Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking at horses on the track. What do you look for? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143182)

alhattab 02-11-2018 10:50 AM

Lots of good advice here. The tail and ears to me are really important. A kinked tail is a real positive. All other tails are not, other than perhaps a wrapped up tail in the mud.

Ears as previously mentioned.

And I never bet horses that are yelling in the paddock- typically observed in 2YO races.

Wet tracks or rain- is the horse comfortable being in the open or is it trying to shield from the rain? Feet- normal stride or picking up hooves quickly (a negative).

I have this book "Horses Talk: It Pays to Listen" by Trillis Parker, of whom I've never heard other than this book. Forget where I got it- maybe DRF Press. It's pretty good. I've never been able to find the Ledbetter VHS.

green80 02-13-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alhattab (Post 2275183)
Lots of good advice here. The tail and ears to me are really important. A kinked tail is a real positive. All other tails are not, other than perhaps a wrapped up tail in the mud.

Ears as previously mentioned.

And I never bet horses that are yelling in the paddock- typically observed in 2YO races.

Wet tracks or rain- is the horse comfortable being in the open or is it trying to shield from the rain? Feet- normal stride or picking up hooves quickly (a negative).

I have this book "Horses Talk: It Pays to Listen" by Trillis Parker, of whom I've never heard other than this book. Forget where I got it- maybe DRF Press. It's pretty good. I've never been able to find the Ledbetter VHS.

Trillis Parker and her husband developed the Truline software, very good handicapping software. As far as looking at the horses, most people can't do it with any degree of accuracy. I think a persons time would be better spent in other handicapping areas.

davew 02-13-2018 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alhattab (Post 2275183)

The video is called 'The Body Language of the Race Horse' along with Chris McCarron and put out by Lawlor enterprises.

alhattab 02-16-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2276289)
The video is called 'The Body Language of the Race Horse' along with Chris McCarron and put out by Lawlor enterprises.

Thank you, sir.