pieces with the right trip.

I am singling McKinzie (and Tacitus!!) on a 50cent all-stakes P4 bet, that costs $4.50. :cool:

McKinzie will have to have the 'magic' that he has flashed prior to 2020. Then he'll need Mike Smith to give him a strong hand ride (McKinzie has that aversion to the whip thing, but Smith and Baffert should have figured that out). If he does that, he's too talented for this field, IMHO.

If McKinzie is a paper tiger who has lost a step or is battling issues, :coffee: :8::1::6::5:.
probably play a lean vertical exotic

GMB@BP 07-04-2020 12:52 PM

Going to be very interesting to see how Vekoma is ridden. There is real speed to the outside so if he does not go he could get burried, same thing I guess for McKinzie. While they are the best two horses in the race figure wise I think both are play against for the race dynamic and price reasons.

I will take a shot with Mr Freeze and guess the pace is not as fast as it appears on paper. Honor Code to pick up the pieces.

I also think Vekoma will be the favorite, slightly over McKinzie.

cj 07-04-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMB@BP (Post 2627420)
Going to be very interesting to see how Vekoma is ridden. There is real speed to the outside so if he does not go he could get burried, same thing I guess for McKinzie. While they are the best two horses in the race figure wise I think both are play against for the race dynamic and price reasons.

I will take a shot with Mr Freeze and guess the pace is not as fast as it appears on paper. Honor Code to pick up the pieces.

I also think Vekoma will be the favorite, slightly over McKinzie.

I had similar feelings, but I'll add that as David pointed out on our podcast Thursday Vekoma has broken like a rocket in both starts this year.

Tom 07-04-2020 03:24 PM

Vekona is my pick. His progression as a 4yo is impressive.
Even if he regresses from his last, he can bet this field.

He looks to me to the "big horse" this year.

Play him with McKinzie and Code of Honor underneath and box him with Mr. Freeze, who-could-go-all-the-way!

Big race - fun to watch this one. :headbanger:

classhandicapper 07-04-2020 04:01 PM

If McKinzie goes off the favorite, I'll probably take a small shot against him. I think he has been the best horse so far, but it's not 100% he's as good now as he has been at his best in the past. I think Code of Honor and Vekoma are newly turned 4yos that are still moving forward. Even if he fires his "A" race it's possible one of those two (or both) moves past him anyway.

GMB@BP 07-04-2020 05:31 PM

Its nice to see the Met Mile back with its own day as the highlight race rather than an under card event.