Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Handicapping Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GRAND SLAM YOUR OUT!!!!! (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44264)

rolling 02-17-2008 10:51 PM

GRAND SLAM YOUR OUT!!!!!

Object of the bet in the first 3 races get your horse to show, last leg get the winner.On 2-16 I played the bet,race5 my horse shows,race 6 my horse shows.Race 7 I have #2 to show,horse finished third,race 8 I have the winner,great I win, not so fast.The 7th race has a coupled entry,they finish 1, 2 .Results of race,1 1a 4 2.The #2 is not considered a show horse,trifecta pays 1 4 2.I go to window to cash get the bad news #%&%#!!! I always thought a coupled entry is considered one betting interest.The NYRA web site on the wagering page has no mention of this rule.It is hard to win at this game but come on give me a ##%# BREAK!!!!!

Robert Fischer 02-17-2008 11:07 PM

tough beat.

If you have an entry with both parts finishing top 3, do you get paid twice for that leg of the Grand Slam? You should, if they dis-allow a ticket like yours. If not, double-##%#!

ryesteve 02-17-2008 11:20 PM

I don't see the controversy here. If you'd bet the #2 to show in that race, you wouldn't have collected either, so why would you expect to cash a Grand Slam ticket where you need to have a show horse?

Murph 02-18-2008 05:06 AM

I played the two under similar circumstances that day.

It was disapointing to have the entry win 2/3 of the show pool
even though I gave them a 50% chance to do that.

Murph

jma 02-18-2008 07:49 AM

Your horse finished fourth, not third. I don't see what the problem is. You don't cash a show ticket when a horse finishes fourth.

AQUEBUCKS 02-18-2008 11:55 AM

2/16/2008

th Race

Next Post 3:49 Off: 3:20 | 1 1/16 Miles | 4 Year Olds And Up | Allowance Optional Claiming ($75,000) | Purse: $51,000

#HorseJockeyWeightWinPlaceShow 1Buddha CallingLopez C C1185.204.603.10 1AOedipus O'NealDominguez R A1185.204.603.10 4Wild UnionArroyo N Jr118

AQUEBUCKS 02-18-2008 12:43 PM

error

AQu 7th
win place show
1 Buddha Calling 5.20 4.60 3.10
1a Oedipus O'Neal 5.20 4.60 3.10
4 Wild Union 4.30

#2 does not pay either way

Murph 02-18-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jma
Your horse finished fourth, not third. I don't see what the problem is. You don't cash a show ticket when a horse finishes fourth.

Obviously.

I feel Rolling's frustration and NOT because the entry shouldn't make out
two places in the payouts. I have yet to make a grandslam wager
so I hadn't considered the impact of that placing on the slam until I read
the post.

Rolling had the worst of it compared to my bet though. As an aside, I believe
I'll start making the slam wager more often. It fits what I'm doing and the
posts here about the action on it have been interesting.

Thanks for sharing this one, R

Murph

toetoe 02-18-2008 05:48 PM

I'm delighted and refreshed by your naive hope, murph, as it points to my pet peeve.

The exacta, according to the rules, is determined by the win/place finishers. Yet the exacta pays off on the win/show horse when it finishes, e.g., 1/1A/2. What the ?? Either the entrymate should be disregarded for the place payoffs, or the exacta should pay off on 1/1. It won't blow up the system to install a 1/1 key, a 2/2 key, et cetera. More betting interests. :jump:
But as it stands, the exacta can be win horse/show horse or, in the case of D. W. Lukas in the old days, win horse/way-out-of-the-money horse. :bang:

Pace Cap'n 02-18-2008 06:56 PM

Haven't you heard? Got to watch those "1/2" keys.

Zman179 02-18-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
tough beat.

If you have an entry with both parts finishing top 3, do you get paid twice for that leg of the Grand Slam? You should, if they dis-allow a ticket like yours. If not, double-##%#!

No, but you do get an increased payoff just as if you had played the 1 to place.

jma 02-18-2008 08:36 PM

I don't play this bet, but obviously watch it when there's an entry in there. What else is there to say?

TEJAS KIDD 02-18-2008 08:36 PM

In the PLACE PICK ALL in California, the rules are the opposite. If the entry runs 1/2, then the 3rd horse is considered a winner for Place Pick All purposes.
Terrible rule in New York...

Murph 02-19-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toetoe
I'm delighted and refreshed by your naive hope, murph, as it points to my pet peeve.

The exacta, according to the rules, is determined by the win/place finishers. Yet the exacta pays off on the win/show horse when it finishes, e.g., 1/1A/2. What the ?? Either the entrymate should be disregarded for the place payoffs, or the exacta should pay off on 1/1. It won't blow up the system to install a 1/1 key, a 2/2 key, et cetera. More betting interests. :jump:
But as it stands, the exacta can be win horse/show horse or, in the case of D. W. Lukas in the old days, win horse/way-out-of-the-money horse. :bang:

Kind of makes you wonder just who is being protected by entry rules
doesn't it? Your suggestion on removing the entry from consideration in
exotics might even go one step further and simply eliminate the coupled entry
alltogether. The problem in NY is that there would be 100 times the angry
Ralph's when they had a Henry Dominguez pulled on them.

I just have to remember the entry rules are there to protect me as a bettor.

Murph

Fastracehorse 02-19-2008 04:00 PM

That is funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolling
Object of the bet in the first 3 races get your horse to show, last leg get the winner.On 2-16 I played the bet,race5 my horse shows,race 6 my horse shows.Race 7 I have #2 to show,horse finished third,race 8 I have the winner,great I win, not so fast.The 7th race has a coupled entry,they finish 1, 2 .Results of race,1 1a 4 2.The #2 is not considered a show horse,trifecta pays 1 4 2.I go to window to cash get the bad news #%&%#!!! I always thought a coupled entry is considered one betting interest.The NYRA web site on the wagering page has no mention of this rule.It is hard to win at this game but come on give me a ##%# BREAK!!!!!

I'm laughing with you on this one.

That is messed up.

fffastt

Fastracehorse 02-19-2008 04:01 PM

That makes sense in Cali..

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEJAS KIDD
In the PLACE PICK ALL in California, the rules are the opposite. If the entry runs 1/2, then the 3rd horse is considered a winner for Place Pick All purposes.
Terrible rule in New York...

But what is NY thinking???

fffastt

BombsAway Bob 02-19-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastracehorse@DRF
But what is NY thinking???

fffastt

"The Grand Slam" was ex-Rockingham Park TV Guy Bill Nader's idea...
Why they continue it now that he scooted to Hong Kong is a mystery.
Few simulcast outlets offer it & The Grand Slam has never increased it's low handle, even after a few years promoting it.
They would make out better adding Supers in ALL RACES with 7 or more runners.