PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Running winxp pro and cant boot to the safe mode . Have tried the 3 options (normal,comd. prompt,networking ) but all of them return to the original option page. No restore points are available and malwarebytes and spybot don't reveal anything unusual. Any help would sure be appreciated.
TD

headhawg
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Are you saying that you can boot into Windows normally but not into Safe Mode? That would be unusual as Safe Mode loads far less drivers and services.

However, by default Windows will do a restart after an update or a BSOD. You can disable that feature by going to System Properties, clicking the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Startup and Recovery area, and then uncheck the box for Automatically restart. You might now be able to see any errors that Windows reports before the reboot. (You can also disable this restart feature from the same menu that Safe Mode is on.)

HUSKER55
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I am not a guru and was hoping someone who knew would have responded.

Can't you open your virus protection and go to the restores point?

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks HH, Yes, I can boot to normal windows.
I found the problem when there were a few files in the temp dir. that I couldn't delete so I attempted to go to the safe mode and try to delete them. I was concerned that some virus had disabled the safe mode option but not having found it with malwarebytes or spybot I thought maybe I should pursue it . I am hoping
that it is simpler than a virus I guess.
TD

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
There are no restore points which are different
apparently but I did try to restore to 3 or 4
of those listed.
Thanks,
TD

headhawg
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
TD,

Some viruses can stop a computer from entering Safe Mode as they want to prevent virus/malware scans from working properly. Do you know how to use the registry editor (RegEdit.exe)? If you do then check this: Boot into Windows and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SafeBoot and see if it is there along with it's subkeys Mininal and Network.

If those keys are not there then go here Restore Safe Mode (http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/), download the SafeBoot.zip file, unzip into a temp folder, and look for the .reg file appropriate to the XP version that you have. DONT CLICK IT!! (Read the warning below.) I checked the SP3 version and it doesn't appear to anything bad; it seems to simply restore the missing keys/subkeys.

WARNING -- Messing with the registry is risky. Merging a .reg file adds certain entries into your computer's registry. It appears to me that nothing bad is in the merge file, but if you run this do so at your own risk.

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
TD,

Some viruses can stop a computer from entering Safe Mode as they want to prevent virus/malware scans from working properly. Do you know how to use the registry editor (RegEdit.exe)? If you do then check this: Boot into Windows and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SafeBoot and see if it is there along with it's subkeys Mininal and Network.

If those keys are not there then go here Restore Safe Mode (http://blog.didierstevens.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/), download the SafeBoot.zip file, unzip into a temp folder, and look for the .reg file appropriate to the XP version that you have. DONT CLICK IT!! (Read the warning below.) I checked the SP3 version and it doesn't appear to anything bad; it seems to simply restore the missing keys/subkeys.

WARNING -- Messing with the registry is risky. Merging a .reg file adds certain entries into your computer's registry. It appears to me that nothing bad is in the merge file, but if you run this do so at your own risk.
I'll check the registry and get back with you . Sounds like the file needs to be merged but I am not clear exactly. Let see if those files are gone first.Thank you,
TD

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll check the registry and get back with you . Sounds like the file needs to be merged but I am not clear exactly. Let see if those files are gone first.Thank you,
TD

I checked the registry and Safeboot and its 2 submenus(minimal , network) were both present.
( I backed up the registry)

Thanks,
TD

TexasDolly
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
For some reason (intentional or unintentional)
a backup program named EASUS TO Do was blocking my access to the safe mode. After I removed it
I was allowed to boot up in the safe mode.Weird
I know.
Thanks,
TD

HUSKER55
12-26-2012, 06:04 PM
i have no idea what this means but on my computer I use ASUS for the motherboard. EASUS is listed under the backup program section.

this is when I make a call to my computer guy. Because this is where I get lost.

hope this helps or at least does no harm :D

Good Luck

headhawg
12-27-2012, 08:57 AM
For some reason (intentional or unintentional)
a backup program named EASUS TO Do was blocking my access to the safe mode. After I removed it
I was allowed to boot up in the safe mode.Weird
I know.
Thanks,
TDThat is a little weird. I am not sure why that program -- or any legitimate program -- would prevent one from accessing Safe Mode. Strange. Hopefully things will work normally for you now.

TexasDolly
12-27-2012, 09:31 AM
I talked later to an IT acquaintance and he said he had seen that with an antivirus program and one other but he couldn't remember which one.
I had only installed 2 programs recently one was Imgburn and the other EasusToDo so I removed them one at a time and found the culprit.
It seems that mostly this occurs when a virus takes charge and prevents a boot to the safe mode to protect itself.
Thanks again ,
TD