Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whales (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147343)

Poindexter 09-10-2018 02:31 PM

Pure speculation by my part, but my belief is that whales are probably playing just about every pool there is. It is just more obvious when they pound a horse from 2-1 to 4/5 and it shows up after the bell. You have no way of knowing that they keyed that 4/5 on top in trifecta for $1500 and the superfecta for $600 and in the pick 3 for $1000.....

Why would they want to give up their profits in the straight pools? Assuming they have mastered the game and are printing money, they have done so by taking advantage of all opportunities. Even for them the game is full of bad streaks and big downturns, so the least thing they will want to do is fail to make their highest probability wagers, which helps keeps these downturns in check.

biggestal99 09-10-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2368905)
The problem with fixed odds betting is that someone has to book the bets. These tracks aren't going to leave themselves open to a big hit when they get the odds wrong and some sharp lays down big bucks. You see morning line odds that are way off everyday, what would happen if they were fixed odds?

The tracks wont book the odds, rent spaces to bookies. That way the books are on the hook for a bad price.

Every meet in the UK has bookies ready to take your loot. at major meets there are lots of them. just shop around for the best price and bet.

Let OTBs become bookie shops. oh sure you can still be the dinosuar but most will take the fixed odds,

Allan

biggestal99 09-10-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368914)
The tracks wont book the odds, rent spaces to bookies. That way the books are on the hook for a bad price.

Every meet in the UK has bookies ready to take your loot. at major meets there are lots of them. just shop around for the best price and bet.

Let OTBs become bookie shops. oh sure you can still be the dinosuar but most will take the fixed odds,

Allan

Let me set up a book at Monmouth.

I'd give people good odds and make lots of loot.

Allan

castaway01 09-10-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368915)
Let me set up a book at Monmouth.

I'd give people good odds and make lots of loot.

Allan

Yawn

biggestal99 09-10-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castaway01 (Post 2368929)
Yawn

Lol. I least I am thinking of how to improve the Monmouth product.

Fixed odds betting has revitalized Australian racing.

Allan

davew 09-10-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368979)

Allan

what pays for the purses for the horses running?

iamt 09-10-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2368979)

Allan

Something they have always had has somehow revitalized the industry??

BCOURTNEY 09-10-2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2368905)
The problem with fixed odds betting is that someone has to book the bets. These tracks aren't going to leave themselves open to a big hit when they get the odds wrong and some sharp lays down big bucks. You see morning line odds that are way off everyday, what would happen if they were fixed odds?

They will start banning sharp players, just like a sports book.

biggestal99 09-11-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY (Post 2369049)
They will start banning sharp players, just like a sports book.

They don’t ban sharpies at uk tracks, just limit their wins to £1,000

Allan

biggestal99 09-11-2018 12:23 PM

In the last 10 years in Australia purses have doubled and Pm Market share has went from 70 to 38 as fixed odds betting has taken over.

Allan

JerryBoyle 09-11-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestal99 (Post 2369217)
They don’t ban sharpies at uk tracks, just limit their wins to £1,000

Allan

This is effectively a ban

AltonKelsey 09-11-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBoyle (Post 2369231)
This is effectively a ban

Hmm , making 1000 a pop is a ban?

I assume its per wager and not for the whole year.

If thats a ban to you, you must be a very big whale

iamt 09-11-2018 06:48 PM

The increase in Purses isn't a product of the take form fixed odds bets. Until recently the bookmakers were paying about 0.3% of their handle as fees. That has increased in the last couple of years but only to about 2%, it is dramatically lower than what pari-mutuel wagering can provide.

The industry income from wagering would be no more and likely less in real terms than what it was 10 years ago. The increase in purses is more a product of inflation and some tax breaks/redistribution.

green80 09-11-2018 06:56 PM

the tracks put up the biggest part of the purse money and a large part of the tracks income comes from their part of the take. If you go to fixed odds betting and reduce the mutual handle, where is the purse money going to come from?

biggestal99 09-11-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green80 (Post 2369382)
the tracks put up the biggest part of the purse money and a large part of the tracks income comes from their part of the take. If you go to fixed odds betting and reduce the mutual handle, where is the purse money going to come from?

How do pennsy and New York have such good purses.
They are heavily subsidized. It’s not all from takeout.

Allan