Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Who is TVG's Peter Lurie? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142494)

thaskalos 12-27-2017 03:33 PM

Who is TVG's Peter Lurie?

A horse named Capiche won the 7th race at Mahoning Valley at 30-1 odds, and Peter Lurie expressed SHOCK that the horse was such a huge price while being "only 10-1 on the morning line"...even though Capiche was in ATROCIOUS form, and Lurie never mentioned the horse in his pre-race- "analysis". "That was a HUGE overlay", Lurie declared post-race...after telling us that he is a "life-long horseplayer", and a great lover of the sport.

Can TVG engage Cj to teach these guys a little something about handicapping, so their viewers might, in turn, learn a little something...even by accident?

cj 12-27-2017 04:06 PM

I think he just got hired as Santa Anita's in house expert. 🤣

thaskalos 12-27-2017 04:09 PM

Truth is stranger than fiction. :eek:

oughtoh 12-27-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2254326)
I think he just got hired as Santa Anita's in house expert. 🤣

That is true. He is with the woman that is on TVG later today, think her name is Meghan.

Tom 12-27-2017 04:26 PM

Sounds more like the outhouse expert.

How much did he bet on it?

TVG = Greek for "mute" :rolleyes:

GMB@BP 12-27-2017 04:28 PM

Many of these guys at TVG offer no real insight into how to handicap and bet the horses.

Its a shame really.

I am reading a book right now and one think I thought of was how empty the marketplace is for a new younger player when it comes to learning the sport.

You surely will learn very little from TVG. For all the Andy Serlings out there that provide valuable insight on the handicapping process there are to many that just give you one obvious fact and reason to play every horse.

JustRalph 12-27-2017 04:52 PM

Tough room.

Lurie was one of the lead hosts on HRTV for years. He knows the game pretty well. He’s also a voiceover guy with nice credits

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lurie

oughtoh 12-27-2017 05:00 PM

I would rather listen to him anyday instead of Todd or Mike Joyce.

thaskalos 12-27-2017 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2254365)
Tough room.

Lurie was one of the lead hosts on HRTV for years. He knows the game pretty well. He’s also a voiceover guy with nice credits

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lurie

The 7th race at Mahoning today had 9 horses...and when it was time for Lurie to make a pre-race selection, he picked the :2: True Appeal, who was the 9/5 betting choice....without mentioning Capiche at all. Capiche was an off-form horse who was worth every penny of the 30-1 that he was offered at. With only 2 tracks running in the entire country during that time...what prevented Lurie from identifying the "bargain price" that Capiche was offered at, BEFORE the winner was revealed? If Capiche was the "huge overlay" that Lurie made the horse out to be after the race...then, why did he select the :2: as his betting choice? Wasn't he concerned with "overlays" when he chose the :2: as his betting choice in the race? :rolleyes:

As an on-air horse racing host, the man is a total joke, IMO...and it's a sad testament to the current state that our game finds itself in when someone with this sort of handicapping "knowledge" can get a job as the in-house "expert" in a major racing place like Santa Anita.

Franco Santiago 12-27-2017 08:23 PM

For all of you that criticize people that are public handicappers, please tell me what you would do differently? Would you pick more winners? Advertise your win rate? Offer "insightful" comments and items of interest that you somehow glean that no one else does? Blather trainer and jockey stats? Discuss the pace of the race with amazing accuracy? WHAT?

Please. Concentrate on your own game. You'll be way better off.

Racey 12-27-2017 08:51 PM

Lurie.....meh

I mean no national handicapper offers more than the great Kenny Peck..... 90 percent are beyond awful led by the TVG staff ....I would say that kid Bernier is a fraud as well borrowed cash from grand mom to fund his game and now somehow is the games newest star.....some game.:rant:

thaskalos 12-27-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Santiago (Post 2254433)
For all of you that criticize people that are public handicappers, please tell me what you would do differently? Would you pick more winners? Advertise your win rate? Offer "insightful" comments and items of interest that you somehow glean that no one else does? Blather trainer and jockey stats? Discuss the pace of the race with amazing accuracy? WHAT?

Please. Concentrate on your own game. You'll be way better off.

I know what I would do:

I would select the favorite before the race...and then I would dazzle my audience by returning to the race after it's over...and telling them all the reasons why the longshot winner was such a "huge overlay" in the race. :ThmbUp:

And, yes...we DO concentrate on our own game. But we can easily "multi-task", by also criticizing the incompetence in the game...when we see it.

Franco Santiago 12-27-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2254440)
I know what I would do:

I would select the favorite before the race...and then I would dazzle my audience by returning to the race after it's over...and telling them all the reasons why the longshot winner was such a "huge overlay" in the race. :ThmbUp:

And, yes...we DO concentrate on our own game. But we can easily "multi-task", by also criticizing the incompetence in the game...when we see it.

The game needs superior talent such as yours. You should better the game by attaining a job in the industry as a public (TV) handicapper. You can make a difference.

thaskalos 12-27-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Santiago (Post 2254445)
The game needs superior talent such as yours. You should better the game by attaining a job in the industry as a public (TV) handicapper. You can make a difference.

Now you are talking! Put me in front of the TVG camera...and watch the interest in this game skyrocket. :ThmbUp:

kingfin66 12-27-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2254446)
Now you are talking! Put me in front of the TVG camera...and watch the interest in this game skyrocket. :ThmbUp:

I think the fans would really dig your mustache :ThmbUp: