Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   World Cup 2022 - Qatar (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173337)

PhantomOnTour 11-12-2022 08:44 AM

World Cup 2022 - Qatar

A little over a week until the big tournament begins.

I'm going to be optimistic about the Cup being played midseason (in a strange place) rather than the summer:
>Players should be much fresher instead of coming off a full season of over 50 games (including all the different cup competitions).
>Travel & lodging will be simple once they get to Qatar. Teams (and fans) will stay in the same hotel for the duration of their stay. The country is small enough that they can commute to any stadium easily.

SLEEPER: I like Denmark to make a nice run to the quarters or better if things go their way. I love their attacking style.

BUST: I think Belgium may disappoint this year, despite having arguably the best all around player in the world in Kevin DeBruyne. They've been a top squad for a number of years but I get the feeling they are due for a letdown.

THE WINNER: I never pick them, but I thinks its Brazil's time once again. They should handle the weather and have a budding superstar in Vinicius Jr. (who was brilliant in the Champions League for Real Madrid last season).

Team USA has some very good young players in Reyna and McKinnie but find themselves in a low key tough group with England, Wales, and Iran. I'd be happy if they reached the knockout stage.

Who ya' got?

PhantomOnTour 11-12-2022 08:54 AM

By the way…Qatar

Do you pronounce it ‘cutter’ or ‘ka-tar’ ??

zico20 11-12-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2840930)
Do you pronounce it ‘cutter’ or ‘ka-tar’ ??

I pronounce it ka-tar, only the military says it cutter. The announcers say ka-tar. Belgium has been really good for so long but they never win anything, and they won't this time. I have to agree with you, I never pick Brazil but I got a feeling this time they make a deep run. The USA needs to get a tie out of England, maybe their goalie will give up an easy goal like the last time they met in the WC.

cj 11-12-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2840944)
I pronounce it ka-tar, only the military says it cutter. The announcers say ka-tar. Belgium has been really good for so long but they never win anything, and they won't this time. I have to agree with you, I never pick Brazil but I got a feeling this time they make a deep run. The USA needs to get a tie out of England, maybe their goalie will give up an easy goal like the last time they met in the WC.

I've been there and it was ka-tar for me, Don't know where the cutter came from tbh.

PhantomOnTour 11-21-2022 01:50 PM

Team USA kicks off their campaign vs Wales in a few minutes

let's go boys !

Inner Dirt 11-21-2022 02:10 PM

Why is our women's team usually good and the men's team is not? I know nothing about soccer.

elysiantraveller 11-23-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2842714)
Team USA kicks off their campaign vs Wales in a few minutes

let's go boys !

Fair result.

Honestly as a Chelsea fan I'm so fucking sick of hearing about Pulisic I'm quasi-rooting against the US.

Petty? Yes.

But USMNT fans are beyond obnoxious.

They aren't making it out of the group anyway and 4 years will be when they can really make a push. Squad is young.

snappit 11-23-2022 06:02 PM

Well it's been an exciting start with remarkable results for Japan and Saudi Arabia (probably the biggest shock result since the USA beat England in 1950. I hope that result doesn't get repeated on Friday (although you will all probably hope it does:)

Big respects for the Germans today after FIFA banned 7 countries England, Wales, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark from wearing the one love armband. They had their own protest when the pre match team photo was taken, signifying they were being silenced and their players wore rainbow laces. Both England and Germany are exploring the possibility of legal action against FIFA and Denmark want talks with other Nations about withdrawing from FIFA.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incomin...1245017871.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/amer...ce62f3#image=1

snappit 11-23-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2842720)
Why is our women's team usually good and the men's team is not? I know nothing about soccer.

Traditionally women's football has not been a big thing in other countries, while in the US it has been bigger than men's football and girls regularly play it at school, something that hasn't really happened over here, so the US women have had a big start on other countries. Womens football has really started to take off now in Europe and in particular the UK whose women won the European Championship, and we now have quite a solid professional league. I suspect as time goes on the more traditional football countries will catch up with the US in the women's game.

Inner Dirt 11-23-2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snappit (Post 2843087)
Traditionally women's football has not been a big thing in other countries, while in the US it has been bigger than men's football and girls regularly play it at school, something that hasn't really happened over here, so the US women have had a big start on other countries. Womens football has really started to take off now in Europe and in particular the UK whose women won the European Championship, and we now have quite a solid professional league. I suspect as time goes on the more traditional football countries will catch up with the US in the women's game.

Thanks, makes sense to me.

zico20 11-24-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2843042)
Fair result.

Honestly as a Chelsea fan I'm so fucking sick of hearing about Pulisic I'm quasi-rooting against the US.

Petty? Yes.

But USMNT fans are beyond obnoxious.

They aren't making it out of the group anyway and 4 years will be when they can really make a push. Squad is young.

It doesn't surprise me you are rooting against America. Do you root for us in anything? :bang:

elysiantraveller 11-24-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2843280)
It doesn't surprise me you are rooting against America. Do you root for us in anything? :bang:

If you follow club football overseas closely you'll quickly learn how insufferable American's can be when it comes to some things...

Christian Pulisic was the best winger in the world for about 7 weeks in 2020. Blew out a hamstring in the FA Cup Final and has never come close to that form again.

Since then he's written a book slagging off his manager that won him a Champions League (he is one of only two Americans to do so) and has a father who constantly takes to twitter bashing his playing time and whatever...

Fact is he isn't that good and wouldn't start in any of the big 6 of the Premier League...

But here we call him the LeBron James of soccer... some context for you.

----------------------------------

Also like I said, in 4 years this team might be able to really compete in the competition but its too young and horribly coached at the moment.

Inner Dirt 11-25-2022 01:33 PM

I just learned how to read soccer odds on Fan Duel, at first glance I thought the USA was favored over England.:lol::lol::lol:

snappit 11-26-2022 02:48 AM

Well done. You guys outplayed us and deserved the draw. A pretty dull match though. That was a very good result for you and a disappointing one for England who, for whatever reason, did not fire. Play like that against Iran and I think you'll beat them which will see you go through. England should do enough against Wales, and I think both USA and England will progress to the next round.

elysiantraveller 11-26-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snappit (Post 2843502)
Well done. You guys outplayed us and deserved the draw. A pretty dull match though. That was a very good result for you and a disappointing one for England who, for whatever reason, did not fire. Play like that against Iran and I think you'll beat them which will see you go through. England should do enough against Wales, and I think both USA and England will progress to the next round.

English team dropped 5s all over the pitch.

Its hard to single any one person out but Southgate coached a disasterclass. England, and the US for that matter, should get real managers.