Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Will Rogers Downs Most Boring Announcer (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157543)

kernel 04-20-2020 04:52 PM

Will Rogers Downs Most Boring Announcer

The most monotone, dull race calls I've ever heard.

dilanesp 04-20-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernel (Post 2590676)
The most monotone, dull race calls I've ever heard.

Hey, he's working!

CheckMark 04-20-2020 08:14 PM

John Lies I think is pretty good. He may seem boring but he’s better than me :lol:

Clocker 04-20-2020 09:29 PM

I can understand him, unlike a lot of announcers who think that they have to talk loud and fast to hype the race as exciting.

Dahoss2002 04-20-2020 09:43 PM

I think the Tampa Bay guy is my least favorite

mountainman 04-20-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2590785)
John Lies I think is pretty good. He may seem boring but he’s better than me :lol:

I'm sure it takes tons of hard practice to become a competent caller. But that doesn't necessarily mean John Lies has more innate talent for race-calling than you do. My hunch is the potentially best race callers, race riders, and racing analysts, for that matter, are people who have never even considered working toward those occupations.

While some practitioners of those professions no doubt have true aptitude, they are not relatable to , let's say, NBA or NFL players, who not only worked hard in preparation for those careers, but whose one in a million talents practically mandated what they should work hard AT.

Horse facing is an interest that can become a career. Nobody becomes a professional athlete just because they love sports.

ReplayRandall 04-20-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590814)
Horse facing is an interest that can become a career. Nobody becomes a professional athlete just because they love sports.

To have a stellar career as an analyst, as an announcer, as a trainer or as a pro-horseplayer, all involve two must haves.....First, you must have a real passion/fire and secondly, you must work as hard and smart as the best in the game do, to succeed.

I don't believe anyone feels like it's a job, it's a blessing....Doing the thing you love and getting paid for it. How does it get any better than that, in this life?

Never be afraid to aim for being the best, at whatever endeavor you choose, you'll only be cheating yourself out of a remarkable life.

mountainman 04-20-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall (Post 2590824)
To have a stellar career as an analyst, as an announcer, as a trainer or as a pro-horseplayer, all involve two must haves.....First, you must have a real passion/fire and secondly, you must work as hard and smart as the best in the game do, to succeed.

I don't believe anyone feels like it's a job, it's a blessing....Doing the thing you love and getting paid for it. How does it get any better than that, in this life?

Never be afraid to aim for being the best, at whatever endeavor you choose, you'll only be cheating yourself out of a remarkable life.

Doing tv analysis never feels like a job to me. I'd do it for free. A labor of love. But although you're obviously a sharp guy, you somewhat missed the point of my post.

ReplayRandall 04-20-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590832)
Doing tv analysis never feels like a job to me. I'd do it for free. A labor of love. But although you're obviously a sharp guy, you somewhat missed the point of my post.

I got your point, and the thread was someone's opinion of the talents of a mediocre race-caller....I just was jumping off of YOUR starting points about careers in horse racing/sports...That's all....We're on the same page, same frequency, I just kicked it up to being "stellar" or the best.

Boomer 04-21-2020 10:39 AM

Interesting, Just last week I said to myself (no one else to talk to these days) this guy is pretty good, nice delivery without the commentary which can become very annoying.

But then again, I like Peter Berry.

JUST KIDDING PETER, CALO AND VIC ARE ALL IN A GREAT CLASS BY YOURSELVES!

Robert Fischer 04-21-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590814)
I'm sure it takes tons of hard practice to become a competent caller. But that doesn't necessarily mean John Lies has more innate talent for race-calling than you do. My hunch is the potentially best race callers, race riders, and racing analysts, for that matter, are people who have never even considered working toward those occupations.

While some practitioners of those professions no doubt have true aptitude, they are not relatable to , let's say, NBA or NFL players, who not only worked hard in preparation for those careers, but whose one in a million talents practically mandated what they should work hard AT.

Sam Bowie comes to mind from your stream of thought. Saw him at the Meadows one day (believe part of an ownership group /Harness racing).

'Witness Protection' couldn't have kept Bowie safe, from the predetermined fate of playing basketball, but apparently some opportunity or love for the sport of harness racing, contributed to it being one of his second careers.:ThmbUp:

cj 04-21-2020 12:01 PM

I've got no problem with John Lies. He gives good, accurate calls. There are only a few tracks running and he is probably the most accurate of the four thoroughbred tracks going IMO.

Robert Fischer 04-21-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2590921)
I've got no problem with John Lies. He gives good, accurate calls. There are only a few tracks running and he is probably the most accurate of the four thoroughbred tracks going IMO.

TBH, I haven't really 'noticed' his calls(usually that is a Good thing for announcers).

Never had a book on him, but he always seemed 'classy'.

Mason 04-21-2020 01:27 PM

My instant mute announcer list, in order, based on either inaccuracy, voice quality, not impartial due to their betting habits, screaming incoherently, or just can't follow the field/race flow correctly.

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn

cj 04-21-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 2590967)
My instant mute announcer list, in order, based on either inaccuracy, voice quality, not impartial due to their betting habits, screaming incoherently, or just can't follow the field/race flow correctly.

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn

Colonial? What's wrong with Jason?