PDA

View Full Version : No Oaklawn on TVG next year

Al Gobbi
12-20-2012, 05:54 PM
It has just been announced that HRTV will be the exclusive broadcaster for Oaklawn races in 2013. While not having seen a PR, I take it as if TVG elected not to continue its relationship with Oaklawn.

horses4courses
12-20-2012, 06:02 PM
It has just been announced that HRTV will be the exclusive broadcaster for Oaklawn races in 2013. While not having seen a PR, I take it as if TVG elected not to continue its relationship with Oaklawn.

Fine by me :ThmbUp:

usedtolovetvg
12-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I take it as if TVG elected not to continue its relationship with Oaklawn.

Or maybe vice versa.

ronsmac
12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
When they made the deal to put Tampa Bay back on tvg , plus Santa anita and golden gate now being shown on tvg, it became pretty obvious Oaklawn was going to be lost in the shuffle.

usedtolovetvg
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Considering average daily handle and attendance declined about 10% and the fees that TVG charges for the pleasure of being on their network, it wasn't a big winner for OP.

http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-average-handle-declines-2012-meet

Tom
12-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Live races were seriously cutting into the sophomoric chatter among the talking heads at TVG. Why last winter, on Saturday, TVG accidentally showed two races in a one hour time slot! :eek:

NTamm1215
12-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Considering average daily handle and attendance declined about 10% and the fees that TVG charges for the pleasure of being on their network, it wasn't a big winner for OP.

http://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-park-average-handle-declines-2012-meet

Oaklawn's handle has everything to do with their disregard for managing post times. They constantly run on top of other tracks and that wrecks them, given that they start after a number of more popular signals.

They'll be 5th fiddle on HRTV late in the afternoon to Gulfstream, Aqueduct, Fair Grounds and Santa Anita.

ronsmac
12-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Oaklawn's handle has everything to do with their disregard for managing post times. They constantly run on top of other tracks and that wrecks them, given that they start after a number of more popular signals.

They'll be 5th fiddle on HRTV late in the afternoon to Gulfstream, Aqueduct, Fair Grounds and Santa Anita.
Plus Laurel and Golden Gate.

Shelby
12-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Oaklawn is my favorite meet of the year. I'm very disappointed to hear this.

Stillriledup
12-21-2012, 09:53 PM

It also hurts them that they are picky as to which ADW's they permit to carry their signal.

thespaah
12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
It also hurts them that they are picky as to which ADW's they permit to carry their signal.
Some track management decisions and policies just leave me scratching my head.
Logic would dictate that track managements should do whatever it takes to increase interest in their product and thus increase handle.
Now, if I were marketing magician guru at Oaklawn for a day, I would call a meeting of department heads. I would then ask would the person responsible for the mismanagement of post times( if that is indeed THE problem) please raise their hand. "Ok, you there, what's your name and have you thought about a career beyond the gates of Oaklawn Park?...You haven't? That's a shame. Because you now need to do just that. Pack your things or I will have someone pack them for you."

usedtolovetvg
12-22-2012, 11:36 AM
I haven't had a boss in 25 years who actually cared about the business he was in, only the perks that having that job provided him. I wouldn't be surprised in the OP management went to the dining room everyday for their free meal and patted each other on the back for the great job they were doing.

thespaah
12-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I haven't had a boss in 25 years who actually cared about the business he was in, only the perks that having that job provided him. I wouldn't be surprised in the OP management went to the dining room everyday for their free meal and patted each other on the back for the great job they were doing.
Looks like you've spent much time working for large companies.

Al Gobbi
12-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Or maybe vice versa.
Good Point. I think Frank M had a big reason as to why TVG was able to show Oaklawn races this year (and the declines in business), recall OP and TVG had a bitter fall-out previously - around 2006 or so when TVG elected to show Hawthorne races over OP.

usedtolovetvg
12-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Looks like you've spent much time working for large companies.

Not that large. Certainly not too big to fail.

usedtolovetvg
12-23-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/oaklawn-will-to-broadcast-exclusively-with-hrtv-in-2013/

Charli125
12-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Big time. Used to be one of my favorite, and most profitable tracks. Now I can't play them through my primary ADW, so I don't even look at their races any more. What a shame to send customers away.

Don't really care that they won't be on TVG for the same reason. I'm not playing there so I can't be bothered to watch.