Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL** (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Churchill Downs Track Layout (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44543)

Cratos 02-26-2008 03:57 PM

Churchill Downs Track Layout

1 Attachment(s)
The PDF below is a scaled drawn layout of Churchill Downs with each Derby quarter mile marked with its historical (1948-2007) average quarter time.

JustRalph 02-26-2008 05:56 PM

If you have never been there...........it is much smaller than it looks on TV. At least I thought it was. And that Stretch is longer than it looks on TV.

Cratos 02-26-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph
If you have never been there...........it is much smaller than it looks on TV. At least I thought it was. And that Stretch is longer than it looks on TV.

My first trip to Churchill Downs was in 1978 to see the Alydar-Affirmed matchup and I have been back every year since.

Murph 02-26-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cratos
The PDF below is a scaled drawn layout of Churchill Downs with each Derby quarter mile marked with its historical (1948-2007) average quarter time.

When can I get the other major track diagrams using this format?
Is something like that available, Cratos?

Murph

rokitman 02-26-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph

The stretch is well longer than the average one mile track. I have it at 1234'.

Cratos 02-26-2008 08:41 PM

Churchill Downs Stretch

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokitman
The stretch is well longer than the average one mile track. I have it at 1234'.

Take a look at the attached PDF in my prior post (enlarge PDF if necessary) and you will find that the Churchill Downs stretch is actually 1,234.5 feet long and 113.5 feet to the first turn. However in the KY Derby the run to the first turn is nearly 1,566 feet long when the run up to the start is included to the 1/4 mile start and the distance to the first turn.

Cratos 02-26-2008 08:55 PM

Track Layouts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph
When can I get the other major track diagrams using this format?
Is something like that available, Cratos?

Murph

Not to my knowledge, but we (my company) can re-create any track to scale in North America except Gulfstream and most European tracks plus the track in Dubai. However we do not sell or give this information away, but if you will send me a private message I will send the tracks you request if it is not a many track request. Also I plan to publish both Pimilco and Belmont very shortly to PA.

JPinMaryland 02-26-2008 10:18 PM

WHen you say "average time of 4th quarter" what are you saying here? Because obviously you are not taking the average of all horses, you are taking the average of what:

a) pace call? (could be different horse at different times)
b) the winner's fractions?
c) the fastest fractions...?

Because I added all the average times and it comes to 2:02 or so; I dont think that's the average time of a horse in the derby, its most likely the average winning times. But are you just taking the pace call, or the winners fractions or..?

Cratos 02-26-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
WHen you say "average time of 4th quarter" what are you saying here? Because obviously you are not taking the average of all horses, you are taking the average of what:

a) pace call? (could be different horse at different times)
b) the winner's fractions?
c) the fastest fractions...?

Because I added all the average times and it comes to 2:02 or so; I dont think that's the average time of a horse in the derby, its most likely the average winning times. But are you just taking the pace call, or the winners fractions or..?

The times are the average time of the leader at each quarter of the KY Derby from 1948-2007. These times came from the historical Derby records on the Churchill Downs website and can be found in an Excel spreadsheet in an earlier post, KY Derby Average Times, 1948-2007, posted by me in this thread.

JPinMaryland 02-27-2008 12:05 AM

Right, got it. I figured it was something like that. Anyhow where do you get sources for the Preakness and Belmont? The newspapers? Thanks.

Murph 02-27-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Not to my knowledge, but we (my company) can re-create any track to scale in North America except Gulfstream and most European tracks plus the track in Dubai. However we do not sell or give this information away, but if you will send me a private message I will send the tracks you request if it is not a many track request. Also I plan to publish both Pimilco and Belmont very shortly to PA.

Excellent - thank you.

Murph

rokitman 02-27-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the attached PDF in my prior post (enlarge PDF if necessary) and you will find that the Churchill Downs stretch is actually 1,234.5 feet long and 113.5 feet to the first turn. However in the KY Derby the run to the first turn is nearly 1,566 feet long when the run up to the start is included to the 1/4 mile start and the distance to the first turn.

Oh, yeah :)