PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer Looong race

iceknight
12-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I thought they did not have any races longer than 1 3/4 mile in the US. I was really surprised when I switched to MTR R8 after the last race at Penn national (just to watch something)..

This race kept going on and on..

Post time: Dec, 21 21:57
Distance: 2 1/4M Surface: Dirt
Track Conditions: Muddy
Purse: $30,000.00
Race Conditions:
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE STARTED FOR A CLAIMING PRICE OF $10,000 OR LESS IN 2011-2012. Three Year Olds, 122 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. Non-winners of a race at a mile or over since November 21 Allowed 3 lbs. (Claiming races for $12,500 or less not considered in estimating allowances) (First Preference to this Marathon Series Winners)(Preference To Highest Earnings In 2011-2012).

TWO and a QUARTER?? Can American horses even run that much? Romance Argentino.. the winner did control the pace well and then bound off to win by 8 lengths. But I am still in shock. A 2 mile + flat race in US???

bdownes
12-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Beulah has a 2 mile race and Ellis Park has a 2 1/4 mile race called the Twice Around.

Shemp Howard
12-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I thought they did not have any races longer than 1 3/4 mile in the US. I was really surprised when I switched to MTR R8 after the last race at Penn national (just to watch something)..

Race Conditions:
FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE STARTED FOR A CLAIMING PRICE OF $10,000 OR LESS IN 2011-2012. Three Year Olds, 122 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. Non-winners of a race at a mile or over since November 21 Allowed 3 lbs. (Claiming races for $12,500 or less not considered in estimating allowances) (First Preference to this Marathon Series Winners)(Preference To Highest Earnings In 2011-2012).

TWO and a QUARTER?? Can American horses even run that much? Romance Argentino.. the winner did control the pace well and then bound off to win by 8 lengths. But I am still in shock. A 2 mile + flat race in US???

Is it over yet?

Robert Goren
12-22-2012, 08:33 AM
A lot of small tracks used to a series of races with increasing distances as the meet wore on. I believe here Lincoln, they had race at either 2 1/2 or 3 miles on closing day for a number of years. People liked to talk about, but I am not sure if they actually bet on it. I know it was a lot laps around a 5 furlong track.

thespaah
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Is it over yet?
Nope, you can view the "Alice's Restaurant Stake" in progress at www.dadarewethereyet.

iceknight
12-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Beulah has a 2 mile race and Ellis Park has a 2 1/4 mile race called the Twice Around. Neat. would be fun to watch one live.. just like R goren noted.

mountainman
12-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Race Conditions:

My boss, mnr's racing sec, joe narcavish, is far underrated and somewhat innovative. He's quietly designed and pulled off concepts that few of his peers would even attempt.

rrpic6
12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Well done Mountainman. Time to enjoy the Holidays and hibernate.

RR

davew
12-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Whenever I watch those long races, it seems some jockeys lose track of what lap they are on.

mountainman
12-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Well done Mountainman. Time to enjoy the Holidays and hibernate.

RR
Hated that first dark period two years back. Now need it to blog, update track profile and do some research. Happy holidays. Hope 2013 is profitable for you.

mountainman
12-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Whenever I watch those long races, it seems some jockeys lose track of what lap they are on.

It's been awhile. We can only hope it happens again.

Saratoga_Mike
12-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Funny, are you referring to the marathon race at MNR a few yrs ago (maybe 5 to 7 yrs ago--can't remember exactly) when a jockey thought the first time around was the finish of the race? He was first under the wire and then stopped riding. What made it even better (as long as you didn't bet that horse) was the announcer called the race as if it was over. It was the former MNR announcer. After the race, the announcer came on and apologized for his screw up. For some reason, I think the rider was a Stokes, but not sure. Does anyone remember this?

mountainman
12-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Funny, are you referring to the marathon race at MNR a few yrs ago (maybe 5 to 7 yrs ago--can't remember exactly) when a jockey thought the first time around was the finish of the race? He was first under the wire and then stopped riding. What made it even better (as long as you didn't bet that horse) was the announcer called the race as if it was over. It was the former MNR announcer. After the race, the announcer came on and apologized for his screw up. For some reason, I think the rider was a Stokes, but not sure. Does anyone remember this?

I recall lumpkins doing it once. But that was since pete became our announcer, and he would never make that kind of mistake.

Saratoga_Mike
12-22-2012, 05:58 PM
I recall lumpkins doing it once. But that was since pete became our announcer, and he would never make that kind of mistake.

What year? Driving me crazy that I can't remember the year or horse.

Valuist
12-22-2012, 06:13 PM
How many turns is 2 1/4 miles at Mountaineer?

rrpic6
12-22-2012, 06:16 PM

That had to be about ten years ago. I think there were two jockeys whipping their horses down to the wire.....at the first time around.....it might have been Deshawn Parker or Dana Whitney on one of those horse. Jim Dolan was the announcer, but he kept saying they have to go around one more time! The two jocks pulled their horses up after the finish line as the other horse kept going on. It was amazing!

RR

Pace Cap'n
12-22-2012, 06:23 PM

I remember that, sorta, I'd say '01 or '02.

Saratoga_Mike
12-22-2012, 06:29 PM
It had to be 2002 or later. I remember where I watched the race from, and I wasn't in this area prior to that. The announcer may have said the jockeys need to go around again, but only after announcing the race as if it ended the first time around (at least in the race I'm referencing that's what happened). After the real finish, the announcer paused and said something like, "I apologize that was one of the most embarrassing mistakes of my career."

thespaah
12-22-2012, 10:52 PM
How many turns is 2 1/4 miles at Mountaineer?
MNR is a one mile oval. Race starts at the top of the home stretch. Goes around two turns twice.

Track Collector
12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
The (no longer racing) Northampton Fair had a 1 5/8 mile race at one time, and they still have one called the Humboldt County Marathon at Ferndale, CA. This is quite demanding for lower level "fair" quality horses. Both tracks are 1/2 mile ovals, so the race ends at the 4th passing of the finish line. I have heard stories that in order to keep track of the number of laps completed, some jockeys would place small objects in their mouths, then spit them out one by one each time they passed the finish line.

maclr11
12-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Assiniboia Downs ran a 1 3/4 finale this year on closing day
Two riders moved a little too soon as you will see
One of the funniest moments ive seen
Check it out here
http://www.assiniboiadowns.com/race-replays.cfm
Choose Race 7 and it should start playing

rrpic6
12-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Assiniboia Downs ran a 1 3/4 finale this year on closing day
Two riders moved a little too soon as you will see
One of the funniest moments ive seen
Check it out here
http://www.assiniboiadowns.com/race-replays.cfm
Choose Race 7 and it should start playing

Wow, eerily similar to aforementioned Mountaineer marathon race. Let me be the first to say "pinhead jockeys". The guy on the #4 horse is whipping his horse down the stretch the first time after going six furlongs in 1:19! Both horse and jockey might need therapy after that effort.

RR

AlbertButtry
12-24-2012, 10:58 PM
That had to be about ten years ago. I think there were two jockeys whipping their horses down to the wire.....at the first time around.....it might have been Deshawn Parker or Dana Whitney on one of those horse. Jim Dolan was the announcer, but he kept saying they have to go around one more time! The two jocks pulled their horses up after the finish line as the other horse kept going on. It was amazing!

RR

It was Dana Whitney and I believe Benny Marcial the other.