Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Library (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   CALIBRATION HANDICAPPING BY JIM LEHANE (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146284)

CheckMark 07-25-2018 05:20 PM

CALIBRATION HANDICAPPING BY JIM LEHANE

Does anyone still have this book? I think after reading some reviews and samples, it might be a good read. Will pay for anyone who has book. But please finalize price for Canadian please. Don’t need a $20 book and it costing $50

CheckMark 07-26-2018 08:37 AM

Please if anyone can respond. Thanks

cloud9 07-28-2018 02:08 PM

It was on eBay. Check there .

chrisl 07-28-2018 02:32 PM

Great book...Is is not available from Jim anymore.

coachv30 07-30-2018 01:13 PM

I reached out to Jim. I had correspondence with him years back. Maybe it will get somewhere.

chrisl 07-30-2018 09:17 PM

I have contacted him through Linkedin also. That was awhile back

xtb 07-30-2018 11:00 PM

Looks like the server is down at the moment but this might be it.

http://ebooktake.in/pdf/title/calibr...dicapping.html

NorCalGreg 07-31-2018 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtb (Post 2349159)
Looks like the server is down at the moment but this might be it.

http://ebooktake.in/pdf/title/calibr...dicapping.html

Went through the hassle of registering at that site...here was what I got for my trouble:

0 results found for Calibration Handicapping.

It's not a problem if they don't bill my credit card--thanks anyway

thaskalos 07-31-2018 06:52 AM

"Calibration Handicapping"...FOR SALE!

I have this book...and I'd be more than willing to sell my copy. The problem is that there is no listing for it anywhere on the internet...and I have no idea what price to ask for it. Is anyone out there willing to make me an offer?

One more thing:

During the long period of time that I've been here, I've seen this book mentioned more than a few times...and whenever that happens, everyone here, without exception, showers the book with the sort of praise that we seldom see in connection with a handicapping book. I don't think that even a single person here -- other than me -- has ever made a negative comment of any sort about this book. And yet, whenever a poster requests to buy a copy...no one here ever seems to have a copy to sell. How can a handicapping book that has gotten so many glorious reviews be so hard to locate whenever a customer comes around looking to buy a copy? Is this book really so valuable that no one wants to part with his treasured copy...at ANY price? Is anyone here really using this book as a guide in his current handicapping?

In case there is someone out there who actually has this book, and takes offense at my "criticism" of it...I'd like him to do me a favor before he "sets me straight" about the book's value as a 'handicapping guide'. Would he please turn to page 15-16 of the book, and explain something to me:

There is a race featured there where Jim Lehane takes credit for selecting the eventual winner (Romancer)...who ended up paying $58.50 to win. Lehane selected Romancer as a win-contender off of the horse's last race, where the horse finished 8th by 9.5 lengths, while never running better than 6th or within 6 lengths of the winner at any point in the race...earning a Beyer figure of 39 in the process. And yet, in this same example race, there is a horse on the rail named Diablo's Caper, who ran in the very same race as Romancer last out...and Diablo's Caper led every step of the way until losing by half a length at the wire, while earning a Beyer figure of 62. And this, after the horse BROKE THROUGH THE GATE in that last start. But Diablo's Caper...who defeated Romancer by 9 lengths in their last start...didn't even make Lehane's contender-list in this example race. There is yet another horse in this example race (Battle Cat) who also shows a half-length defeat in its last start, while earning a Beyer figure of 67. And this horse too failed to make Lehane's contender-list...while the soundly beaten horse with the 39 Beyer emerged as a "sound wager". I mean...if Lehane listed these 2 sharp horses as contenders, and then proceeded to eliminate them by some other means...then I would understand. But to cross out these 2 sharper-looking horses at first glance, right from the OUTSET, while accepting the trounced horse as a legitimate contender...is disingenuous to say the least.

This isn't "Next Level" handicapping, IMO...regardless of what Lehane states on the book's cover.

xtb 07-31-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGreg (Post 2349212)
Went through the hassle of registering at that site...here was what I got for my trouble:

0 results found for Calibration Handicapping.

It's not a problem if they don't bill my credit card--thanks anyway

Sorry about that, it looked legit.

rispa 07-31-2018 11:12 AM

I believe that Diablo's Caper is NOT a contender according to the Red-Scan Qualifying technique.

xtb 07-31-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2349223)
I have this book...and I'd be more than willing to sell my copy. The problem is that there is no listing for it anywhere on the internet...and I have no idea what price to ask for it. Is anyone out there willing to make me an offer?

I believe I paid Jim $35 for a new copy about 10 years ago. That is strange that there is almost nothing about it on the internet. I will say this, on CJ's old forum "Pickwick" was quite good but played NY tracks almost exclusively.

Jim if you are reading this, you could sell a lot of books if you send CH to the printer for another run.

thaskalos 07-31-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rispa (Post 2349265)
I believe that Diablo's Caper is NOT a contender according to the Red-Scan Qualifying technique.

Yes...only Romancer was a contender according to the "Red-Scan Qualifying technique". Here are the 3 horses in question...along with their "representative" running lines, and Beyer figures:

Diablo's Caper.........1(2.5) 1(1.0) 1(hd) 2(.50) 62

Romancer...............6(9.0) 7(6.0) 8(7.5 ) 8(9.5) 39

Battle Cat...............3(3.0) 2(3.0) 2(hd) 2(.50) 67

And in his "wagering plan" for the race...Lehane ELIMINATES Diablo's Caper and Battle Cat, not just from win-consideration...but from his exacta and trifecta bets as well. According to the "Red Scan Qualifying technique"...Romancer is the much better horse. :faint:

Suff 07-31-2018 01:57 PM

Not sure what his health status is, but this is jim Lehane's email.

******* - don't like posting people's email addresses publicly - PA

He used to post here as Pickwick, but has not in years. This is a link to one his old posts.

Tom 07-31-2018 02:20 PM

He used to have a newsletter that was a one topic weekly thing. You would get links to a couple of DRF PPS and the text. Came on Friday. They were all up on his website, but alsa, the link has stopped working.

He did contribute a lot to the old PaceFigures website.:ThmbUp: