PDA

View Full Version : Hard to believe

Actor
12-20-2012, 03:11 PM
My sister called a couple of days ago and we had a nice long chat, during which she told me the following story.

My uncle (by marriage) died about a year and a half ago. He's still in storage at the funeral home. No one has come up with the money for a funeral. Until someone does (it's not going to be me) he's going to remain parked in the corner of the back room at the funeral home.

He was about 90 years old. I never saw him after I left home for college in 1962. I'm not surprised that no one is paying for his funeral. I don't know anyone who liked him, even his kids. My aunt divorced him.

What does surprise me is that the town, county or state (Oklahoma) has not buried him. Don't they have pauper's funerals? And why does the funeral home have him in the first place? Are they holding the remains hostage until someone comes up with some cash? If so I think they're in for a long wait. :lol:

Greybase
12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
What does surprise me is that the town, county or state (Oklahoma) has not buried him. Don't they have pauper's funerals?
AFAIK after a period of time, according to State law if nobody claims the body, the Mortuary is allowed to cremate his remains. Obviously it's costly to the Mortuary business to maintain cold storage. I think "Boot Hill" burials are a relic of the past... nowadays they just burn 'em :cool:

Undertakers... that's one American business most people don't think about. Err... I don't even WANNA know about.

TJDave
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Was he a vet?

Actor
12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Was he a vet?Yes. WWII.