Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Arlington Million at Churchill (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169650)

Cholly 08-13-2022 03:20 PM

They just ran the Beverly D--sure was a lot of sand flying off what's labeled as a "turf" course. Time was a new course record.

Jockeys who will be riding later in the Million surely noticed the Beverly D was a classic boat race--there was not a single change of position; could be some gunning out of the gate in the Million.

PalaceOfFortLarned 08-13-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cholly (Post 2823977)
They just ran the Beverly D--sure was a lot of sand flying off what's labeled as a "turf" course. Time was a new course record.

Jockeys who will be riding later in the Million surely noticed the Beverly D was a classic boat race--there was not a single change of position; could be some gunning out of the gate in the Million.

That turf course was an absolute joke today.

They better not run race on that crapfest again for quite a while. They raced today basically for those 2 G1 turf races and absolutely embarrassed themselves.

ScottJ 08-13-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned (Post 2824045)
That turf course was an absolute joke today.

They better not run race on that crapfest again for quite a while. They raced today basically for those 2 G1 turf races and absolutely embarrassed themselves.

If I was a senior executive associated with CDI, my first order of business would be to call NYRA CEO and President David O'Rourke come Sunday morning and beg to hire Glen Kozak (or part of his team) on a consultancy basis until this turf course situation is cured. That turf course had more stretch divots than my local golf course after I play eighteen - and that is saying something.

The_Turf_Monster 08-13-2022 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottJ (Post 2824046)
If I was a senior executive associated with CDI, my first order of business would be to call NYRA CEO and President David O'Rourke come Sunday morning and beg to hire Glen Kozak (or part of his team) on a consultancy basis until this turf course situation is cured. That turf course had more stretch divots than my local golf course after I play eighteen - and that is saying something.

Or just maintain it like AP did

classhandicapper 08-14-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cholly (Post 2823977)

It was like dirt painted green. Both races are pretty close to a toss for anyone that didn’t do any running yesterday and I’d be a bit suspect of the top 2 horses in both races when they come back. The 4 were all good horses that probably would have run well anyway, but they had help.

Tom 08-14-2022 10:33 AM

It looked like a pool table in a biker-dive bar.
CD taking over the ARLINGTON day is like the Beverly Hillbillies in the fancy eatin' room.

HottalkersinKY 08-14-2022 11:49 AM

yes and their inflated prices for food and beverage and admission for the day
churchill is a mess

headhawg 08-14-2022 11:59 AM

CD must have hired the same turf maintenance team that works at Soldier Field. :puke:

Tom 08-14-2022 12:26 PM

I was thinking more like Potter's Field! :lol:

JohnGalt1 08-15-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2824111)
It was like dirt painted green. Both races are pretty close to a toss for anyone that didn’t do any running yesterday and I’d be a bit suspect of the top 2 horses in both races when they come back. The 4 were all good horses that probably would have run well anyway, but they had help.

I got used to betting green painted dirt at Gulfstream pre 2022.

HottalkersinKY 08-15-2022 12:56 PM

Guess they want be running any turf races during that sept. meet
at least the trainers have ky downs and keeneland meets

azeri98 08-15-2022 01:19 PM

Why the in the hell would they try to grow a Bermuda based grass course in Kentucky? It's native to Florida and Gulfstream has abandoned it. IMO they will have to replace the Bermuda with something else. Here'sa though. How about Kentucky Blue grass?

dilanesp 08-15-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azeri98 (Post 2824293)
Why the in the hell would they try to grow a Bermuda based grass course in Kentucky? It's native to Florida and Gulfstream has abandoned it. IMO they will have to replace the Bermuda with something else. Here'sa though. How about Kentucky Blue grass?

I am not an expert on turf courses but I suspect the basic problem is that any surface that you run a lot of races over, especially during a period when there isn't a lot of rain, is going to get torn up over time. When I am at the track, I see the workers out there tamping down the course, replacing divots, etc., after every turf race.

I remember a couple of years ago, Santa Anita just announced they were going to give the turf course a break for a couple of weeks.

Grass management isn't unique to horse racing. The NFL, for instance, puts a lot of effort into it and they had an expert, the Kansas City Chiefs' George Toma, who supervised some of their most difficult problems with torn up grass. And when I was younger, baseball fields routinely got torn up late into the season; MLB has clearly switched to different protocols/different grass in the last 20 years or so, because you no longer see torn up grass in September.

Bottom line, I bet this problem isn't simple and I trust the good faith of Churchill's people.

foregoforever 08-15-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2824296)
Bottom line, I bet this problem isn't simple and I trust the good faith of Churchill's people.

As did the folks in Illinois.

the little guy 08-15-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azeri98 (Post 2824293)

This is, and always was, the big question.