PDA

View Full Version : The Malibu

Tom
12-26-2012, 11:29 AM
:4: The Lumber Guy working ok, first time with Drysdale, 7 furlongs looks within his reach. Will he regress from that double top in his last two?

:8: Private Zone, drop in figs on the poly last time, back to dirt today. Slightly better double tops than TLG, will he hook up with Basmati and use too much early?

:5: Polticallycorrect was a much improved horse in his last two.

:10: Unbridled's Note off two grass sprints, but he is getting better, forging ahead since his first race. Good efforts against older the the distance, this guy might be the play today, if I can get 5-1 or better.

sally
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM
:2: Jimmy Creed - Nearly won a Graded Stakes at Santa Anita, can rate, long works, nice speed figs, and has Gomez.

:10: Unbridled's Note - won Grade 3 at Santa Anita (on turf though), good works for a freshening, I like Nakatani and Asmussan, if he doesn't get stuck in traffic I'm looking for him to come a runnin' in the stretch.

Exotic1
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
The Lumber Guy - like many Hushion horses he exploded this Fall. He just walked on by in the Vosburgh, visually impressive seemed like no effort. Followed Trinni around the track in the Sprint. TLG was certainly on the Hushion Program but is now 1st time Drysdale. Put in great back to back efforts.

Private Zone - looks like the only speed. Unfortunate trip last time after Comma broke slowly. PZ chased and was engaged by a recovered Comma at the 3/8's pole. Smiling Tiger tripped out to win. Put in 3 good efforts in row, now what?

Jimmy Creed - mystery horse. Didn't fire last time even though he was on a good rail. 2 back he was in contention but seemed to drop back coming out of the turn only to re-rally and come home well??

Politicallycorrect - Dahoss thought this horse would close last time even though on surface he looked like a tracking router. Just don't think they're going a 1:08 for 6f today.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2012, 06:34 PM
tough race!

:8: private zone was huge in the Damascus.

:3: drill covered this trip in the Sanc Vicente and has been showing life in the mornings off the layoff.

tough tough race and could be hotly contested. I'm not a Lumber Guy fan either.

10¢ superfectas , total=$268.80
:3::8: all all all
all :3::8: all all
all all :3::8: all
all all all :3::8:

Some_One
12-26-2012, 06:41 PM
:5: Politicallycorrect to fly out of it late is my guess, don't have the lumber guy as a contender here (weak connections for an even money horse IMO).

Tom
12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice, Sally! :ThmbUp:

Exotic1
12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Ditto. Nice call Sally.

I bet out on the 8.

Robert Fischer
12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
tough race!

:8: private zone was huge in the Damascus.

:3: drill covered this trip in the Sanc Vicente and has been showing life in the mornings off the layoff.

tough tough race and could be hotly contested. I'm not a Lumber Guy fan either.

10¢ superfectas , total=$268.80
:3::8: all all all
all :3::8: all all
all all :3::8: all
all all all :3::8:

gene simmons :kiss:

$0.10 Superfecta (2-8-10-3) Paid $340.51
hit it 2x

+$412.22 :jump:

classhandicapper
12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Regarding The Lumber GUY (and to a lesser extent My Miss Aurelia), it's pretty amazing how many very good horses that ran big races in the BC tend to run sub par races when they come back out of those races. There's probably a pattern or reason for it, but I haven't noticed it yet.

Plenty of horses come out of the BC races to run well, but some of the better ones disappoint.

I guess any horse that is cranked for a 100% performance and delivers it late in the season is a little more vulnerable.

That was one of a few reasons I tried to beat Groupie Doll in the Cigar, but she ran great. Hard to figure.

Tom
12-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Were MMA and TLG getting started on the 2013 campaign, or were they well-meant the other day?

Some_One
12-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Were MMA and TLG getting started on the 2013 campaign, or were they well-meant the other day?

Both had big changes which made it questionable that they could repeat their BC figure (MMA was cutting back from a route to sprint and TLG had a trainer change)

Exotic1
12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I thought the same about TLG (trainer change) and MMA (distance change). Don't know about the figs of these next out's after the BC. Some of the Bet Back horses on PA's list didn't win but they seemed to have run good races. Don't have the figs on MMA but the race conceivably could have produced a 96-98 Beyer which would have put that effort similar to sprints that she won - albeit earlier on.

SharpCat
12-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Not sure about TLG but I thought MMA was well-meant. Nakatani ride was criminal. He could have taken back off the 2 leaders but instead forced the pace 3 wide into a 21.75 2nd quarter. "Not the ideal trip" Nakatani remarked. I definitely see a rider change for her next start.

classhandicapper
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Not sure about TLG but I thought MMA was well-meant. Nakatani ride was criminal. He could have taken back off the 2 leaders but instead forced the pace 3 wide into a 21.75 2nd quarter. "Not the ideal trip" Nakatani remarked. I definitely see a rider change for her next start.

I agree. I thought that was a terrible ride. But even with that ride/trip, I thought she didn't run best.

TLG had a trainer change, but it wasn't like he was going to a bad trainer. He ran poorly.

Stillriledup
12-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Taken back? Speed was golden, it was a hard track to 'take back' on. I dont blame him for the ride, he saw the first few races of the day, he knew what the bias was like.

SharpCat
12-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Taken back? Speed was golden, it was a hard track to 'take back' on. I dont blame him for the ride, he saw the first few races of the day, he knew what the bias was like.

After watching the replays of the races leading up to the LaBrea and the LaBrea itself how can you not blame Nakatani. It was so speed biased that the winners of the 1st, 2nd and the LaBrea 4th managed to take back and win. He had a perfect opportunity to sit the golden trip behind 2 speed horses. Instead of sitting chilly he decides to send her up there 3 wide and push the pace. She ran her heart out but was dead tired the last 1/8th.

Stillriledup
12-31-2012, 08:42 AM
After watching the replays of the races leading up to the LaBrea and the LaBrea itself how can you not blame Nakatani. It was so speed biased that the winners of the 1st, 2nd and the LaBrea 4th managed to take back and win. He had a perfect opportunity to sit the golden trip behind 2 speed horses. Instead of sitting chilly he decides to send her up there 3 wide and push the pace. She ran her heart out but was dead tired the last 1/8th.

Horses were running uphill, it was hard to gain ground, the track had moisture in it and was drying out and the closers werent getting the best of the traction. The front runner in the La Brea got pressed by this great grade 1 champion all the way and almost held off a perfect trip closer, if the bias was 'even' there's no way the Miller horse would have been in the photo while being hounded hard all the way. She had the track carry her to the line.

cj
12-31-2012, 10:25 AM
That was not a speed biased track on Malibu day.

cj
12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
TLG had a trainer change, but it wasn't like he was going to a bad trainer. He ran poorly.

This wasn't exactly that trainer's sweet spot, to be nice.