Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is NYRA sick? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148596)

linrom1 11-08-2018 11:59 AM

Is NYRA sick?

I do understand the impact of weather on racing! But after all summer and autumn, one would think that racing operations, schedulers and coordinators would check the Weather Channel in advance once in a while.

Doing the same thing over and over time after time without making any sort of adjustments is stupid beyond stupid.

Here is ONE PIECE OF ADVICE for you, adjust the condition book!

PaceAdvantage 11-08-2018 12:04 PM

They should hire you.

Or did you apply for a job with them and get rejected. That would explain a lot.

dilanesp 11-08-2018 02:29 PM

I am a big critic of NYRA, but I bet writing condition books at Northeast tracks in the fall and spring when weather shifts are so common is a really tough job.

elhelmete 11-08-2018 03:16 PM

Can you imagine taking races off the turf in a condition book a week or more out and then the day turns up sunny? That would happen. A lot.
Dumb idea.

turfnsport 11-08-2018 03:48 PM

NYRA has 3 or 4 sub races in the condition book each day. I think there are probably some times several days out they know they likely will not be on the turf and maybe they could use the sub dirt races instead. Maybe they do that already, but does not seem like it. The last couple of months the weather has been ridiculous.

Tom 11-08-2018 08:20 PM

Maybe just too many races are carded for the turf.

Redboard 11-08-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2393888)
Maybe just too many races are carded for the turf.

Turf seems to draw larger fields, which attracts more bettors. Capping dirt races isn't rocket science, pick the speed horse. Turf is more random, more contestants have a chance.

Tom 11-09-2018 09:19 AM

And as we have seen pretty much all year at NYRA, when it rains those big field go to Hell in a hurry. If NYRA is dead set on becoming some kind f Europe East, maybe they should consider getting rid of dirt and putting in poly to support that goal.
Anyone have any stats on how that works at WO? GG?

I know weather is unpredictable, but when you put on your product outdoors, you have to keep looking for solutions.

ronsmac 11-09-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linrom1 (Post 2393637)
I do understand the impact of weather on racing! But after all summer and autumn, one would think that racing operations, schedulers and coordinators would check the Weather Channel in advance once in a while.

Doing the same thing over and over time after time without making any sort of adjustments is stupid beyond stupid.

Here is ONE PIECE OF ADVICE for you, adjust the condition book!

Yes they are.

Robert Fischer 11-09-2018 11:37 AM

Can't please everyone.

The turf-carded races are a big part of their business, and it takes brass balls to say "hey our weather guy thinks we've got a rain pattern in 2 weeks so we going to shift around 4 races each day for several days!"

I don't even know that they have a 'weather guy'.

Can't please everyone.

They did a solid job managing it and taking care of the turf course

castaway01 11-09-2018 12:51 PM

They don't have many horses to fill the dirt races with.

The turf races fill.

It's rained most weekends (or so it seems) in the northeast this year, and we're probably going to finish in the top 5 rainiest years in the last 150 years (that's a fact).

The horses to fill the dirt races don't exist, so they try for the turf. I's an impossible situation if you like full fields and turf races, but I have no idea what anyone who doesn't own a magic wand or crystal ball could do about it.

turfnsport 11-09-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2394099)
Can't please everyone.

The turf-carded races are a big part of their business, and it takes brass balls to say "hey our weather guy thinks we've got a rain pattern in 2 weeks so we going to shift around 4 races each day for several days!"

It's not two weeks....It is several days.

elhelmete 11-09-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turfnsport (Post 2394188)
It's not two weeks....It is several days.

Can you clarify?

Right now, the AQU condition book is available for 11/21-12/2.

11/21 is twelve days from now and 12/2 is more than 3 weeks.

Way too far out to adjust due to anticipated weather of specific days.

BombsAway Bob 11-09-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2394044)
And as we have seen pretty much all year at NYRA, when it rains those big field go to Hell in a hurry. If NYRA is dead set on becoming some kind f Europe East, maybe they should consider getting rid of dirt and putting in poly to support that goal.
Anyone have any stats on how that works at WO? GG?

I know weather is unpredictable, but when you put on your product outdoors, you have to keep looking for solutions.

While the underlying reason may be the eventual demise of Belmont,
the idea of putting a second turf course in at a track where optimum
weather will allow you to run on it two out of six months is baffling IMO.

turfnsport 11-09-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhelmete (Post 2394216)
Can you clarify?

Right now, the AQU condition book is available for 11/21-12/2.

11/21 is twelve days from now and 12/2 is more than 3 weeks.

Way too far out to adjust due to anticipated weather of specific days.

No I am saying that if on say a Sunday it looks like the following Thur and Fri are going to be washouts, to use the 3 or 4 substitute races already in the condition book when races are drawn if they are dirt races instead of turf races. Even if it just amounts to removing one turf race and adding a dirt race, the track would be ahead of the game.

They could actually be trying to do that already, I don't know. Sometimes dirt races just do not fill.