Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gun Control poll (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143352)

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 01:02 PM

Gun Control poll

How do you feel about gun control laws?

elysiantraveller 02-16-2018 01:25 PM

Can't wait to hear the common sense laws.

Clocker 02-16-2018 01:33 PM

One option is missing from the poll. Gun control laws are ineffective because only law abiding citizens obey them, and those citizens would act the same way if there were no gun control laws.

Insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different result. Gun control laws clearly do not stop criminals, and it is insane to think that the solution to ineffective gun control laws is more gun control laws.

jocko699 02-16-2018 01:34 PM

You still don't get it Dan.

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2277390)
One option is missing from the poll. Gun control laws are ineffective because only law abiding citizens obey them, and those citizens would act the same way if there were no gun control laws.

So.. none then?

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2277383)

Any suggestions?

elysiantraveller 02-16-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277398)
Any suggestions?

Nah. Murder rate is historically low and it's very hard to believe a debate in good faith can happen with the gun control lobby.

Inner Dirt 02-16-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2277390)

Insanity is repeating the same action while expecting a different result. Gun control laws clearly do not stop criminals, and it is insane to think that the solution to ineffective gun control laws is more gun control laws.

This.

Clocker 02-16-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277393)
So.. none then?

You are the one that seems to think we need more laws. What common sense, constitutional gun control law would have stopped the latest school shooting?

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2277425)
You are the one that seems to think we need more laws. What common sense, constitutional gun control law would have stopped the latest school shooting?

21 to buy a gun?

PaceAdvantage 02-16-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277437)
21 to buy a gun?

Why not make it 40...

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2277439)
Why not make it 40...

Non sequitur. One of your specialties. :ThmbUp:

Clocker 02-16-2018 02:08 PM

Here's a hint at an effective common sense change in gun control laws:

Quote:

According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, from the 1950’s through July 10th of 2016, 98.4 percent of mass shootings have occurred on gun-free zones, with just 1.6 percent occurring where citizens are allowed to have firearms with them.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...research-shows

elysiantraveller 02-16-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277437)
21 to buy a gun?

:lol::lol::lol:

And there is case study one of why it isn't possible to have this discussion in a intellectually honest way.

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun. How's that working out? The VAST majority of homicides are committed with them not the evil "assault rifle" despite the talking point about banning them.

EDIT: I will take that back the honest part. Most of the anti-gun people on here are admittedly anti-gun and would take guns away from people if permitted. I disagree but can respect that.

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2277443)
:lol::lol::lol:

And there is case study one of why it isn't possible to have this discussion in a intellectually honest way.

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun. How's that working out? The VAST majority of homicides are committed with them not the evil "assault rifle" despite the talking point about banning them.

Would a 21 law have prevented Cruz from legally buying an AR-15, yes or no?

PaceAdvantage 02-16-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277440)
Non sequitur. One of your specialties. :ThmbUp:

Not at all...you don't have a good answer for my simple question that does a great job of exposing how silly your proposed 21 age limit is to those who can think rationally...

PaceAdvantage 02-16-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277451)

And if he was 21, what would you do next? Propose a 22yo age limit? :bang:

Now you can see why my last question to you was so important and not a non-sequitur by any means.

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2277453)
Not at all...you don't have a good answer for my simple question that does a great job of exposing how silly your proposed 21 age limit is to those who can think rationally...

Why is it silly? Please explain.

JustRalph 02-16-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277459)

Obtuse much?

Inner Dirt 02-16-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2277453)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277459)

So this recent Florida school shooting would not have happened if the shooter could not legally buy a gun?

elysiantraveller 02-16-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277451)

Yes.

Still don't see the point. Proper reporting of violent behavior would have done the exact same.

Is this the new mother-ship talking point? A 21 year old age. That applies to handguns. Still far and away the leading murder weapon.

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2277469)
Obtuse much?

Why is it obtuse? Please explain.

Please explain why the law in all 50 states doesn't believe a person is mature enough to buy alcohol until 21, yet in many states a "child" under 21 can legally purchase a long gun?

FantasticDan 02-16-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2277476)
Yes.

Still don't see the point. Proper reporting of violent behavior would have done the exact same.

Is this the new mother-ship talking point? A 21 year old age. That applies to handguns. Still far and away the leading murder weapon.

But doesn't it seem like common sense to extend that age requirement to long guns?

Inner Dirt 02-16-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277480)

Please explain why the law in all 50 states doesn't believe a person is mature enough to buy alcohol until 21, yet in many states a "child" under 21 can legally purchase a long gun?

I first fired a .22 rifle when I was 7, my dad and uncle were cops who took me target shooting. I had no problem with the proper safe use of a gun at that age. I doubt any 7 year old can handle drinking alcohol.

elysiantraveller 02-16-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277485)
But doesn't it seem like common sense to extend that age requirement to long guns?

No.

See handguns.

Tom 02-16-2018 03:32 PM

:pout:
Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277480)

TIme to lower the drinking age!!!

:1::8: or fight!

jay68802 02-16-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2277383)

Made by politicians no less....:lol:

Lemon Drop Husker 02-16-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2277373)
How do you feel about gun control laws?

For the most part, I'm perty good.

You?

There are more guns than people in this country. What is your suggestion for fixing the problem?

Tom 02-16-2018 04:39 PM

Besides whining about it.

jocko699 02-16-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2277583)
Besides whining about it.

And still no one is addressing the real problem:

No family structure, no moral foundation, no community involvement = a breeding ground of further mass murders whether with guns or any other weaponry.

Clocker 02-16-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2277537)
:pout:

TIme to lower the drinking age!!!

:1::8: or fight!

And make it mandatory. Get today's kids off drugs and get a few beers in them and the worlds will be a better place.

Augenj 02-16-2018 06:54 PM

How about a few quotes from Ronald Reagan which sound pragmatic and practical as I see it.

http://www.azquotes.com/author/12140...ag/gun-control

chadk66 02-16-2018 07:15 PM

we have regressed in this country in regards to guns. used to be nearly everyone knew how to use them and knew how to respect them. And there were morals in this country. That's all been thrown out the window. We need to have gun safety and usage classes in our school systems. Teach kids proper use, care and respect for them. When I was a freshman in high school my biology teacher had an FFL. Sold firearms on the side to supplement his teachers salary. All the guns needed to be signed for. Therefor they had to be delivered to the school. Just so happened UPS came during the period I had his class. He would run down and get them and bring them back to the class and open em up and pass them around for all to check out. And the thing that amazes me to this day is none of those damn guns jumped up and started shooting people.

Tom 02-16-2018 08:53 PM

Do do do do do do, oh yeah.....

Tom 02-16-2018 08:59 PM

Jimi says hi!

Clocker 02-16-2018 11:55 PM

Half the people replying to the poll have said that gun control laws need "common sense adjustments". Except for Dan's questioning of the age limit, none have identified any problems or proposed any improvements.

Tom 02-17-2018 12:01 AM

I tried, Clocker....a drunk can't hit shit!

jocko699 02-17-2018 12:16 AM

I wish an answer in the poll was sterilization of humans. Would that not stop all the mass killings?

pandy 02-17-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2277826)
Half the people replying to the poll have said that gun control laws need "common sense adjustments". Except for Dan's questioning of the age limit, none have identified any problems or proposed any improvements.

First of all, some of the rhetoric the media is spreading is absurd. For instance, they say that tougher gun laws hasn't helped Chicago. But Chicago's gun crimes are being committed by drug dealing gangs, not some introverted nerd who wants revenge. There's no question that better background checks would have stopped many of these creeps from buying a gun legally. Some say that they would get it illegally, let them try. You have to go into very dangerous areas and deal with dangerous people to buy something like an AR-15 illegally. And, if we had tougher penalties for people who sell guns illegally, it would be even harder to get a gun. We are way too easy on illegal gun sellers.

Tougher gun laws would not eliminate murders or these type of shootings, but they would help, and we have to save as many lives as possible.

Personally, I think that every school should have a fenced yard and metal detectors. When I go to an NFL game, no one gets inside the fencing without being checked for weapons. It's unfortunate that we have to subject children to this, but we have to, because we simply can't keep allowing this to happen. This is a crisis. Parents have to pressure school boards because the gov't isn't doing their job when it comes to these school shootings.

I grew up in a section of Brooklyn, East NY. We moved when I was ten, but even then it was getting bad. Eventually, over 1800 people were murdered in that one square mile area in one year! But then Rudy became mayor. Murders in New York went from over 3,000 to about 300 once Rudy Guiliani became mayor. You can stop criminals. But you have to have a smart plan and you have to make it tougher for them to commit crimes.

JustRalph 02-17-2018 09:15 AM

“Tougher gun laws would not eliminate murders or these type of shootings, but they would help, and we have to save as many lives as possible. “

Not true.

Its so damn easy to get illegal guns on the street because certain segments of society thrive by stealing and selling them. Contrary to what you posted, Burglars don’t wait for people to come to them. If they have a hot AR15 they will be actively pushing that fact on the street. They don’t sit around like a retailer. They move their merchandise fast. The word gets out quickly.

More gun laws only burden law abiding citizens.