Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Software (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TimeformUs VS Betmix? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118951)

Flysofree 12-11-2014 10:31 PM

TimeformUs VS Betmix?

Can anyone compare these products that has seen both in the last 30 days?

I have never used this Timeform (It can't be used on Internet Expolorer.)

Betmix has added some new features recently that I haven't tried..

If you haven't tried both, I don't want an endorsement of either..

cj 12-12-2014 01:07 PM

Comparing two completely different things in my opinion, software vs past performances.

Flysofree 12-14-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Comparing two completely different things in my opinion, software vs past performances.

Probably so.

Without trying to tune past races and find a winner that way, Betmix used to have a generic Ranking of each horse . I haven't looked at it in some time and it generally picked the top 2 betting favorites, sometime the 3rd choice

Does Timeform have one number for speed predicted today or only past performance with a series of speed ratings... I know it's FAST!

Partsnut 12-18-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flysofree
Can anyone compare these products that has seen both in the last 30 days?

I have never used this Timeform (It can't be used on Internet Expolorer.)

Betmix has added some new features recently that I haven't tried..

If you haven't tried both, I don't want an endorsement of either..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would endorse Timeform as being a strong proven handicapping tool. The numbers are probably the best of it's kind for speed and pace handicappers.

As CJ pointed out we are talking about 2 different entities here and I realize there is no comparison between the two.
However, I would like to see some endorsements for Betmix. In my experience (60 years), multiple regression, back fitting and database software has never proven profitable or predictive over the long term.
Here again, I am speaking for myself and not for others and would welcome some success stories that would alter my personal thoughts. :D

Flysofree 12-18-2014 08:09 AM

Whatever method of handicapping is used in my humble opinion, needs to be highly selective. So there is a place for database handicapping in finding winners. Some people today talk about what trainers stats are, like it's the last word in handicapping. And that's a good approach. I once knew a successful handicapper that only bet races for NW of 3. Years ago when I first went to the Track, there was always a guy at the entrance selling Tipsheets... They had names like Jacks Little green card and the like. The ones I liked best were the ones with BEST BET OF THE DAY. I think that's the best approach for me on a limited bankroll.

shoelessjoe 12-18-2014 10:23 PM

Will Timeform ever be able to be used with internet explorer?

Speed Figure 12-18-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoelessjoe

Why not just use another browser? chrome, firefox, safari are all better than IE!

Flysofree 12-19-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Why not just use another browser? chrome, firefox, safari are all better than IE!

I thought so too for awhile, but I always find a reason to return to Internet Explorer. (I have not tried safari)

o_crunk 12-20-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoelessjoe

Yes, it will be.

You will notice that RagozinPPs works with IE 10 or higher. Soon we will migrate architecture that makes RagozinPPs work to TFUS and that will include the ability to access TFUS from IE 10 or higher.

When we started work on TFUS way back when, IE did not support webkit and certain aspects of CSS3 and this is why TFUS did not support use with IE. At that time, IE was not a modern web browser, so we did no development work to support it.

Obviously, IE came around and things have changed. So we will change with them.

shoelessjoe 12-21-2014 12:38 PM

Thanks sounds good

SpotPlays 12-21-2014 04:07 PM

Timeform US is a superior product, albeit different. Wasn't impressive with BetMix results.

Partsnut 12-21-2014 06:16 PM

I tried using Betmix's free race of the day on my android tablet and althought I used a premium flash browser App. I had considerable difficulty
adjusting the sliders on the Betmixer. To say the least it was cumbersome.
It seems to me that the developers of Betmix would try and accommodate
"Tablet" users with an App that would be similar to their software and keep up with today's technology. As far as I'm concerned portablity is essential in todays Mobile age of smart phones and tablets.
TimefomUS does accommodate Tablet and mobile users.
As well, the developers at Trackmaster seems to be working towards that end.

Tom 12-21-2014 10:23 PM

All I need is a freaking PDF.
Never going to have a use for all this new stuff.
Never going to use it.

I tried the TM MPH - waste of time.
I'll stick with the dos version - FAR superior.

Partsnut 12-22-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
All I need is a freaking PDF.
Never going to have a use for all this new stuff.
Never going to use it.

I tried the TM MPH - waste of time.
I'll stick with the dos version - FAR superior.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
To Tom and all.......A very merry Xmas.

The generic PDF files are good but the numbers are just that, numbers.
The numbers don't show the fine nuances needed to handicap many of todays races. The numbers are good for what they are but are not enough to recognize certain angles or spot plays. In my opinion, the time and effort invested in fine combing a racing form to make an informed decision on any given race is not worth the return. You know the old saying, don't quit your day job. :bang:

I myself tried TM MPH and came to the same conclusion as you did.
However, I have to commend Trackmaster for their efforts. They are marketing products to coincide with the new and future technologies. They are also trying to revive software that is now obsolete. Hopefully, they will update their current offering. In my opinion, it falls short of the original version.

I believe that Betmix has a good potential but they need to develop an APP or interactive site for Mobile users. Their computer offering works fine.
In fact, it is possible that they may have a worthwhile product. However, I haven't heard any success stories coming from anyone that has used it other then what I have read on their site. This in itself makes me skeptical as to who the reviewers are, where they came from and in fact if these reviewers are real.

Flysofree 12-22-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partsnut
I tried using Betmix's free race of the day on my android tablet and althought I used a premium flash browser App. I had considerable difficulty
adjusting the sliders on the Betmixer. To say the least it was cumbersome.
It seems to me that the developers of Betmix would try and accommodate
"Tablet" users with an App that would be similar to their software and keep up with today's technology. As far as I'm concerned portablity is essential in todays Mobile age of smart phones and tablets.
TimefomUS does accommodate Tablet and mobile users.
As well, the developers at Trackmaster seems to be working towards that end.

Let Dave at Betmix know this... My gripe about his program is in the "Race Results" section. It doesn't show when races have come Off the turf. He tells me this will be changed in early 2015.