Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Whats with breakdown rate at Saratoga?? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140122)

cutchemist42 08-11-2017 02:41 PM

Whats with breakdown rate at Saratoga??

???

The rate at this point is just absurdly higher than norm right?if theres any issue that makes me think horse racing is on the wrong side of history, its meets like this seen in front of many.

zawaaa 08-11-2017 08:14 PM

that was a horrible scene in the 1st race today

it really isn't any better if it happens when no one's around, tho

zawaaa 08-11-2017 08:39 PM

for those of you who don't twitter :

PaceAdvantage 08-13-2017 12:18 PM

How many breakdowns on average does Saratoga suffer per year?

What were the numbers in each of the last 5 years?

Perhaps this is just an unfortunate statistical anomaly and can't be chalked up to a specific cause.

An examination of the statistics for the past 5-10 years could shed light on whether or not this is true.

GMB@BP 08-13-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2206897)
How many breakdowns on average does Saratoga suffer per year?

What were the numbers in each of the last 5 years?

Perhaps this is just an unfortunate statistical anomaly and can't be chalked up to a specific cause.

An examination of the statistics for the past 5-10 years could shed light on whether or not this is true.

I think right now its double of last year through half the meet.

Guess they will be replacing half the track for next season like Del Mar:rolleyes:

lamboguy 08-13-2017 12:33 PM

i bet one yesterday at 2nd Ft. Erie that broke down 2 steps out of the gate. i bet 2 horses in Saratoga that blew the break. these things happen in this game, and the statistics don't help you if land on the horse that is unfortunate.

never mind the stats and try to start picking more winners and the stats won't matter.

Jeff P 08-13-2017 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NYRA responds to horse safety concerns at the Saratoga Race Track:
http://news10.com/2017/08/09/nyra-re...ga-race-track/

According to the video Saratoga averages between 9 and 16 fatalities per year.

Also, according to the video, clay was added to the dirt surface this year.

I read an article at the Timesunion.com site back in early July that said more cushion and more clay had been added to the dirt surface this year.

NYRA upgrades track surface in advance of Saratoga racing season:
http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...g-11270686.php

Quote:

McKenna, who would not disclose the cost of the upgrades, said this year's maintenance included regrading and updating the inner and outer rail drainage ditches at both tracks. NYRA also added cushion to the main track only with a combination of sand and clay.

I mention clay because when I first started betting horses in the early 1980's I lived about 5 miles south of Turf Paradise -- and would bet live on track several days a week.

Back then the dirt surface at Turf Paradise contained a lot of clay -- and the slightest bit of moisture in it seemed to wreak havoc -- both with the horses and with the times of the horses.

To this day, whenever I hear the words clay and dirt surface in the same sentence -- rightly or wrongly:

My alarm bells go off.

-jp

SaratogaSteve 08-13-2017 06:29 PM

I was there Friday, and half of those horses in that race shouldn't have been on the grounds. However, the horse did take a bad step, it was pretty obvious from the pan shot live. The connections make for bad optics, unfortunately.

Redboard 08-13-2017 08:42 PM

NYRA publishes their equine injuries, which takes a lot of guts. They don't kick it under the rug like most scumbag tracks do. Which is one reason why I will never have a problem betting a betting NYRA track.

https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/index.php?

HalvOnHorseracing 08-13-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff P (Post 2206945)
I mention clay because when I first started betting horses in the early 1980's I lived about 5 miles south of Turf Paradise -- and would bet live on track several days a week.

Back then the dirt surface at Turf Paradise contained a lot of clay -- and the slightest bit of moisture in it seemed to wreak havoc -- both with the horses and with the times of the horses.

Turf Paradise was the only track in the country to move races from the dirt to the turf after a big rain.

FantasticDan 08-14-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2207235)
NYRA publishes their equine injuries, which takes a lot of guts. They don't kick it under the rug like most scumbag tracks do. Which is one reason why I will never have a problem betting a betting NYRA track.
https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/index.php?

NYRA is required to publish the injuries/fatalities to the NYS Gaming Commission, as are all NYS horse racing tracks, including Finger Lakes and harness.

Andy Asaro 08-14-2017 12:03 PM

Anyone know the last time the surface was dug up and the base replaced? Del Mar found multiple problems with the base when they dug it up earlier in the year but IMO the tides combined with rain greatly affect the base there.

Tom 08-31-2017 09:25 PM

Got a daily count on the local radio around here.
Bad publicity for sure.

Valuist 09-01-2017 03:20 PM

It was 11 years ago that Arlington had a number of breakdowns that were higher than recent years and management panicked and tore up the old dirt track and replaced it with Polytrack.

Since then, owners, trainers and bettors have abandoned AP.

betovernetcapper 09-03-2017 08:25 PM

A posible reason

for horses breaking down at Saratoga, is they have a lot of fast horses. Running at a blistering pace puts a lot of pressure on a horse's hoofs & at some point something snaps. It's the same with human athletes and dancers. The best of them are frequently playing through the pain. On the up side, the very fast horses that break down are usually competitive & probable enjoy their short life as a winning horse than a plodder that is used in farm work. This might not be true, but it's the most comfortable context to view it in.