PDA

View Full Version : Improve your Win %

karlskorner
01-31-2004, 11:44 AM
He may be dead a long time, but worthwhile reading and print.

http://www.americanturf.com/newsletter/show.cfm?id=270

sq764
01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
I am not sure I agree with this statement though:

"In short, it is bad business to bet two dollars on one selection and ten dollars on another. The player’s wager should be the same amount for each selection. Otherwise, one too frequently sees the two-dollar bet result in a winner and the ten-dollar wager in a loser"

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Gonna move this to the Handicapping section...

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Mr. Talbot and many other writers may have good ideas, but unless handicapping is/was their vocation I am inclined to take most of what they say with the proverbial "grain of salt", id est, unless it is provable with your own research. I could write a book about how to make money in the real estate market. Whom would you believe; me or the "Donald" after looking at our tax returns? Just show me your last 5 years of tax returns and I'll be convinced you know what you're talking about if you claim to be an expert at handicapping the horses. I know I'm not!

-LCII

Pace Cap'n
01-31-2004, 06:36 PM
By now we are all well acquainted with your cynicism.

Most folks here didn't just get off the turnip truck.

Id est, give it a rest.

BTW, good luck finding a more respected handicapper and author than Ray Taulbot.

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n

BTW, good luck finding a more respected handicapper and author than Ray Taulbot.

Mr. Pace Cap'n,

I am a cynic when it comes to this business. There are many fine racing authors, but not too many vocational handicappers. Mr. Taulbot was an excellent author, but I don't think his vocation was handicapping. It requires hours of intense study and concentration on a daily basis to make your living as a handicapper, leaving little time to be a professional writer.

-LCII

sq764
01-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Well if his theories and angles can still be applied to this day, and can be profitable, I doubt he was the fraud you think he was.

Who cares whether he was a recreational handicapper or one that made a living doing it? The principals he wrote about were effective.

If I wrote 5+5 = 10 and a Mathemetician wrote 5+5=10, would his answer be 'more right' than mine?

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I doubt he was the fraud you think he was.

Mr. sq764,

Who said he was a fraud? If you can use his ideas and they work for you, I say, "Use them." HAND

-LCII

Cratos
01-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Lousycapper II:

I don’t know how long you have been in this game and I can understand your skepticism because there are more “text-perts” selling how to beat the races theories than there are handicappers who apply their trade on a daily basis and make money doing it.

Therefore I have been in this game for nearly 40 years and although I never met Ray Taulbot personally, I have never heard anyone or read anything that cast him as a “text-pert.” This doesn’t make him a saint, but it does make him one of the good guys.

Also for those of you who believe that Andrew Beyer is the “Father of Speed Handicapping,” you need to do some research, because Ray Taulbot was there with his Pace Calculator before Beyer came on the scene.

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Cratos
Lousycapper II:

I don’t know how long you have been in this game and I can understand your skepticism because there are more “text-perts” selling how to beat the races theories than there are handicappers who apply their trade on a daily basis and make money doing it.

Therefore I have been in this game for nearly 40 years and although I never met Ray Taulbot personally, I have never heard anyone or read anything that cast him as a “text-pert.” This doesn’t make him a saint, but it does make him one of the good guys.

Also for those of you who believe that Andrew Beyer is the “Father of Speed Handicapping,” you need to do some research, because Ray Taulbot was there with his Pace Calculator before Beyer came on the scene.

Mr. Cratos,

Since I am not yet 17 most of my experience, including my cynicism, is a product of my grampa who has been handicapping horses for a living since shortly after WWII. I was 5 or 6 when I first went to a race track with him, so I am a neophyte in this business.

I believe "Pittsburgh" Phil Smith was the first to use speed as an aid to handicapping. He hired his own clockers and chart makers even before the DRF was first published. He also paid jockey's to win races rather than run "boaters" which were common in those days. Mr. Taulbot, however, refined speed for use by the everyday handicapper with his Pace Calculator.

-LCII.

sq764
01-31-2004, 10:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could inherit cynicism.. Is that like male pattern baldness?

lousycapperII
01-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Wow, I didn't know you could inherit cynicism.. Is that like male pattern baldness?

:D I couldn't be sure...still have all of my hair. :D

-LCII

kenwoodallpromos
02-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Cynicism is a negative trait- critical thinking is a positive one!

kingfin66
02-01-2004, 02:23 AM
Although I enjoy reading Talbot's articles in ATF, the passive tone that he wrote in drives me nuts. Now you, LCII, employ an excellent writing style. I'm being sincere here. It is very nice to see someone so young with such good writing skills. It will serve you well in your future endeavors.

lousycapperII
02-01-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by kingfin66 It is very nice to see someone so young with such good writing skills. It will serve you well in your future endeavors.

Mr. Kingfin66,

Thank you...Hopefully writing skills will help me get through college faster, starting this year. However, I doubt they will help me in my endeavor to make handicapping my vocation. We shall see.

-LCII

lousycapperII
02-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
Cynicism is a negative trait- critical thinking is a positive one!

Mr. Ken Woodall,

:D After reading many of the ideas espoused on this forum it tends to make one cynical in a positive way. :D

-LCII

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2004, 02:16 PM
So why did you come back?

JustMissed
02-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey PA, What ever happend to idea of being able to vote people off the board.

JustMissed
:mad:

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Who would pick the "contenders?"

JimL
02-01-2004, 03:12 PM
lousycapper, if you ever write a book on racing I will be the first one to rush to the book store and buy the Taulbot book. Mr Taulbot is not like you , he thinks racing is about horses and the people that deal with them and how the player deals with both.

karlskorner
02-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I post some articles.

andicap
02-01-2004, 04:29 PM
LC,
What the hell is controversial about THAT article? -- if needed Ray Taulbot did write it and it wasn't an ATM put-up job. (Written recently and attributed to the Taulbot brand name.) How can you criticize the author for those sound ideas? I've never seen anything out of you even remotely as intelligent. Looks like the ignore button is calling again.

It's all basic handicapping common sense which "Taulbot" himself said was aimed toward beginners, but sprinkled with ideas that even the most seasoned veteran needs reminding from time to time.

Thanks, Karl!

JustMissed
02-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Karl,

Please don't let one a..hole poster get you "tilted".

I, like many, enjoy your post and referrenced articles.

Please keep up the good work, we appreciate it.

JustMissed
:)

karlskorner
02-01-2004, 05:02 PM
I really think the "boy" should print the article and show it to his Grandfather, who probably suckled hind tit from RT's writings.

lousycapperII
02-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
So why did you come back?

Mr. PaceAdvantage,

:D Why do people put their cat's tails? Heh, heh! :D

If this is an open forum...then one must be able to express their opinions without calling people derogatory names just because you disagree with them. You wonder about my cynicism...just read some of your posters replies and you'll have part of the answer. You'll never win an argument by calling a person names. I have expessed my thoughts and opinions without resorting to name calling. Is lack of civility the critiria for posting here...hmmmmmmm, I hope not?

HANE Everyone,

-LCII

sq764
02-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Lack of civility?

You were beat up a lot in school, weren't you?

lousycapperII
02-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Lack of civility?

You were beat up a lot in school, weren't you?

Mr. sq764,

I am home schooled. The state of California requires physical education as part of your curiculum. I have been boxing since I was 12 and have boxed in several PAL and Golden Gloves Tourneys. I am 6' 2" and weigh 196 pounds. I have lost 4 decisions to more experienced boxers. I won 17 of 21 fights, 11 by K.O. So no, I haven't been "beat up" in school, and hopefully it will remain that way.

HANE,

-LCII

PaceAdvantage
02-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by lousycapperII
Mr. PaceAdvantage,

:D Why do people put their cat's tails? Heh, heh! :D

If this is an open forum...then one must be able to express their opinions without calling people derogatory names just because you disagree with them.

Since you were removed from active status some time ago, but chose to return under a slightly different name, you'll get no sympathy from me when someone calls you a derogatory name.

I originally removed you because you disrupted the flow of most every thread you participated in, and you always participated with the same condescending lies. Nobody believes you are merely 17, and everyone is tired of hearing about grandpa and how everyone is a lying thief or a bad handicapper, or both. You're another one who thinks you are the only one who knows all the answers.

We've been down that road a zillion times with a zillion different nicks. I gave you a chance to come back (when I should have just rejected your re-application) and be a bit more productive, but you've failed my expectations once again.

Since it's obvious you hold most here in disgust, I'll save you the trouble of having to slog through all the vapid messages on this board. Surely one of your supreme intellect and handicapping prowess has better things to do with your time.

HANE to you as well, and thanks for screwing up another thread.

sq764
02-02-2004, 02:00 AM
LCII, I see they scheduled physed instead of English in CA..

It's 'curriculum'

lousycapperII
02-02-2004, 02:22 AM
LCII, I see they scheduled physed instead of English in CA..

It's 'curriculum'

Mr. sq764,

Thank you for the correction...I will use "spell check" next time.

HANE

-LCII

JimL
02-02-2004, 07:44 AM
Lousy, A big guy when you get that rest between rounds you have a little time to brush up on Ray Taulbots Pace Calculator. JimL

jjgold
02-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Bet win only!!

best shot and bet with 7% rebate shops