Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Did I Miss Something? RE:Russell Baze (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74350)

Java Gold@TFT 08-20-2010 05:25 PM

Did I Miss Something? RE:Russell Baze

I did a search and not one thread about Baze passing the 11,000 win mark last week. Is it just that he is the Zenyatta of jockeys - the one big fish in a small pond who rarely wanders outside his comfort zone? The guy has WON 11,000 races and is still going. I'd think the guy would get some love around here. How many have bet a 5/2 shot just because Baze was riding and you thought you were getting an overlay?

Congrats to Baze no matter where he is riding. He's the alltime winningest jockey in modern history.

TEJAS KIDD 08-20-2010 05:27 PM

We should do a poll.

Who gets less respect
Russell Baze and his 11,000+ wins
or Zenyatta and her 18 straight.

Skanoochies 08-20-2010 08:30 PM

Put Russell on Zenyata, then see what little respect you get. :lol:

MMM59 08-21-2010 01:33 AM

Is there a statistic for lowest average odds per win, he would be the leader.
Great human being, great racing family, but tough to bet on. Hope he makes it to 12,000 or more.

Robert Goren 08-21-2010 05:53 AM

His agent belongs in the Hall of Fame.

horses721 08-21-2010 06:18 PM

Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth would have hit over a thousand home runs if they spent their careers in the minor leagues and it wouldn't be considered a great accomplishment for that very reason. Baze rides in the minor leagues against lousy jockeys in ridicuously short fields year after year. I'm sure Pincay's record wouldn't be in danger if he ran in NoCal against Baze for almost his entire career. Like I always say, how come he has had so few mounts in triple crown races or Breeders cup races over his entire career if he is such a great of a jockey? I look forward to reading the excuses.

Hosshead 08-21-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horses721
I'm sure Pincay's record wouldn't be in danger if he ran in NoCal against Baze for almost his entire career.

Absolutely correct !

macdiarmida 08-22-2010 03:07 AM

Quote:

Robert Goren wrote:
His agent belongs in the Hall of Fame.
I've seen that guy bet many times and I am not at all impressed by his abilities there - very, very average. He seems to be good at other agent talents, like running interference and schmoozing owners and trainers, and in not irritating RB. So I have to give all credit to Baze for attracting all the best horses and doing the choosing.

Jorge Ricardo (who?) is right behind RB in wins. I think those two will be going at it until they are forcibly retired.

Java Gold@TFT 08-22-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdiarmida
Jorge Ricardo (who?) is right behind RB in wins. I think those two will be going at it until they are forcibly retired.

I think Ricardo races somehwere in South America but I'm not sure where.

toetoe 08-22-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth would have hit over a thousand home runs if they spent their careers in the minor leagues and it wouldn't be considered a great accomplishment for that very reason. Baze rides in the minor leagues against lousy jockeys in ridicuously short fields year after year. I'm sure Pincay's record wouldn't be in danger if he ran in NoCal against Baze for almost his entire career. Like I always say, how come he has had so few mounts in triple crown races or Breeders cup races over his entire career if he is such a great of a jockey? I look forward to reading the excuses.

Wow, you're not a political activist, are you ? The lack of any positive argumentation in your post is impressive indeed. Well, at least your mind is open, so here goes:

Please define the members of the "minor leagues" (AAA, AA, A, et cetera); then define the "major leagues."

Please explain how anyone great will ever come out of Southern California, with its "ridiculously short fields." No riders, no trainers, no horses even. You may be unwittingly (hmm ... imagine that :D ) slamming Zenyatta. I have no quarrel with her streak --- it's just a number. Assessing greatness is like handicapping a race; non-rigid, intuitive interpretation is usually needed.

You started the rant about winning rides; now you slam Baze for lack of any TC or BC rides. What's the minimal winning percentage in TC and BC races required for greatness ?

You wannabe jockstraps live to hear about the next record being tied or broken (first man to hit for the cycle while porking the manager's wife; least literate man to hit an inside-the-park home run while swallowing tobacco juice; most no-hitters against "ridiculously" bad teams), so why should Baze's record be such a burr in your tutu ?

toetoe 08-22-2010 01:10 PM

Jorge Ricardo ? He's in Brasil. Minor leagues, fershure fershure. :rolleyes: .

TEJAS KIDD 08-23-2010 10:15 AM

I think with Russell it was never about fame and fortune. He did make an unsuccessful attempt at the So Cal circuit some time in the late 80's or early 90's. Their mentality was it was better to stay home and ride an 8-10 race card than to travel to ride in a single stakes race. Money would be equally the same and he wouldnt piss off the 8-10 owners that he would have been riding for.
How many times did Russell beat Joel Rosario and Martin Garcia before they headed south? There's no question to Russells ability and the fact he deserves to be in the HOF. The record may be tainted of sorts because of where he won, but it's still a racord, just like Pepper's Prides.
Year's ago I had an argument about TO's record for receptions in a game. The complaint was it came against a hapless opponent (think it was the Bears). My response was, then why hasn't anyone else done it against the Bears (15 other teams get to play against them every year).

Pretty sure that by the time he's done, Russell Baze will also be the all time losingest jockey (he may already be there)

Light 08-23-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Baze rides in the minor leagues against lousy jockeys in ridicuously short fields year after year.

Minor leagues like

Jerry Hollendorfer?
Art Sherman?
Greg Gilchrist?
Blind Luck?
Hysterical Lady?
Lost in the Fog?
Victor Espinoza?(couldn't beat Baze)
Martin Garcia?(couldn't beat Baze)
Joel Rosario?(couldn't beat Baze)

Just to name a few that come to mind. They have repeatedly shown the big leagues how its done in NoCal.

Bruiser1 08-23-2010 03:17 PM

Baze is a great jockey who's made his living in Northern California.

Any jockey who's won 11,000 races is doing something right.

horses721 08-23-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruiser1
Baze is a great jockey who's made his living in Northern California.

Any jockey who's won 11,000 races is doing something right.

What he is doing is riding in short fields at a minor leauge track.