Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whales (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147343)

BCOURTNEY 09-11-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2369217)
They don’t ban sharpies at uk tracks, just limit their wins to £1,000

Allan

Same chilling effect.

BCOURTNEY 09-11-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368979)
Lol. I least I am thinking of how to improve the Monmouth product.

Fixed odds betting has revitalized Australian racing.

Allan

70% of Australian handle is a single betting team how is that revitalized, diverse or attractive?

ReplayRandall 09-11-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY (Post 2369426)
70% of Australian handle is a single betting team how is that revitalized, diverse or attractive?

Please show some kind of proof/links to back up your claim of 70%......

AskinHaskin 09-12-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368766)

PM is a dinosaur. its only a matter of time before it becomes extinct.

Allan

Your awareness is upside down.

PM need only be optimized by the house to compete favorably vs. all other types of wagering.

They simply don't play to their strengths, instead preferring to expose their weaknesses. So it's no wonder American horse racing is beaten-down today.

It's that simple and concise.

Dave Schwartz 09-12-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AskinHaskin (Post 2369451)

PM need only be optimized by the house to compete favorably vs. all other types of wagering.

They simply don't play to their strengths, instead preferring to expose their weaknesses. So it's no wonder American horse racing is beaten-down today.

Please explain but dumb it down. I have the mind of a 6th grader.

biggestal99 09-12-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AskinHaskin (Post 2369451)

But they (tracks) wont pull the trigger on lowering takeout for the masses.

Instead they insanely raise takeout to usury.

whale handle would dry up if they went down to a reasonable takeout due to loss of rebates.

Allan

Gorrex 09-12-2018 12:34 PM

Actually from a whales point of view, lowering takeout is the same as offering a higher rebate. It would not effect them.

They simply need takeout (or effective takeout with rebate) to be low enough to make a marginal profit over time.

Lowering takeout would not effect whales, but would benefit most everyone else and could potentially (with very dramatic changes) put parimutuel in competition with fixed odds.

WPS parimutuel wagering will likely never truly compete with fixed odds however the exotic bets with higher payouts are something fixed odds cannot (at this time) replicate easily.

ultracapper 09-12-2018 12:41 PM

True, they'd get back more on their winning wagers with a lower take, but with a rebate, it's very simple to know what their minimum, guaranteed return on each wager is. I'd think the higher the minimum guaranteed return, the better.

Gorrex 09-12-2018 12:55 PM

The rebate does make the math easier, but generally whales know exactly what their win rates are vs takeouts vs pool sizes etc...

A 2% reduction in takeout could be a greater average return than a 5% rebate depending on hit rate, pool size, etc..

ReplayRandall 09-12-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorrex (Post 2369538)
The rebate does make the math easier, but generally whales know exactly what their win rates are vs takeouts vs pool sizes etc...

A 2% reduction in takeout could be a greater average return than a 5% rebate depending on hit rate, pool size, etc..

So if the average bettor AND whales both benefit from a 2% reduction in takeout, let's make everyone real happy and go for a 4% cut.....Sounds good, right?

Gorrex 09-12-2018 02:00 PM

To a degree yes,

As with any business there is a proper price point. High enough to profit but low enough to attract new business.

There have been a ton of studies showing that point in racing based on current data. It's not really a mystery anymore, its just difficult to convince the powers that be.

thaskalos 09-12-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorrex (Post 2369538)

Why are the rebates such an "under-the-table" enterprise...to the extent where very few details about them ever get released to the general betting public? Why can't the general public readily obtain a list containing the rebate rewards for the different wagering-amount requirements?

Pensacola Pete 09-12-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperson (Post 2368196)
Why do the Whales bet win,place and knock down the odds? Is it because the exotics don't offer winning propositions? I think that with their expertise the exotics would offer better value.

They bet the exotics, too. It just isn't as noticeable at a glance. The bot sees value and bets it.

I doubt more than 20% of the teams are still making a profit. There are too many of them, and they're stepping on each others' toes. Flyer's team folded its tent a while ago. Some of the others are complaining about how tough it's gotten. Boo hoo, cry me a river.

I'm no longer anti-whale for two reasons.

First, the industry is going to disappear anyway. They're too stupid not to.

Second, I figured out how to use what the whales do to make a profit for myself. So I hope they or their replacements have plenty of money. I intend to get a share of it.

Dave Schwartz 09-12-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete (Post 2369634)
Second, I figured out how to use what the whales do to make a profit for myself. So I hope they or their replacements have plenty of money. I intend to get a share of it.

That's the spirit!

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

lamboguy 09-12-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz (Post 2369662)
That's the spirit!

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

don't laugh at this guy, he has the right idea!