Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My week at Saratoga (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171817)

1st time lasix 08-01-2022 09:09 PM

My week at Saratoga

🎩Arrived Tuesday evening… had dinner at Sperry’s .. after-dinner drink at both 15 Church and 9 Maple. The vibe downtown during track season is like a big block party. Busy but not scary ….at least prior to eleven. 😎Early each morning… trackside watching the magnificent equine athletes training up close. Observing all the trainers, assistants and riders do their hard work. Something about being there very early as the sun rises is soothing to my soul. The weather was truly glorious at that time of the morning. 🐎 Experienced the afternoon racing from the fence… the grandstand…the clubhouse… a private box….and the paddock. Enjoyed seeing the decked out ladies in their fancy hats. Tried various concessions Bought a couple souvenirs 💰Three winning days at the windows …and two days reluctantly donating to the pools. Laughs, racing drama, cheering and some quality time with my spouse and local friends. Siro’s…. Hatties….Cooperstown bar….Marino pizza. Back home now -without having to check in to a Betty Ford clinic! 🍻🍸. Already hoping I am able to go again next year, 👍🏻

HottalkersinKY 08-02-2022 05:46 AM

sounds like a nice experience hopefully one day that might just be me.
ty for the thread

westernmassbob 08-02-2022 06:53 AM

Great to see someone taking advantage of all that Saratoga Springs has to offer. I can’t tell you the number of people that drive in for that day that have no clue what they are missing out on. Speaking of restaurants the guy with the camera in the winners circle ( I forgot his name ) speaks very highly of “ The Wishing Well” restaurant. After asking several people about it they concur it’s one of the best restaurants in the area. I’ve never been so at some point I will try it.

Pigpen 08-02-2022 08:57 AM

That is what it is all about. I have never been to Saratoga but that is how I would enjoy it the most. Thanks for sharing.

Suff 08-02-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st time lasix (Post 2821284)
🎩Arrived Tuesday evening… had dinner at Sperry’s .. after-dinner drink at both 15 Church and 9 Maple. The vibe downtown during track season is like a big block party. Busy but not scary ….at least prior to eleven. 😎Early each morning… trackside watching the magnificent equine athletes training up close. Observing all the trainers, assistants and riders do their hard work. Something about being there very early as the sun rises is soothing to my soul. The weather was truly glorious at that time of the morning. 🐎 Experienced the afternoon racing from the fence… the grandstand…the clubhouse… a private box….and the paddock. Enjoyed seeing the decked out ladies in their fancy hats. Tried various concessions Bought a couple souvenirs 💰Three winning days at the windows …and two days reluctantly donating to the pools. Laughs, racing drama, cheering and some quality time with my spouse and local friends. Siro’s…. Hatties….Cooperstown bar….Marino pizza. Back home now -without having to check in to a Betty Ford clinic! 🍻🍸. Already hoping I am able to go again next year, 👍🏻

Great stuff, thanks for the cliff notes. Saratoga , not for everyone, but a spiritual experience for many.

Brass Hat 08-02-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernmassbob (Post 2821310)
Great to see someone taking advantage of all that Saratoga Springs has to offer. I can’t tell you the number of people that drive in for that day that have no clue what they are missing out on. Speaking of restaurants the guy with the camera in the winners circle ( I forgot his name ) speaks very highly of “ The Wishing Well” restaurant. After asking several people about it they concur it’s one of the best restaurants in the area. I’ve never been so at some point I will try it.

We ate at the Wishing Well the first weekend; usually eat there at least once during the meet. Pricey for us, we eat at the diners around Albany or the Ripe Tomato. Crowded, excellent service, food is good, wish they would bring back the raspberry pie.

andicap 08-02-2022 04:42 PM

Once ate at Lillian's back in the '90s and George Steinbrenner was in the house.

the little guy 08-02-2022 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andicap (Post 2821390)
Once ate at Lillian's back in the '90s and George Steinbrenner was in the house.

They are both in the same place as of now:-)

westernmassbob 08-02-2022 09:10 PM

Speaking of restaurants can anyone recommend a seafood restaurant for fried clams and lobster around the Saratoga area ? My uncle was always a fan of the Weathervane years ago but that’s another one gone goodbye.

BarchCapper 08-02-2022 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernmassbob (Post 2821435)
Speaking of restaurants can anyone recommend a seafood restaurant for fried clams and lobster around the Saratoga area ? My uncle was always a fan of the Weathervane years ago but that’s another one gone goodbye.

Eddie F's on Clinton St. - Eddie Fazzone a horse owner too who was recently interviewed on Steve Byk's show. Owner of Lobsta, Chowda and others in keeping with the theme. I have not had the opportunity to eat there, but those I know who have speak well of it.

Pigpen 08-03-2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarchCapper (Post 2821451)
Eddie F's on Clinton St. - Eddie Fazzone a horse owner too who was recently interviewed on Steve Byk's show. Owner of Lobsta, Chowda and others in keeping with the theme. I have not had the opportunity to eat there, but those I know who have speak well of it.

Hey Barch, do you ever cross the river for adult beverages? I am from Scranton. :)

BarchCapper 08-03-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigpen (Post 2821482)
Hey Barch, do you ever cross the river for adult beverages? I am from Scranton. :)

I haven't - but I could! One of my church members lives in Scranton. I completed the 5k distance of the Brewster Memorial last year - though I did very little running <G>.

Redboard 08-03-2022 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1st time lasix (Post 2821284)

Nice. Might I ad walking up North Broadway from Congress Park to the Skidmore college.

BMustang 08-08-2022 01:58 AM

I understand that one of my favorite places for breakfast and often dinner - The Malta Diner - has also gone over the rainbow.
This is very surprising since it was a bustling, horsey kind of place with good food for a reasonable price.
Too bad!!!