Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Keeneland: $3 minimum and 15% takeout Turf P3 wager coming (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166966)

Andy Asaro 09-29-2021 02:36 PM

Keeneland: $3 minimum and 15% takeout Turf P3 wager coming

CheckMark 09-29-2021 02:45 PM

Why $3?

I guess to boost the payout and/or pool but some people wouldn't like to have an expensive ticket

Poindexter 09-29-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Asaro (Post 2757370)

Excellent :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Poindexter 09-29-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2757371)
Why $3?

I guess to boost the payout and/or pool but some people wouldn't like to have an expensive ticket

The higher the betting denomination the less likely the casual player just happens to have a winning price horse. When you are talking 50 cent pick 3 and a 12-1 wins, a player that spreads a lot likely hits the horse even if he did not like it very much. You are not rewarded for keying in some fashion that 12-1. But at a $3 betting denomination a small bettor going 5x6x7 over 3 races is going to have to come up with $630 (vs $105 on a 50 cent pick 3). The typical player is not going to outlay that kind of money and will miss a lot of these price horses they are currently connecting on. Thus the reason many horse players say they cannot get scores anymore in this game. If I recall correctly, I think when the pick 3 was introduced, it was a $3 minimum. This is a nice little step in the right direction. Bottom line is you get more value out of your value horses as the $ minimum goes up. Smaller players tend to focus more on the obvious(top 3 favorites, obvious singles......) out of necessity(to keep their play within budget).

Zman179 09-29-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poindexter (Post 2757383)
The higher the betting denomination the less likely the casual player just happens to have a winning price horse. When you are talking 50 cent pick 3 and a 12-1 wins, a player that spreads a lot likely hits the horse even if he did not like it very much. You are not rewarded for keying in some fashion that 12-1. But at a $3 betting denomination a small bettor going 5x6x7 over 3 races is going to have to come up with $630 (vs $105 on a 50 cent pick 3). The typical player is not going to outlay that kind of money and will miss a lot of these price horses they are currently connecting on. Thus the reason many horse players say they cannot get scores anymore in this game. If I recall correctly, I think when the pick 3 was introduced, it was a $3 minimum. This is a nice little step in the right direction. Bottom line is you get more value out of your value horses as the $ minimum goes up. Smaller players tend to focus more on the obvious(top 3 favorites, obvious singles......) out of necessity(to keep their play within budget).

You are mostly correct. While other smaller tracks had Pick 3 wagers, I believe it was Santa Anita that made the wager popular as the $3 Daily Triple. I believe it was offered on races 6 thru 8 in the late 80’s.

castaway01 09-30-2021 08:52 AM

I like it as a change of pace to maybe make the Pick 3 a good bet again. I'm sure their handle numbers will tell if people want to make the leap back to higher-denomination Pick 3 bets. Worth a shot I'd say.

cj 09-30-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2757371)
Why $3?

Those people have plenty other options.

Robert Fischer 09-30-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poindexter (Post 2757383)

Very Sharp post.

It goes both ways, but it will add some 'value' to the pools.

Doesn't mean it will give us a bunch of free overlays, as big-money will be hedging appropriately.

However, we should get a fair price. It's also possible that we have a contrarian opinion that would pay out as an overlay.

Gamblin4ever 09-30-2021 03:18 PM

I know I'm not as good handicapping turf races as much as dirt, so I tend to spread more in turf races when doing multi race wagers.

MonmouthParkJoe 09-30-2021 05:46 PM

I like it, lets just hope the weather holds up

BIG RED 09-30-2021 07:40 PM

I'm all in!

Should be good size fields too.

taxicab 09-30-2021 11:06 PM

I'm good with this bet.
Do like the all turf aspect........bigger fields equals better value.
And the broken sequence of races is kind of intriguing.
It just feels like the payouts will be solid.
In an odd way it might be like you're in the second leg of a .50 P-4,starting with a 5-1 shot.
I'll play it.

JohnGalt1 10-01-2021 01:17 PM

Who remembers the southern California tracks had a $5.00 minimum exacta?

Or when the superfectas were dollar minimums?

Remember the larger relative payoffs>

I played a $5 exacta at a California track --- Even money/even money/with 2 horses, cost $10.00, that paid $600.00 because a 30-1 won the third leg. Would that same ticket pay $120 with a dollar unit? Maybe $75?

sharkey11 10-01-2021 06:27 PM

dont mean to be rude but i didnt know exatas had a 3rd leg ? can you explain :) thankx

cj 10-01-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkey11 (Post 2757783)
dont mean to be rude but i didnt know exatas had a 3rd leg ? can you explain :) thankx

Maybe that was referring to the $1 super?