PDA

View Full Version : "I'm the Governor of Oklahoma"

Actor
12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
News today about some senator being arrested for DUI reminded me of this story which made the news back in 1970 (or 1971).

It seems a summit of governors was to be held in Chicago. Instead of flying to Chicago, Governor Ed Edmondson of Oklahoma decided to drive to Chicago (via Route 66 I suppose) and save the taxpayers some money. Alone in his car the Gov arrived in Chicago and got pulled over by a cop. During the exchange the cop asked the Gov what he did for a living.

"I'm the Governor of Oklahoma" said the Gov.

"Very funny. What do you do for a living?"

"No joke. I'm really the Governor of Oklahoma."

"Sir, I'm not in the mood. I need to know if you are employed and, if so, what kind of work do you do?"

"I really am the Governor of Oklahoma."

"OK. That's it. You're under arrest. Lock your car. I'm taking you in."

Thus did the governor of Oklahoma spend the night in jail in Chicago, Ill. :lol:

TJDave
12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Interesting story, however:

Ed Edmondson was never the governor of Oklahoma. His brother, J. Howard was governor from '59-'63.

Actor
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Interesting story, however:

Ed Edmondson was never the governor of Oklahoma. His brother, J. Howard was governor from '59-'63.You're right. I'm certain the story is true since I read it in the papers at the time. But I seem to have the wrong brother, the wrong governor or the wrong date, or maybe all three. They say memory is the first thing to go. I've been trying to find a link to the original story but so far no luck.

plainolebill
12-24-2012, 09:45 PM
News today about some senator being arrested for DUI.....

Another hypocrite politician, a Mormon and self described teetotaller arrested for drunk driving. :ThmbDown: