PDA

View Full Version : NHL

Pages : [1] 2

Robert Goren
12-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Has there ever been a league fade from memory so fast? Does anybody even care if they get their labor troubles solved?

MaTH716
12-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Has there ever been a league fade from memory so fast? Does anybody even care if they get their labor troubles solved?

I felt like that when the NBA was locked out, I honestly couldn't care if they ever played another NBA game ever again (and I loved the NBA during the 80's & 90's).

I miss hockey very much and hope they get this thing settled very soon.

cj
12-19-2012, 04:18 PM

A lot of people haven't come back from the last lockout.

ceejay
12-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I am a huge hockey fan. I am finding that I do not even care if they solve the lockout this year.

Striker
12-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I love hockey but won't be supporting the sport at the ticket window for a very long time. Don't see how they save this season.

Valuist
12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
I love going to a live NHL game but will not watch it at all on TV. Two strikes in 8 years? That's going to be tough for a marginal sport to overcome, at least in the US. Maybe not the case in Canada.

ceejay
12-19-2012, 05:46 PM
One upside to the lockout: I get to watch the young entry-level contract players in the AHL who would otherwise be in "the show."

HoofedInTheChest
12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
One upside to the lockout: I get to watch the young entry-level contract players in the AHL who would otherwise be in "the show."
You have some outstanding players on the Barons, i would take advantage of that while you can, minus Nugent-Hopkins for the time being, he will be busy over the holidays winning gold with the Canadian National Junior team. ;)

It's funny, i haven't had the TV on all that much because of the lock-out, it's amazing how lousy TV is without hockey on. I feel they are hurting the game south of the border, the game was on thin ice in the southern U.S. to start with, and they just made it that much worse. As far as the great white north goes, a lot of people are upset by it, but i really don't see anybody walking away when they resume.

Personally i am for the players, i hope they hold out till they get what they wan't, but that's an argument for another day.

A lot of the fans in Canada have put it on the back-burner with what the Jays have being doing over the last few weeks, everyone up here has a hard-on for next season, April can't come soon enough!

ldiatone
12-19-2012, 08:25 PM
i miss hockey, i like hockey and i really hope it will have a season. and if they don't play till next year... i'll still watch and follow.
(i'll watch the pens over the steelers :eek: )

Tom
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
I never came back from the Baseball strike.

MutuelClerk
12-20-2012, 12:21 AM
It's my favorite sport. I miss it. But i'm pretty angry. My hometown team is not my favorite team. I will not be ordering the NHL Center Ice package. I'll watch NBC sports ( versus). No more road trips to see my favorite team either.

maclr11
12-20-2012, 03:13 AM
It's a bigger newsmaker in Canada then the Presidental election, or anything else in the second half of 2012.
It's a huge deal up here, and coming from Winnipeg where we just got a team, people are a little understanding but its frustrating, TSN is hockey for 25 mins of a 60 min show, split now between World Juniors and the lockout.

notoutofpounds
12-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I hope that this lockout never ends just for the comedy value that the local squad has provided. The local sportsradio station starts their broadcast day with some grim pronouncement about how today is Day 96 or whatever of the lockout and no meetings are scheduled.

The local goalie found work but apparently cannot stop a beach ball in two different European leagues.

The team player rep gets plenty of airtime frowning and attending meetings with the Fehr brothers.

The high water mark is now the hot shot young forward Kane waving bundles of cash around Las Vegas.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2012-13 Winnipeg Jets :lol:

Jay Trotter
12-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2012-13 Winnipeg Jets :lol:Don't be hatin' on my Jets!

http://troll.me/images/victory-baby/bright-eyes-dont-make-me-hurt-you.jpg

johnhannibalsmith
12-20-2012, 11:43 PM
I hope that this lockout never ends just for the comedy value that the local squad has provided. The local sportsradio station starts their broadcast day with some grim pronouncement about how today is Day 96 or whatever of the lockout and no meetings are scheduled.

The local goalie found work but apparently cannot stop a beach ball in two different European leagues.

The team player rep gets plenty of airtime frowning and attending meetings with the Fehr brothers.

The high water mark is now the hot shot young forward Kane waving bundles of cash around Las Vegas.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2012-13 Winnipeg Jets :lol:

That was just the right amount of vivid to feel the fun from here.

ceejay
12-21-2012, 12:14 PM
You have some outstanding players on the Barons, i would take advantage of that while you can
not to mention a kid named Eberle (http://www.okcbarons.com/index.cfm?fa=inthenews&ra=showarticle&guid=22A09F49-17CC-4E8C-846C-13714B0B2519)

One of the biggest surprises is a player named Justin Schulz. Although I usually have trouble rooting for any hockey player named Schultz, Justin Schulz is having a great season. He is a defenseman, signed as a free agent (4-year college rule?) who is 14-24-38 with a +13 after 26 games.

Greyfox
12-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Donald Fehr is the same guy who killed the World Series in Baseball in 1995 and in some areas baseball has never recovered.
The players chose him to represent them.
He's about to kill the Stanley Cup.
I expect hockey will have a hard time recovering interest if this season is cancelled.

Gary Bettman represents the second coming of Napoleon. He represents the NHL owners.
He ended up cancelling the 2004-2005 series in a labour dispute.

With these two negotiators, neither of whom have likely strapped on a pair of skates, butting heads, it will be a surprise if this season and maybe part of next aren't burned.

These guys are killing the Goose that lays the Golden eggs.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care, and even if they settle the dispute fans should boycott the first game back to show their displeasure.
(Of course in many venues "Average Joe's" can't afford tickets.
Big corporations buy them and give them out to customers and employees.
Perhaps if big companies cancel their purchase of these tickets, a message might be sent to the NHL and NHLPA.
In my mind, most pro athletes at the top levels are being over paid.)

ceejay
12-21-2012, 01:49 PM
fans should boycott the first game back to show their displeasure.
The 1st game back? That'll show displeasure. NOT.

How about 2 days of boycott (1 day for the owners and one day for players) for every day of lockout?

Greyfox
12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
The 1st game back? That'll show displeasure. NOT.

How about 2 days of boycott (1 day for the owners and one day for players) for every day of lockout?

Fine by me - just 2 days. :ThmbUp:

For every day of lockout? Unrealistic and won't happen.

ceejay
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
New-ish NHL CBA Proposal (http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012/12/28/3812016/nhl-lockout-cba-proposal-60-million-cap-amnesty)

Greyfox
01-06-2013, 09:29 AM
The lockout is over....hopefully.

Last night the NHL and players agreed to terms of the new contract agreement.

HoofedInTheChest
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Great news indeed!

On a sidenote... as much as it pains me to say it, congratulations goes out to the U.S. national junior team for winning Gold at the World Championships.

cj
01-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Great news indeed!

On a sidenote... as much as it pains me to say it, congratulations goes out to the U.S. national junior team for winning Gold at the World Championships.

Great for the US!

As for hockey, what fan would pay to go to games this year? I know I won't.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I only used to go to local restaurants so I could see the game on TV, and only when the Blackhawks were in the playoffs. Not sure I even want to bother doing that this year.

HoofedInTheChest
01-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Great for the US!

I wasn't aware that Oklahoma had an NHL team. And shouldn't you be watching your Thunder destroy our Raptors right now?

ceejay
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
For that matter, what fan would pay for the NHL Center Ice Package? I doubt that I will. As a sign of goodwill, the league should get together with the providers and give the so-called season to the fans at no charge. But, that is less likely than the $230 horse at A yesterday.

OTM Al
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Donald Fehr is the same guy who killed the World Series in Baseball in 1995 and in some areas baseball has never recovered.
The players chose him to represent them.
He's about to kill the Stanley Cup.
I expect hockey will have a hard time recovering interest if this season is cancelled.

Gary Bettman represents the second coming of Napoleon. He represents the NHL owners.
He ended up cancelling the 2004-2005 series in a labour dispute.

With these two negotiators, neither of whom have likely strapped on a pair of skates, butting heads, it will be a surprise if this season and maybe part of next aren't burned.

These guys are killing the Goose that lays the Golden eggs.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care, and even if they settle the dispute fans should boycott the first game back to show their displeasure.
(Of course in many venues "Average Joe's" can't afford tickets.
Big corporations buy them and give them out to customers and employees.
Perhaps if big companies cancel their purchase of these tickets, a message might be sent to the NHL and NHLPA.
In my mind, most pro athletes at the top levels are being over paid.)

Donald Fehr helped craft an agreement in 1995 that has now going on 18 years of labor peace in the MLB with no end in site. None of the other major sports have anything nearly that stable. Hopefully he has helped craft something similar in the NHL. Ownership screwed up badly, but hopefully all settled. I'm excited about the Islanders coming to Brooklyn in 2015. May have to become a fan.

cj
01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I wasn't aware that Oklahoma had an NHL team. And shouldn't you be watching your Thunder destroy our Raptors right now?

We have the Barons, and it is a short trip to Dallas. I always go see the Caps when they are there, although they didn't play them last year due to the new asinine schedule where all teams don't play each other at least twice.

And of course I was watching the Thunder!

Striker
01-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I only used to go to local restaurants so I could see the game on TV, and only when the Blackhawks were in the playoffs. Not sure I even want to bother doing that this year.
Plus the Blackhawks prices for tickets have gone up substantially since their success. I went to a game last year and sat about 8 rows up from the ice at face value $180 a ticket.

Greyfox
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
We have the Barons,....!

During the lockout the Barons had several super speedy young NHL young stars - and the price was right to watch them.

Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Justin Schultz, and Nugent-Hopkins (before he left and played with Team Canada's Junior squad).

The Barons will likely have a hard time doing much after those lads go back to the Edmonton Oilers.

cj
01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
During the lockout the Barons had several super speedy young NHL young stars - and the price was right to watch them.

Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Justin Schultz, and Nugent-Hopkins (before he left and played with Team Canada's Junior squad).

The Barons will likely have a hard time doing much after those lads go back to the Edmonton Oilers.

I saw them a few times.

They might struggle, but honestly, they have underachieved and the team did very well last year without them.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Plus the Blackhawks prices for tickets have gone up substantially since their success. I went to a game last year and sat about 8 rows up from the ice at face value $180 a ticket.

Holy Crap! $180 a ticket. I guess the best way for a lower-middle income schulb like me to see a game is to get a part-time job selling the popcorn in the isles. (I realized the other day that beer vendors have to be in really good physical condition to lug 2 cases of tall-boys up & down those stairs for much of the games.)

Striker
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Holy Crap! $180 a ticket. I guess the best way for a lower-middle income schulb like me to see a game is to get a part-time job selling the popcorn in the isles. (I realized the other day that beer vendors have to be in really good physical condition to lug 2 cases of tall-boys up & down those stairs for much of the games.)
It was a "prime" game and I believe to sit in the 1st row it was over $300 a ticket. One of the best things to do is to go see them on the road, or go see any Chicago sports team on the road for that matter, as tickets for all the sports teams are astronomical. I went to Columbus a couple of years ago, which has a really nice arena in Nationwide Arena, and sat 1st row for $90 a ticket and watched the Hawks take on the Blue Jackets.

Jay Trotter
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Has there ever been a league fade from memory so fast? Does anybody even care if they get their labor troubles solved? Going back to the first post in this thread -- Robert, what the "heck" do you know about hockey? I'm gonna go out on a limb, and I have no facts to base this on, but I'm gonna guess "absolutely nothing"! My point is, why would you start this thread? I'm not sayin' the thread didn't need starting but my first thought was "what the hell does Robert know about hockey"?

Sorry if I'm off target but that was my thought process....

Greyfox
01-06-2013, 11:21 PM
I saw them a few times.

They might struggle, but honestly, they have underachieved and the team did very well last year without them.

Really? The players I mentioned?

Underachieved?

In American Hockey League scoring standings to date:

1. Jordan Eberle 25 Goals 26 Assists

2. Justin Schultz 18 Goals 30 Assists

6. Taylor Hall 14 Goals 20 Assists

How in the world could you call 3 of the top 6 players in the entire A.H.L. in scoring as struggling or underachieving?

Maybe the team is struggling or underachieving, but those players were not.

cj
01-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Really? The players I mentioned?

Underachieved?

In American Hockey League scoring standings to date:

1. Jordan Eberle 25 Goals 26 Assists

2. Justin Schultz 18 Goals 30 Assists

6. Taylor Hall 14 Goals 20 Assists

How in the world could you call 3 of the top 6 players in the entire A.H.L. in scoring as struggling or underachieving?

Maybe the team is struggling or underachieving, but those players were not.

The team, not the players.

Greyfox
01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
The team, not the players.

Okay.

I misunderstood your comment:

"They might struggle, but honestly, they have underachieved and the team did very well last year without them."

The"they" above has to refer to the Barons, but as you worded it I didn't take it that way at first reading.

cj
01-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Okay.

I misunderstood your comment:

"They might struggle, but honestly, they have underachieved and the team did very well last year without them."

The"they" above has to refer to the Barons, but as you worded it I didn't take it that way at first reading.

Yes, no worries, could have been written better.

ceejay
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm excited about the Islanders coming to Brooklyn in 2015. May have to become a fan.
Al,

You might check out:
http://www.islandermania.com/

OTM Al
01-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Al,

You might check out:
http://www.islandermania.com/

Not sure I'm ready for that level just yet....Spend enough time here as it is.

Went and saw them at the Nassau Collesium last year or maybe it was the year before, memories blur. Playing Tampa who clearly outclassed them. Despite the fact that it might be the worst professional sport venue out there, it was still fun. Grew up in Indiana, so never saw the sport when I was young, but really was getting into it last year. Don't know or understand a lot yet, so it will be a bit of an adventure.

ceejay
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Back in the day, the Colosseum rocked. But, that was a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away). May 24, 1980 at 7:11 of overtime was seismic. (Even louder than a Thunder playoff game)

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Went and saw them at the Nassau Collesium last year or maybe it was the year before, memories blur. Playing Tampa who clearly outclassed them. Despite the fact that it might be the worst professional sport venue out there, it was still fun. Grew up in Indiana, so never saw the sport when I was young, but really was getting into it last year. Don't know or understand a lot yet, so it will be a bit of an adventure.
I would pay special attention to the Rangers this year, i was really looking forward to this season because of the acquisition of one of my favorite players, Rick Nash. I think he will be the key piece to put them over the top this year, although he banged up his shoulder in the Swiss league, from what i understand he is good to go. He put up big numbers on a crappy team (Columbus) with mediocre linemates, i hate to see what he could do with the top line in New York, time will tell, let's hope he stays healthy.

As for my Leafs, they do have a history of playing well early so the shortened season might play to their advantage. But to be honest they are too soft to compete in the playoffs, especially with weak goaltending, mediocre defence, and a bunch of cupcakes up front. The one positive is they have cap space to upgrade, but i still think they are 5 years away from making a good run at it, that's if Burke doesn't botch things up anymore then he already has (Tyler Seguin) your welcome Boston. :rolleyes:

My pick for the shortened 2013 Season.... New York Rangers

ceejay
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
My pick for the shortened 2013 Season.... New York Rangers
I don't think you understand. THE RANGERS SUCK! :lol:

Seriously, though, any ideas for fantasy sleepers? I reckon that rookies may not "hit the wall" like they usually do late-season.

I might try to select Justin Schultz on my team, although coming straight from college he has a fair amount of risk. If I get him, and he performs the 1st few weeks, he might make good trade bait.…

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't think you understand. THE RANGERS SUCK! :lol:

Seriously, though, any ideas for fantasy sleepers? I reckon that rookies may not "hit the wall" like they usually do late-season.

I might try to select Justin Schultz on my team, although coming straight from college he has a fair amount of risk. If I get him, and he performs the 1st few weeks, he might make good trade bait.…
I would have to give it some thought, i pretty much gave up on the season and i have to get back into hockey mode, i will get back to you on that.

I would avoid Russian players in the pools, they have no heart when it counts. The young guns in the last few years have been a little soft for my liking, and are prone to injuries, (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov blows!)

You can never go wrong with Canadians, and for that matter the U.S. developmental program is really hitting it's stride, they are giving the Canadian system a run for it's money. I tend to stick with strong North American talent, you wan't to use big, durable, fit players that can endure the punishment, but they have to be gifted as well.

I would first handicap the teams you think will be there in the end, then go through those teams and find players that can compete with the men.

Jay Trotter
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
... but i still think they are 5 years away from making a good run at it... Aren't they always just 5 years away from a playoff run? :lol: Well, at least since 1967 anyway, eh!

Go Jets Go!

ceejay
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I would have to give it some thought, i pretty much gave up on the season and i have to get back into hockey mode, i will get back to you on that.

I would avoid Russian players in the pools, they have no heart when it counts. The young guns in the last few years have been a little soft for my liking, and are prone to injuries, (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov blows!)

You can never go wrong with Canadians, and for that matter the U.S. developmental program is really hitting it's stride, they are giving the Canadian system a run for it's money. I tend to stick with strong North American talent, you wan't to use big, durable, fit players that can endure the punishment, but they have to be gifted as well.

I would first handicap the teams you think will be there in the end, then go through those teams and find players that can compete with the men.
I am a top-down fantasy player. It led me to 2 consecutive Presidents trophies in my league. The league is scored rather goaltender-heavy. My Western Conference trio of Quick, Smith & Luongo led the way last year. By the end of the season I was benching Luongo – I wouldn't have thought that would happen! (But, like the Russians often do, I flopped in the playoffs.)

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Aren't they always just 5 years away from a playoff run? :lol: Well, at least since 1967 anyway, eh!

Go Jets Go!
Good Burn!

So true though, i guy can dream can't he?

ldiatone
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
keep an eye on the WILD. signed the 2 top free agents for a ton of money
parise and sutter. carolina might be suprise also as the two stall brothers are togather. pha still might have goal keeper problems. caps hope that #8 gets going again. like the pens with 2 of the best players and the talk is crosby is in the best shape ever. put on some upper body strenth. goalie and def a ?.
obtw arn't the jets a football team :rolleyes:
but i like the 48 game preseason games going into the playoffs :eek:

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I am a top-down fantasy player. It led me to 2 consecutive Presidents trophies in my league. The league is scored rather goaltender-heavy. My Western Conference trio of Quick, Smith & Luongo led the way last year. By the end of the season I was benching Luongo – I wouldn't have thought that would happen! (But, like the Russians often do, I flopped in the playoffs.)
Speaking of Luongo, it looks like he is heading to Toronto, god help us.

There were two players in the junior tournament that really caught my eye, Alex Galchenyuk, the Belarusian-American who suited up for the U.S. Whether he cracks the Montreal Canadiens lineup or not, i see a bright future in this kid. His skating still needs work but his offensive skills are ungodly.

John Gibson, the goalie for the U.S., drafted by Anaheim, this kid will be really something special one day.

Dougie Hamilton and Jonathan Huberdeau from Team Canada are a couple of blue chip prospects that should have big careers in the NHL.

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Hockey.....c'mon now :D

Used to be a big fan back in the mid 80's to mid 90's.
The Calgary Flames were my team (guess they still are)...

Lanny Klaus
Hakan Loob (my favorite player)
Al Macinnis
Joel Otto (from Bemidji State!)
Joey Mullen
Gary Suter
Brett Hull
Colin Patterson
Jim Peplinski
and any number of guys with the last name of Hunter

never forget Willie Plett - my favorite tough guy ever - even has a name that screams "goon"....like Marty McSorley or Ed Hospodar

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Phantom

You forgot Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk and Theo Fleury.

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Phantom

You forgot Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk and Theo Fleury.
the Rink Rat !

been a long time...no excuse for missing Nieuwendyk and Fleury though :blush:

jdhanover
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM

I've been a fan since the day the Islanders franchise started.. suffered through the first few lousy years then the glory days of 4 Cups. And even the recent decade of dreck. Decent young core. New building will help immensely with being able to land free agents (a la the Nets in the NBA). In the off-season we can get rid of the DiPietro contract and take a run at some FA

Dedicated fan base...if they start winning it will be a ton of fun.

Jay Trotter
01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
the Rink Rat !

been a long time...no excuse for missing Nieuwendyk and Fleury though :blush:Shouldn't we be throwing Kent Nilsson into this mix too! :bang:

HoofedInTheChest
01-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Here's a good preview of all 30 teams for the 2013 season. It's a good breakdown of additions and subtractions as well prospect outlooks and team stats. Just click on a teams logo to get each preview.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79392

Stillriledup
01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Was there anyone in the free world who isnt on the Blackhawks today in LA? You ALWAYS bet against the fat and happy stanley cup team, esp on opening day when they receive their rings and skate the cup around.

Jay Trotter
01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm going All-in on the Oilers winning the cup this year! I have a feeling.

OTM Al
01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been a fan since the day the Islanders franchise started.. suffered through the first few lousy years then the glory days of 4 Cups. And even the recent decade of dreck. Decent young core. New building will help immensely with being able to land free agents (a la the Nets in the NBA). In the off-season we can get rid of the DiPietro contract and take a run at some FA

Dedicated fan base...if they start winning it will be a ton of fun.

All set to watch tonight. Got tickets to go see them play the Panthers in March as well. Unfortunately we can only get out on the Island on Sundays and they only have a couple home Sundays in the short season. Should still be fun though.

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2013, 06:28 PM
What the what?

they have no experience in the play-offs, they will be lucky enough to get in let alone make it through 2 rounds. The future is bright for them, but not this year.

By the way..... what was the score in the Jets game today?

It looks like Alex Galchenyuk cracked the Habs lineup, i don't know if they plan on keeping him for more than 5 games, but if they do, i highly recommend using this kid in your pool ceejay.

notoutofpounds
01-19-2013, 10:44 PM

I am pushing the BOOOOOO! button.

You are all-in with the franchise whose hobby was breaking the hearts of every Winnipeg Jets fan almost every April ? :bang:

The franchise that ruined 1980's hockey for Jets fans by knocking out Winnipeg in 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, and 1988.

The franchise that came back from being down 3-1 in 1990 and still beat Winnipeg 4-3 in the cruelest series of all the Jets vs. Oilers playoffs ?

Got enough number one picks in Edmonton yet ? They collect first overall picks the way they used to collect Stanley Cups. :D They have missed the playoffs the last :6: years, I think they will go for :7:

I am glad that it is just Conference play only this year, no visits from or trips to Edmonton. :D

I hope Winnipeg never leaves the Southeast Division as this minimizes the number of games with Edmonton. I could care less that the Jets have to travel further. Those poor players will just have to deal with all that extra time in Florida. It bothers the Southeast teams just as much having to travel here.

And what about.......oh sorry, got to go. I have to spend some quality time with my high maintenance fake online girlfriend that I may or may not have met. :D

Jay Trotter
01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I am pushing the BOOOOOO! button.Now, don't get me wrong...I'm all about the Jets and have been going to their games since 1972 but I'm just sayin' maybe we could have the Gretzky/Messier/Coffey/Anderson/Kurri/Fuhr scenario redux. These guys are too young to know they "aren't supposed to win". Just sayin!

dnlgfnk
01-21-2013, 09:20 PM
"These guys are too young to know they 'aren't supposed to win'. Just sayin!"

Just like my Blues.

Jay Trotter
01-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Just like my Blues.Go Blues. My son is the same age as Alexander Steen and played against him throughout his youth. He was a top flight player from the get go.

ceejay
01-25-2013, 01:08 PM
The Blues are looking good early on. Ditto for Chicago. Blues are giving up less than 20 shots/game – that makes goaltending much easier. Dallas may be a contender also.

With the short season slow starters (like the Capitals) could be completely out of contention early. I would also be concerned if I were a Red Wings or Flyers fan.

But, maybe the best news is that my Islanders started out 2-1-0 :jump: :jump:

OTM Al
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
But, maybe the best news is that my Islanders started out 2-1-0 :jump: :jump:

Was shocked when I saw that final. Bought a futures cup bet on the Devils at 17/2. Seemed to be the best price on the board.

elysiantraveller
01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Go Blues. My son is the same age as Alexander Steen and played against him throughout his youth. He was a top flight player from the get go.

Blues look for real this season. Solid in all aspects of the game.

Jay Trotter
01-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Blues look for real this season. Solid in all aspects of the game.I have to admit that the Blues are flying below my radar but everything I hear points to good things. :ThmbUp:

cj
01-27-2013, 02:05 AM
I'm going to be in Maryland this week and thought about going to see the Caps, then I remembered we already have AHL hockey in OKC!

Stillriledup
01-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Blues look for real this season. Solid in all aspects of the game.

The Blues are establishing themselves the right way, thru solid drafting and whatnut. They were bad for a while so they have a bunch of top picks, they're heading in the right direction.

The amazing thing about that team is they dont give you much room, they really play a lot of 1 on 1 defense and their defenders are right in your face, gotta love their effort and style.

ceejay
01-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Question for the guys from Winnipeg. I watched part the islanders-Jets. Every time Taveras had the puck he was booed. Is there some bad blood and or is it just that he is the best player of the opponent?

notoutofpounds
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Question for the guys from Winnipeg. I watched part the islanders-Jets. Every time Taveras had the puck he was booed. Is there some bad blood and or is it just that he is the best player of the opponent?

Hey ceejay. The crowd at Winnipeg Jets home games started booing the other team's best player last season. Tavares is the best Islander and so he heard it from the locals.

For the cream of the crop they take it over the top with chants. For Sidney Crosby, they serenaded him with "Mario's Pool Boy." :D

For Alex Ovechkin, they yelled "Crosby's Better" whenever he hit the ice in Winnipeg last year.

Pretty exciting game last night, the Islanders always give us a good game. :ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Question for the guys from Winnipeg. I watched part the islanders-Jets. Every time Taveras had the puck he was booed. Is there some bad blood and or is it just that he is the best player of the opponent?ceejay, just to follow up on what notoutofpounds said -- the crowd basically selects one player from the other team each game (not necessarily the best player but someone who may have done something in the past or whatever) and rides the hell out of them.

If you get a chance down the road watch the national anthem too -- the crowd shouts "True North" when that line comes up in the song. True North is the name of the group that owns the Jets.

I'm sure you've heard word that the atmosphere at the Jet games is tops, bar none. Good stuff.:ThmbUp:

cj
02-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Somebody will have to explain to me how Matt Cooke didn't get a lllloooonnnngggg suspension for what he did with skate, taking out Erik Karlsson, one of the best players in the game.

The guy is going to miss a year because of a ridiculously careless play by Cooke that wound up slicing a tendon with his skate. It isn't like Cooke has been a choir boy, FAR from it, and this was bad. Even if there was no intent, which is probable, it was inexcusable in my opinion.

ldiatone
02-14-2013, 08:16 PM
the NHL Brendon Shannahan, viewed the replay and decided it was a hockey play.
called a "pin" after a check. Shannahan didn't even call cook up to get his side of the story. Yes out for the year w/ a 70% tear of the achilles.
also no penalty was called on the ice either.
this did happn 3 years ago when the pens played the candians and pk subban cut jordan stall on the top of the foot. stall played after a week and missed 3 playoff games. it was the 09-10 2 round of the playoffs as pens lost 4-3.

Jay Trotter
02-14-2013, 08:30 PM
That looked purely unintentional to me. He certainly didn't do it on purpose and I don't know if you could put in a rule making a player responsible for his skate the way they do for the stick.

Sometimes bad stuff happens. Unfortunately, it happened to one of the top players in the game.

Greyfox
02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
That type of body contact happens every week in hockey. Intent to injure was not likely.

cj
02-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Just seemed to me the guy should have control of his skate if nothing else, especially on that play. Why was it off the ice?

I certainly wasn't talking about any body contact.

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 01:39 AM
It was a freak injury that was unintentional as they made body contact off balance sliding to the boards.
Injuries with skates happen every year, sometimes to the face and neck.

5J63qxwekH4

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 01:54 AM
It was a freak injury that was unintentional as they made body contact off balance sliding to the boards.
Injuries with skates happen every year, sometimes to the face and neck.

5J63qxwekH4

The incident happened at higher speed than shown in the video above.

EyfTzunzrUk&feature=endscreen

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 11:29 AM
A few NHL hockey players are now wearing Kevlar hockey socks which are resistant to cuts and prevent achilles injuries.

Invented in Europe, they are marketed in North America as Hogan Hockey Socks.

The socks are 50% Kevlar, 32% Polyester, 10% Cotton, and 8% Spandex.

XgagOXG17ws

notoutofpounds
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
The only thing that makes this a typical hockey play is the lack of NHL discipline after a very good player was injured by the dangerous actions of a marginal player.

If this truly is a typical play, then both teams would be down to goalies by the end of each game, all other skaters out with various leg injuries.

The obvious lack of control of the skate is the issue here. Matt Cooke's poorly executed and dangerously delivered "pin" with his skate way off the ice severed Erik Karlsson's Achilles tendon. He might as well skate around the ice swinging his stick wildly in one hand, it would demonstrate a similar lack of control and respect for his opponent.

This is the same league that had the huge concussion mystery last season. Perhaps its the bare knuckle fistfights and headshots it routinely condones. :bang:

The NHL is somewhere around the WWE when it comes to protecting its players/performers.

cj
02-16-2013, 09:02 PM
The only thing that makes this a typical hockey play is the lack of NHL discipline after a very good player was injured by the dangerous actions of a marginal player.

If this truly is a typical play, then both teams would be down to goalies by the end of each game, all other skaters out with various leg injuries.

The obvious lack of control of the skate is the issue here. Matt Cooke's poorly executed and dangerously delivered "pin" with his skate way off the ice severed Erik Karlsson's Achilles tendon. He might as well skate around the ice swinging his stick wildly in one hand, it would demonstrate a similar lack of control and respect for his opponent.

This is the same league that had the huge concussion mystery last season. Perhaps its the bare knuckle fistfights and headshots it routinely condones. :bang:

The NHL is somewhere around the WWE when it comes to protecting its players/performers.

This was kind of my thinking too.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Okay, I've been following the team lately. Listened on the radio tonight and some other times. Caught a period or two at a bar I was at. I'll admit it - this years team and great start has me excited again. I'm frugal, but excited for them. Gotta enjoy this great start while it lasts! Start the playoffs!

Striker
03-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Okay, I've been following the team lately. Listened on the radio tonight and some other times. Caught a period or two at a bar I was at. I'll admit it - this years team and great start has me excited again. I'm frugal, but excited for them. Gotta enjoy this great start while it lasts! Start the playoffs!
Wiedeman and Murray are great on the radio. Streak is at 24 and even though I want to see the streak never end, I have a feeling it ends in their next game on friday against the Avalanche.

dnlgfnk
03-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Enjoy the run, Hawk fans.
Of the last 9 Stanley Cup winners, 1 had the best overall record (2007-8 Red Wings).

wisconsin
03-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Enjoy the run, Hawk fans.
Of the last 9 Stanley Cup winners, 1 had the best overall record (2007-8 Red Wings).

What's your point? There is so much parity in the league right now, but this team is very good and very deep, too many weapons. What have you seen that makes you think a team can beat them in a 7 game series?

elysiantraveller
03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
What's your point? There is so much parity in the league right now, but this team is very good and very deep, too many weapons. What have you seen that makes you think a team can beat them in a 7 game series?

They are very good.

The streak should have ended on Sunday and I'm still bitter about that but what they are doing is incredible. The average person just doesn't understand the amount of work, will-power, talent, and sheer luck that goes into something like that...

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Generally, winning the President's Trophy will burn out a hockey club, and in a 82 game season i would agree with dnlgfnk, but we are dealing with a 48 game season this year. What the Black Hawk's have accomplished so far is pretty remarkable, but i have a few issues with handing them the cup at this point.

Goaltending would be my first concern, Emery is playing on a re-constructed hip, and i question his mobility, hence the reason why they have been using a tandem up to this point. History has shown that a tandem does not work in the play-offs, and usually a team will put the brunt of the workload on one keeper, are you that confident in Crawford? He is in his third NHL season with very little play-off experience, and the games that he has played is not encouraging, he's career play-off stats are 5 wins and 8 lossses, ouch! And we all know what 3 things wins cups...... Goaltending, Goaltending and Goaltending!

Secondly, how many games have they won by 1 goal? They have been squeeking out victories for the better part of the season, i wouldn't exactly call them the Oilers of the 80's, or the Islanders of the 70's.

Yes they are an exceptional team with lots of firepower and some of my favorite defencemen, but i would not call them a lock to take the cup this year. Regular season hockey is one thing, but it is a completely different game come play-off time. Just ask the 8th seeded L.A. Kings from last year.

headhawg
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Secondly, how many games have they won by 1 goal? They have been squeeking out victories for the better part of the season, i wouldn't exactly call them the Oilers of the 80's, or the Islanders of the 70's.I would rather have a team know how to win a close game than not. You look at that as a minus; I see it as a BIG plus. There's not too many blowouts in the playoffs.

Striker
03-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Goaltending would be my first concern, Emery is playing on a re-constructed hip, and i question his mobility, hence the reason why they have been using a tandem up to this point. History has shown that a tandem does not work in the play-offs, and usually a team will put the brunt of the workload on one keeper, are you that confident in Crawford? He is in his third NHL season with very little play-off experience, and the games that he has played is not encouraging, he's career play-off stats are 5 wins and 8 lossses, ouch! And we all know what 3 things wins cups...... Goaltending, Goaltending and Goaltending!

If there were issues with Emery and his hip, last year would have been the year to see that. The fact he had a contract coming into this year instead of being on a tryout basis, and having extra time to develop more strength and flexibility around the hip joint with another offseason plus the lockout, would lead most people to believe that he would improve on his season last year with a GAA of 2.81 and a .900% SV. This is exactly what has happened. Given the nature of this season, most teams are faced with playing 2 goaltenders because of playing 3 games in 4 nights and so forth. The Hawks are no different here. I agree they will have to chose 1 come playoff time, and the last 2 years in the playoffs wasn't the best for Crawford in the net but it is hard to find fault with the way both of them are playing right now in net. Like I said earlier I think they lose friday in the rematch against the Avalanche as that will be their 4th game in 6 days, and Sharp is out with a few others questionable for the game.

HoofedInTheChest
03-08-2013, 02:03 AM
If there were issues with Emery and his hip, last year would have been the year to see that. The fact he had a contract coming into this year instead of being on a tryout basis, and having extra time to develop more strength and flexibility around the hip joint with another offseason plus the lockout, would lead most people to believe that he would improve on his season last year with a GAA of 2.81 and a .900% SV. This is exactly what has happened. Given the nature of this season, most teams are faced with playing 2 goaltenders because of playing 3 games in 4 nights and so forth. The Hawks are no different here. I agree they will have to chose 1 come playoff time, and the last 2 years in the playoffs wasn't the best for Crawford in the net but it is hard to find fault with the way both of them are playing right now in net. Like I said earlier I think they lose friday in the rematch against the Avalanche as that will be their 4th game in 6 days, and Sharp is out with a few others questionable for the game.
Emery was brought in to be a back-up to Crawford, nothing more, nothing less. He has done an outstanding job this year compared to last years turbulent season, and has gained more playing time because of this. He put up good numbers in Anaheim, but why wasn't he resigned? You say that the tandem is common place in this shortened season, i strongly disagree, a team will ride the starting goalie until you have back to back games, then the back-up will play the second night. The starter will not get fatigued in this shortened season, but using a goalie two nights in a row is uncommon. Emery went from being an athletic goalie, to an "angle" goalie, because of his limited lateral movement, not to mention he has a ten cent head.

Having said that, my point was that you will see Crawford in net come play-off time, and will stay there until he gives Quenneville a reason to yank him, and you can bank on that. Crawford hasn't proven to me that he is a legitimate number 1 starter, and that should be cause for concern for Hawk's fans. Unless Quenneville is playing possum and is preserving Crawford, i find it unusual with the path they are taking, but i cant argue with the standings.

Headhawg... i have nothing against the Hawk's, they have some of Canada's golden boys on the team, i'm just a little concerned that they don't win more games in a convincing fashion. And yes, there are blowouts in the play-offs, just look up some of the scores for the L.A Kings last season. Tight games will wear out a team in the play-offs, you can only play nail biters so many times before the tank is empty, constantly going to overtime will kill a hockey club.

I think this year will be wide open, and a number of teams can walk away with the big prize, except the Habs! lol

wisconsin
03-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Crawford is constantly on the improve, and has had a coupe of injuries this year already. Unless you have seen every game, you can't understand how much more confident he looks.

The Hawks out shoot their opponents almost every time, and they have given up 10 fewer goals than anyone else while scoring more than just two teams, who both, by the way, have porous defense and mediocre goaltending. (Pitt and Tampa).

The mere fact that they are actually in every game says it all. It's all about the chemistry. Stan Bowman glued this team together during the off season, instead of trying to tinker. What more do you want?

dnlgfnk
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Like I cited, I've "seen" history. There are too many variables to look at the playoffs as anything but a tournament, in many ways irrelevant to the regular season. One unfortunate pairing with a team that matches up very well, for whatever reason, against them could doom the Hawks in the first round.

No team was a stronger favorite then the #1 seed 2005-6 Red Wings(most points [124] in the time frame I mentioned- 9 yrs.) vs. #8 Edmonton in the first round, and they were bounced in 6 games.

The Hawks have the 13th ranked power play. Isn't it plausible that in a penalty-filled series, a hot power play opponent (perhaps my 2nd ranked PP Blues get McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko back, and ride rookie Jake Alllen or a return-to- form Halak) manages to win in a high scoring series?

wisconsin
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Like I cited, I've "seen" history. There are too many variables to look at the playoffs as anything but a tournament, in many ways irrelevant to the regular season. One unfortunate pairing with a team that matches up very well, for whatever reason, against them could doom the Hawks in the first round.

No team was a stronger favorite then the #1 seed 2005-6 Red Wings(most points [124] in the time frame I mentioned- 9 yrs.) vs. #8 Edmonton in the first round, and they were bounced in 6 games.

The Hawks have the 13th ranked power play. Isn't it plausible that in a penalty-filled series, a hot power play opponent (perhaps my 2nd ranked PP Blues get McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko back, and ride rookie Jake Alllen or a return-to- form Halak) manages to win in a high scoring series?

Plausible,yes, but likely, no. Sorry. The ONLY reason the Hawks are on this streak, which by the way, includes 9 games in 14 days, is because of the defensive play. Clicking on all 3 lines defensively will not allow games to get out of hand, which is why the Hawks are able to hang around until they score what they need to score in order to win.

You can love your team to death, but this team is for real. They have a 10 point lead. They have run away form the field. Before you worry about eliminating the Hawks, you better make the field first because your Blues are in a serious bottleneck with NO margin for error.

Striker
03-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Emery was brought in to be a back-up to Crawford, nothing more, nothing less. He has done an outstanding job this year compared to last years turbulent season, and has gained more playing time because of this. He put up good numbers in Anaheim, but why wasn't he resigned? You say that the tandem is common place in this shortened season, i strongly disagree, a team will ride the starting goalie until you have back to back games, then the back-up will play the second night. The starter will not get fatigued in this shortened season, but using a goalie two nights in a row is uncommon. Emery went from being an athletic goalie, to an "angle" goalie, because of his limited lateral movement, not to mention he has a ten cent head.

Having said that, my point was that you will see Crawford in net come play-off time, and will stay there until he gives Quenneville a reason to yank him, and you can bank on that. Crawford hasn't proven to me that he is a legitimate number 1 starter, and that should be cause for concern for Hawk's fans. Unless Quenneville is playing possum and is preserving Crawford, i find it unusual with the path they are taking, but i cant argue with the standings.

Emery wasn't resigned in Anaheim because of his hip like you said, and last year he proved to everyone that he could play well and be a solid backup goaltender. It is common sense with this condensed season that every NHL team will need 2 solid choices at goalie to have a good season. I agree with what you have said about riding your #1 until B2B games come up in the schedule. But this season is totally diffferent with 48 games crammed into 3 months, that's on average almost a game every other day, whereas in a normal season, teams are playing about every 2.25 days on average. When you have 4 games in 6 days, or 7 games in 12 days like some teams played in the start of the season, you need to use 2 goalies. Come playoff time, I agree that Crawford will be in the net every night unless his play heads in a downward spiral.

notoutofpounds
03-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I am running out to buy a two game parlay ticket Winnipeg Jets (-1/2) and Anaheim Ducks (-1/2). Winnipeg seems to have recovered from not being in sub-zero Arctic conditions and Anaheim is 9-1 at the Pond. Fill your boots if you play this.

This Chicago streak has been something else and Colorado, Edmonton and Columbus are next.

notoutofpounds
03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Captain Andrew Ladd has scored for Winnipeg, Panthers are done, Florida is 1-10-3 after not scoring the first goal of a game.

notoutofpounds
03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
First game is good.

wisconsin
03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
6 games in 9 days and a mile in the air = looking like this Hawks team is out of gas tonight.

It's ok though, Philly was blown out in game 36. Helluva run.

Regroup and recover.

HoofedInTheChest
03-09-2013, 12:23 AM
That's a bummer, i didn't think it would be tonight.

It was a hell of a run, the boys should be proud of themselves. :ThmbUp:

notoutofpounds
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I have a feeling it ends in their next game on friday against the Avalanche.

Hey Striker, great work calling the turn on this Chicago streak :ThmbUp:

Striker
03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey Striker, great work calling the turn on this Chicago streak :ThmbUp:
Thx, but it was quite easy as this was a terribly bad spot for them on the schedule against a team that can skate with them.

headhawg
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Well, home cooking hasn't helped the 'Hawks. Four goals in the 1st by the Oilers. Chicago is pathetic. Awful goaltending, sluggish skating, and way too many turnovers. The loss at Colorado was predictable, but to give this kind of effort -- and I mean total lack of effort -- is inexcusable. I would be asking for a refund if I was at the UC.

Jay Trotter
03-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm going All-in on the Oilers winning the cup this year! I have a feeling.Going back to this post -- man, was I wrong! I can't believe the Oilers are still not able to compete with all the talent they have. Good thing it was just my ego that was "all-in" and not my wallet.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Streak is at 24 and even though I want to see the streak never end, I have a feeling it ends in their next game on friday against the Avalanche.

Great call Striker. Great streaks where the team and everything falls into place aren't meant to last forever. Great call on when it would finally fall. Looks like that difference is continuing. And as someone else pointed out before, the team with the best record hasn't been winning the Stanley Cup lately. So I sure hope the Blackhawks didn't peak too soon and end up off-form come playoff time. Maybe they've worn down, or the other teams, with no pre-season games, have caught up, or likely, both.

HoofedInTheChest
03-11-2013, 06:06 AM
Going back to this post -- man, was I wrong! I can't believe the Oilers are still not able to compete with all the talent they have. Good thing it was just my ego that was "all-in" and not my wallet.
Very good thing! :lol:
Looks like i will be making my way out to the Peg this summer, do they serve lobster at the track?

That's what happens when you load up on snipers and forget about your back end. They need some defenders in a big way, the Leafs have a couple that have been sitting in the press box for the last 3 weeks.

It looks like we have a home and home this week with the Buds and Jets, i hope your boys have stocked up on tinfoil. Ol time hockey Reg?

http://media.thespec.com/images/ca/a6/c3d9f4d64b9c8a388e17fd472de1.jpg

Jay Trotter
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
It looks like we have a home and home this week with the Buds and Jets, i hope your boys have stocked up on tinfoil. Ol time hockey Reg?You guys aren't already planning your parade route are you? Bad form!!! :rolleyes:

HoofedInTheChest
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
You guys aren't already planning your parade route are you? Bad form!!! :rolleyes:
Not a chance, they still need to fix what Burke has done to this team. Carlyle has righted the ship but they are still full of holes.

Just bustin your balls Trotter.

Jay Trotter
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Not a chance, they still need to fix what Burke has done to this team. Carlyle has righted the ship but they are still full of holes.

Just bustin your balls Trotter.Speaking of Carlyle, it really sucks that he is with the Leafs. How am I supposed to "hate" them when they have such a great guy like Randy Carlyle at the helm!!! Probably the first really outstanding thing they've done in years bringing him on board.

The last guy with the Leafs I truly ever cheered for was Sittler. Gilmore -- hate 'em!

johnhannibalsmith
03-11-2013, 06:04 PM
...The last guy with the Leafs I truly ever cheered for was ...

http://www.hockeyjerseysforyou.com/northeast%20division/toronto/Domi%20TML/photo%202.jpg

Don't deny it!!!!!!!

:D

Jay Trotter
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't deny it!!!!!!!

:DDoesn't really count as Domi was a Jet first!:ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Doesn't really count as Domi was a Jet first!:ThmbUp:

Tee-hee, I knew I had ya on a technicality there. :D

:ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
03-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Speaking of Carlyle, it really sucks that he is with the Leafs. How am I supposed to "hate" them when they have such a great guy like Randy Carlyle at the helm!!! Probably the first really outstanding thing they've done in years bringing him on board.

The last guy with the Leafs I truly ever cheered for was Sittler. Gilmore -- hate 'em!
I couldn't agree more, love the system Carlyle has instilled on the boys, teams have to pay a big price if they want to walk away with a win. I'm sure Malkin and Crosby were happy to get out of Toronto after last Saturday nights game.

On a side note, i herd they are bringing in Dale Hawerchuck and Keith Tkachuck to drive the Zamboni's at the ACC. ;)

Jay Trotter
03-12-2013, 09:10 AM
On a side note, i herd they are bringing in Dale Hawerchuck and Keith Tkachuck to drive the Zamboni's at the ACC. ;)Tkachuk, probably the least likeable player to ever play for the Jets. As selfish an individual who ever laced up the blades. Hawerchuk, the exact opposite.

ldiatone
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
watch kaspars daugavins last nite in a "shootout" vrs bruins.
ps phil bourque(Penguins D-man in the 90's) did this vrs NTR back then :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5u5W0EOE8k

woodtoo
03-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Pretty slick move.

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow... anyone that's played knows it's tough enough to control a puck with the tip of the blade atop the puck just moving forward - but how he was able to maintain control like that during the spin-o-rama - you gotta be a strong sumvabitch to keep enough pressure and still move it as though it was an ordinary stickhandle... wow again...

Jay Trotter
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
It's not that tough with nice clean ice. Probably a bit tougher in overtime when the ice is a choppy. Likely not a high percentage play other than catching the goalie totally off gaurd because all he has to do is take away the bottom of the net.

It would have been interesting if he had pushed Rask's pad backwards and have the puck cross the line that way. Then we would likely see some new rules come into place.

Most comments I've seen are that it was entertaining and that is what the shootout is supposed to be about.

Jay Trotter
03-12-2013, 06:21 PM
THE MAPLE BUDS & HOOFEDINTHECHEST
ARE GOING DOWN TONIGHT!

http://www.habsnews.ca/images/toronto-maple-funny-2-slide.jpg

GO JETS GO!

johnhannibalsmith
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
It's not that tough with nice clean ice. ...

I never had hands like Mario Lemieux (or even Alain Lemieux) or anything, but dangit, that's one of those things you're always doing in practice - trying to dangle it around with the tip of the blade and I'll tell you what - I was lucky if I could keep enough downward pressure in the right spot to make three laps around the rink without losing it eventually... :D I can't imagine trying to pull a Savard... it would have been in the corner to the right of Rask before he saw my number...

ldiatone
03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
watch kaspars daugavins last nite in a "shootout" vrs bruins.
ps phil bourque(Penguins D-man in the 90's) did this vrs NTR back then :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5u5W0EOE8k
oops! vrs destroit. showed it on the pens- bruins game.

Jay Trotter
03-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I hear a "fat lady" singing........

notoutofpounds
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
:1: The Kaspars Daugavins shootout move was entertaining but shows how loony it is to have a skills competition to settle a game. The NBA equivalent would be a dunk contest with a player jumping over a car and dunking the ball to settle a tied game.

:2: NHL games that go to a shootout are worth a total of three points. This is a goofy rule. This would be like rewarding an MLB team for playing extra innings.

:3: Toronto Maple Leafs Cup drought is running on from 1967, and they have not even qualified for the Playoffs the last :7: years. :lol: :lol: :lol:Those fans that think Coach Kitty Carlyle is so classy might want to rethink this in light of his sending out his trouble making goons out in the last minute of their thrashing from the Winnipeg Jets.

:4: I saw highlights from the Toronto Maple Leafs last Stanley Cup run, it was on the History Channel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:5: Most European soccer leagues do not have playoffs......kind of like Toronto Maple Leafs hockey :D :D :D

ldiatone
03-13-2013, 09:49 PM
:1: The Kaspars Daugavins shootout move was entertaining but shows how loony it is to have a skills competition to settle a game. The NBA equivalent would be a dunk contest with a player jumping over a car and dunking the ball to settle a tied game.

:2: NHL games that go to a shootout are worth a total of three points. This is a goofy rule. This would be like rewarding an MLB team for playing extra innings.

:3: Toronto Maple Leafs Cup drought is running on from 1967, and they have not even qualified for the Playoffs the last :7: years. :lol: :lol: :lol:Those fans that think Coach Kitty Carlyle is so classy might want to rethink this in light of his sending out his trouble making goons out in the last minute of their thrashing from the Winnipeg Jets.

:4: I saw highlights from the Toronto Maple Leafs last Stanley Cup run, it was on the History Channel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:5: Most European soccer leagues do not have playoffs......kind of like Toronto Maple Leafs hockey :D :D :D
please explain #2, 3 points?

notoutofpounds
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Hey Idiatone. Any NHL team that loses in overtime or a shootout gets one point for their efforts. The winner of a game in overtime or shootout receives two points.

The loser of a game decided in regulation time gets zero points, and the winner receives two points.

I think it is kind of ridiculous that because a game is not decided in 60 minutes that this game is worth a combined three points for the teams involved rather than a combined total of two points. :ThmbDown:

elysiantraveller
03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
please explain #2, 3 points?

Regulation win: 2 points to the Winner 0 for Loser.

OT Win(including shootout): 2 Points to Winner 1 for Loser.

I say go the CCHA route and award 3 points for a win. You can still keep records for the old points system for awarding records and what not.

HoofedInTheChest
03-14-2013, 08:47 AM
I'm big enough to admit that the Jets were the better team the other night, but seeing that you guys want to start piling on my Leafs, i'm up for a friendly debate...

1 - What happened on February 7th? I didn't hear a peep out of you polanski's after that game.

2 - Yes the Leafs haven't won since 67, but how many cups have the Jets won? That's what i thought.... the day you guy's actually win something is the day you can flame my Leafs.

3 - What is your excuse for 1996? This should be entertaining...

4 - What decade was it the last time the Jets saw the playoffs?

5 - Randy Carlyle won a cup in 2007 with the same style of hockey, how many cups has Claude Noel won?

notoutofpounds
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm big enough to admit that the Jets were the better team the other night, but seeing that you guys want to start piling on my Leafs, i'm up for a friendly debate...

1 - What happened on February 7th? I didn't hear a peep out of you polanski's after that game.

2 - Yes the Leafs haven't won since 67, but how many cups have the Jets won? That's what i thought.... the day you guy's actually win something is the day you can flame my Leafs.

3 - What is your excuse for 1996? This should be entertaining...

4 - What decade was it the last time the Jets saw the playoffs?

5 - Randy Carlyle won a cup in 2007 with the same style of hockey, how many cups has Claude Noel won?

You ask questions :ThmbUp: , you receive answers:

:1: I have no idea what happened February 7, but the remarks about Keith Tkachuk and Dale Hawerchuk motivated me to research the Toronto Maple Leaf Cup and Playoff futility. :lol:

:2: Avco World Trophy Champions 1979, 1978, and 1976.

:3: and :4: The 1996 series actually went according to form. One theft by Khabby and one last Whiteout victory at home in Game 3. They got beat by a much better Detroit Red Wing team 4-2. Nikolai Khabibulin stole Game 5 with 51 saves in a 60 minute game that the Jets had no business winning. No excuses here, Detroit was a deserving winner.

The Leafs also lost in the first round in 1996 to St.Louis 4-2.

:5: Randy Carlyle can coach his guys in whatever style he wants, but nothing short of ice hockey alchemy will transform the 2013 Leafs into the 2007 Ducks. Anaheim had Teemu Selanne, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Andy McDonald, Chris Pronger, and both Niedermayer brothers.

Fine, drag Noel into this : :D

Carlyle: 0 Cups Coaching Toronto
Carlyle: 0 Cups Playing for Toronto
Carlyle: 0 Cups Playing for Winnipeg

Noel: 0 Cups Coaching Winnipeg

I look forward to breaking bread and lobster with you at ASD this season :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
03-15-2013, 05:09 AM
You ask questions :ThmbUp: , you receive answers:

:1: I have no idea what happened February 7, but the remarks about Keith Tkachuk and Dale Hawerchuk motivated me to research the Toronto Maple Leaf Cup and Playoff futility. :lol:

:2: Avco World Trophy Champions 1979, 1978, and 1976.

:3: and :4: The 1996 series actually went according to form. One theft by Khabby and one last Whiteout victory at home in Game 3. They got beat by a much better Detroit Red Wing team 4-2. Nikolai Khabibulin stole Game 5 with 51 saves in a 60 minute game that the Jets had no business winning. No excuses here, Detroit was a deserving winner.

The Leafs also lost in the first round in 1996 to St.Louis 4-2.

:5: Randy Carlyle can coach his guys in whatever style he wants, but nothing short of ice hockey alchemy will transform the 2013 Leafs into the 2007 Ducks. Anaheim had Teemu Selanne, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Andy McDonald, Chris Pronger, and both Niedermayer brothers.

Fine, drag Noel into this : :D

Carlyle: 0 Cups Coaching Toronto
Carlyle: 0 Cups Playing for Toronto
Carlyle: 0 Cups Playing for Winnipeg

Noel: 0 Cups Coaching Winnipeg

I look forward to breaking bread and lobster with you at ASD this season :ThmbUp:
February 7 = Leafs 3/ Jets 2

Avco World Trophy? That ranks right up there with a KHL championship, another third rate league that won't stand the test of time.

1996 = Jets move to Phoenix, how many years can you stick around for this time?

Leafs = 11-Stanley Cups

Jets = A big fat 0

The 2013 Leafs will win F-all, but i would be willing to wager the team will go farther in years to come under Carlyle, then the Jets will under Noel, for the time being they are both bottom feeders.

If someone was to ask you, you can own the Leafs or the Jets, free of charge, which team would you take?

notoutofpounds
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
1996 = Jets move to Phoenix, how many years can you stick around for this time?
As long as the Winnipeg Jets are owned by the wealthiest man in Canada :lol:

The 2013 Leafs will win F-all, but i would be willing to wager the team will go farther in years to come under Carlyle, then the Jets will under Noel, for the time being they are both bottom feeders.
You are right about the 2013 Leafs. Carlyle should have played the goons more last night vs Pittsburgh. :lol: They had less than five minutes total ice time. Check out the +/- on Toronto's top six guys from last night. The number one d-man was - :3: and the number one forward line was - :2: . Not too good.

If someone was to ask you, you can own the Leafs or the Jets, free of charge, which team would you take?
Great question ! I would take the Leafs in a heartbeat. Then I would move them to Phoenix so that dope Gary Bettman could buy them from me :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Great question ! I would take the Leafs in a heartbeat. Then I would move them to Phoenix so that dope Gary Bettman could buy them from me :lol:

:lol: :lol:

You two are worth the price of admission. :D

Hey, I've been stuck watching the Coyotes for the last decade as the only games on the tube here. Used to be in a real market with three to five options a night...

Regardless which one of you two has it worse, I've had it the worst.........

Can't even bring myself to make the effort to go to a live game in as long as I've been here. :D

notoutofpounds
03-16-2013, 11:25 AM
:lol: :lol:

You two are worth the price of admission. :D

Hey, I've been stuck watching the Coyotes for the last decade as the only games on the tube here. Used to be in a real market with three to five options a night...

Regardless which one of you two has it worse, I've had it the worst.........

Can't even bring myself to make the effort to go to a live game in as long as I've been here. :D

And we have a new winner skating through the cacti and Arena desert ice fog to claim the vacant title belt :lol:

I can understand the Leaf guy forgetting that there were other teams, because there were only 5 other teams in the League at the time of all that Leaf success. :lol:

I have no excuse because we packed that horrible mess up and sent it to you. Sorry about that. :blush:

You have had it worst. An Arena with terrible sightlines and obstructed views. Millions and millions in losses, and poor attendance. Gluckstern, Burke, Ellman, Moyes, and now the NHL have all owned them. Balsillie wanted to buy it and move it, Hulsizer wanted it, and there were always rumors of the Coyotes moving back to Winnipeg and elsewhere. Endless taxpayer support, City Council meetings and votes, and Goldwater Institute challenges.

Coach Wayne Gretzky is the cherry on top, earning $8,000,000 per year to "coach" the Coyotes for 4 years with zero Playoff appearances.Player Agent Barnett as GM ? Hmmm......hard to see how that was not successful. Past his Best Before date VP Cliff Fletcher ? :lol:

Coyotes were knocked out 7 times in the first round and did not qualify 7 times in their first fourteen years. Yikes. Very Jet-like, but even worse.

With Bankruptcy in 2009 the NHL will keep them afloat until a building is built in Southern Ontario or Quebec City, then they will be moved again because it would be nice to have at least one NHL team in Toronto or Quebec City.

All the old Jet scoring records are property of the Coyotes :bang:

For the first Phoenix Whiteout in 1997 a group of us went to a sports bar in Winnipeg to see how the Coyotes were going to blow Game 7. People glared at us like we were from Heavensgate. This hot drunk girl yelled at us " the Jets are gone, they moved, they are never coming back !"

Jay Trotter
03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
"The Leafs are who we thought they were! That's why we took the damn ice. If you want to crown them, just crown their ass. They are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook!"

Jets up 4 to 1 with 1:25 left in the 2nd period and give it all away but go on to win in the 10th round of the shootout! Oh yeah baby!!! :jump: The Leafs are who we thought they were. :D

johnhannibalsmith
03-16-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm actually kind of used to a mismanaged hockey team, so the YaYaYotes are no big deal. Okay, it isn't the NHL, but I actually worked part-time for the Albany Choppers of the IHL... as in the Price Choppers...

http://blog.timesunion.com/business/files/2009/05/price-chopper.jpg

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/15/2963/full/dateqhv7ntfrgq0mz45g09rxr.gif

The team trainer used to pay me in sticks and tape... until they ran out... after the "last" game, I was given a team travel bag and told to fill it with as much gear as I could fit in it and run out the door as fast as possible... :D

If you've never read of the great Price Choppers...

http://www.chuckthewriter.com/choppers.html

Probably the funniest year of my life all the way around - it was literally about like stepping into the move Slapshot every night.

Jay Trotter
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Interesting article...............very "Slapshotesque"!

If you want an excellent read along the same lines, try:
The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-League-Unruly-Hockey-Association/dp/077108949X)

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2013, 02:15 PM

If you want an excellent read along the same lines, try:
The Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Rebel-League-Unruly-Hockey-Association/dp/077108949X)

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Thanks! I've never seen that - I actually have a little Amazon credit I think and a Kindle tucked off somewhere that hasn't been used since the summer... may have to order that one when I get home. :)

HoofedInTheChest
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
On this day 65 years ago, the greatest hockey player of all time was born in Parry Sound Ontario.

Happy Birthday #4 Bobby Orr, my all time fave. :ThmbUp:

ceejay
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Personally, I would have put Gretzky ahead of him as a player.

My favorite is Trottier, although I am not suggesting he is the best ever. He and the Islanders shut Gretzky and a better Oilers team down (and, taught them some lessons).

notoutofpounds
03-22-2013, 08:53 PM
They have to have more hockey games during Happy Hour on Payday here :lol:

Some guy wearing a possibly counterfeit and definitely very cheap Boston Bruins shirt leaned into the glass and almost into the Winnipeg Jets bench tonight and was yelling at someone on the home side.

Still mad about Tuesday's loss here :lol: or tonight's Pro Line disaster :lol:

Jay Trotter
03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Made it to my first live Jets game since their return and man did I pick the wrong game. They absolutely stunk up the joint. Would rank up there with the worst $90 I ever spent.

Oh well, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

HoofedInTheChest
03-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I actually sat through that pile of cheese last night, very entertaining game. I thought that Bruins fan was barking at the Caps bench, i was shocked when i found out it was the home team, what a pantload.

I just noticed the Jets goal differential for the year, impressive stuff. :lol:

I shouldn't laugh, the Loafs will probably hand over 4 points to the Bruins this weekend, ah well, baseball season is right around the corner.

Jay Trotter
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
I actually sat through that pile of cheese last night, very entertaining game. I thought that Bruins fan was barking at the Caps bench, i was shocked when i found out it was the home team, what a pantload.

I shouldn't laugh, the Loafs will probably hand over 4 points to the Bruins this weekend, ah well, baseball season is right around the corner.Interesting your comment about baseball. The Jets fans are famous for some outlandish chants to get on the other teams case. Example -- when Washington is in town they chant "Crosby's better" to get on Ovechkin's back. Well, when the Leafs were in town the chant was "Let's Go Blue Jays". :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
03-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Interesting your comment about baseball. The Jets fans are famous for some outlandish chants to get on the other teams case. Example -- when Washington is in town they chant "Crosby's better" to get on Ovechkin's back. Well, when the Leafs were in town the chant was "Let's Go Blue Jays". :lol:
I must admit, i caught that chant during the Leaf game, i thought it was pretty funny at the time..... good burn. Let's hope the Jays can stay healthy this year and make a run at the playoffs, iv'e been tortured enough as a Toronto fan.

ldiatone
03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
how about those pens :jump: 12 in a row without 2 of their prime players and the team trades for a big stay at home D man Murray and a good winger for the Malkin-Neal line Marrow. didn't lke the fact they gave up the young defnseman but thats one of the pens long suits.

notoutofpounds
03-26-2013, 09:29 PM

I shouldn't laugh, the Loafs will probably hand over 4 points to the Bruins this weekend, ah well, baseball season is right around the corner.

The guy was yelling "Where are the %#$^&*+ Bruins :lol:

We should stay in this high flying Southeast Division. Florida Panthers won it last year with a -23 goal differential :D

Good work against Boston taking 3 of 4 Points this weekend :ThmbUp: Please stay in Sixth place Toronto :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
03-27-2013, 07:02 AM
The guy was yelling "Where are the %#$^&*+ Bruins :lol:

We should stay in this high flying Southeast Division. Florida Panthers won it last year with a -23 goal differential :D

Good work against Boston taking 3 of 4 Points this weekend :ThmbUp: Please stay in Sixth place Toronto :lol:
At the moment it doesn't look like anyone in your division really wants to dig down deep and compete with the Jets for the top spot, you guys just might coast into the playoffs with that third spot.

I was very impressed with the Buds over the weekend, i wish they put that kind of effort into every game, mind you they still need to learn how to play the last 5 minutes of a game.

I was thinking the other night that it looks like it's very possible that we will see a Leafs/Jets first round match-up. That will make for some interesting conversations on here..... lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still have 15 or so games left to play, but i look forward to the match-up if it happens.

Jay Trotter
03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
I was thinking the other night that it looks like it's very possible that we will see a Leafs/Jets first round match-up. That will make for some interesting conversations on here..... lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we still have 15 or so games left to play, but i look forward to the match-up if it happens.Is Yonge Street still on the parade route! :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Is Yonge Street still on the parade route! :lol:
Yes that's the usual route, 1993 was the last time we had a parade. 20 years later and it looks like it's time to have another, you might even see some of the Leafs on the sidewalk watching as well. ;)

Laugh it up Trotter, Noel wont be smiling during his post game presser.

ceejay
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
At the moment it doesn't look like anyone in your division really wants to dig down deep and compete with the Jets for the top spot, you guys just might coast into the playoffs with that third spot.

Hasn't that often been the case in the SouthLeast?

MutuelClerk
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Leaf fan here. Cautiously optimistic about the playoffs after taking three out of five points against the Bruins ( three point games suck). What's impressed me most this season is instead of acting tough. They're playing tough. Blocking shots, fights. It's easy to act tough take a dumb penalty and have a horrible PK. Exhibit A. The Leafs in the ron wilson era. Now they take the extra penalty and actually KILL the penalty. This gives you a mental and phsyical edge over your opponent. Kadri has been a blessing. We could defenitely use another D-man. Settle the goalie issue in the off season. Leafs-Habs first round? 4-5.

Jay Trotter
03-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Leaf fan here.
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/hockey/2012/04/10/maple_leafs_apology_a_roundup_of_the_days_leaf_eve nts/maple_leafsfans.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

condolences

Jay Trotter
03-31-2013, 07:36 AM
Looks like the Oilers have finally started to get their act together. Could still be dangerous if they can snag a playoff spot.

Rookies
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/hockey/2012/04/10/maple_leafs_apology_a_roundup_of_the_days_leaf_eve nts/maple_leafsfans.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

condolences

If you win it, they will come. Oh, they most assuredly will come Jay! In the millions and all well behaved, unlike the normal post title celebration in the U.S.

I was at both of these, the second after watching Joe crank it out off the Wild Thang! Been 20 years. Time to do it again- at least in Baseball!:ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKAfdTSEN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUnE0vrDcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMHja2tk8I

HoofedInTheChest
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Looks like the Oilers have finally started to get their act together. Could still be dangerous if they can snag a playoff spot.
Trotter, put down the bong, it's affecting your thinking.

ceejay
04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/sports/hockey/john-tavares-quietly-making-case-for-hart-trophy.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

If (and that's a big if) the Islanders make the playoffs Taveras could make a case for MVP. You can easily make the case that he is more valuable to his team than the other contenders are to their team.
So dependent are they on Tavares that, through Friday, their record when he scored at least a point was 19-6-1; when he didn’t, it was 2-10-3.

ldiatone
04-16-2013, 05:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/sports/hockey/john-tavares-quietly-making-case-for-hart-trophy.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

If (and that's a big if) the Islanders make the playoffs Taveras could make a case for MVP. You can easily make the case that he is more valuable to his team than the other contenders are to their team.
not disagreing w/ you or the article, but i don't think he'll get it. i don't think Crosby(missed last several games) will either. maybe stamkos or toewes.

HoofedInTheChest
04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
After giving it some thought, i can't think of anybody that has had an impact on his team like Tavares has, just another Mississauga boy done good.

It looks like Trotter will be cheering for the Leafs tonight, for the first time in his life! :lol: Their record is not good on consecutive nights, you better hope Lupul makes his return tonight.

Here's a little tidbit for you to digest. Just use the scroll bar to find your Jets. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Are you still holding on to that Oilers pipedream? It seems management has other plans...

cj
04-16-2013, 06:21 PM
The Caps have sure turned it on lately.

ldiatone
04-17-2013, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=cj]The Caps have sure turned it on lately.[/QUOTEv
OV has played well. i think the tongue lashing milbury gave him on tv lite the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicwKSikBeM

Jay Trotter
04-17-2013, 09:18 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2880/paradeplan.jpg

ONLY TO BREAK THE HEARTS OF LEAF NATION YET AGAIN

http://www.icejerseys.com/bus/b33/S1/SiteSkins/assets_1/BrandImages/TorontoMapleLeafs.png

:lol:

Track Collector
04-17-2013, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=cj]The Caps have sure turned it on lately.[/QUOTEv
OV has played well. i think the tongue lashing milbury gave him on tv lite the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicwKSikBeM

I believe Ovechkin's turnaround had little to do with Milbury.

It has everything to do with learning a new system, AND, having the trust of your coach. Remember that it takes a complete team to play well, and everyone else also had to learn the new system instituted by Adam Oates.

The hockey season started late and without reasonable time for training camps, so it was learning on the fly.

It is clear the players have bought in to the current system, and that team chemistry is currently high. The CAPS have not yet secured a playoff spot, but with just 5 games to go, I like their chances.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS! :)

OTM Al
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM

He's been really good, but even NYC sports media is barely paying attention. Team's been too bad for too long, though he's helped start to turn that around. Got tickets for the preseason game at Barclays next season and it looks like they are going to do an outside game at Yankee Stadium next year as well. Looking good for the playoffs this year too, so hoping to get at least a game in there too.

jdhanover
04-18-2013, 01:06 PM
He's been really good, but even NYC sports media is barely paying attention. Team's been too bad for too long, though he's helped start to turn that around. Got tickets for the preseason game at Barclays next season and it looks like they are going to do an outside game at Yankee Stadium next year as well. Looking good for the playoffs this year too, so hoping to get at least a game in there too.

As a lifelong Islanders fan, I have to agreee!!! Really, an MVP is a guy who means a ton to the team. Without Tavares, the Isles are nowhere. Without crosby the Pens are still top team in the East.

And why is Capuano not even mentioned for Coach of the Year. Takes team that last year was the worst with pre-season predictions the same for this year. Barely any personnel changes. And team could finish as high as 5th. I dont get how he doesnt even get mentioned. Yeah, the media etc, but someone should notice.

Of course these awards are more popularity contests than 'real'. IMO

OTM Al
04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
As a lifelong Islanders fan, I have to agreee!!! Really, an MVP is a guy who means a ton to the team. Without Tavares, the Isles are nowhere. Without crosby the Pens are still top team in the East.

And why is Capuano not even mentioned for Coach of the Year. Takes team that last year was the worst with pre-season predictions the same for this year. Barely any personnel changes. And team could finish as high as 5th. I dont get how he doesnt even get mentioned. Yeah, the media etc, but someone should notice.

They certainly seemed to find some pieces the last couple months. Really had no hope for them to make the playoffs when the season started and the only line that seemed to be able to do anything was with Tavares and Moulson. Now they seem to have three lines that can be productive, especially with Okposo, who has been plying very well. I still feel their defense is a little suspect. Nabokov plays a solid goal but he doesn't always seem to be in sync with the defenders, thus the large number of goals against. I think if they can make it up to 6th they have a chance to move on as they have matched up very well with the Caps. Those two awful losses against Carolina really hurt right now as far as positioning.

jdhanover
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
They certainly seemed to find some pieces the last couple months. Really had no hope for them to make the playoffs when the season started and the only line that seemed to be able to do anything was with Tavares and Moulson. Now they seem to have three lines that can be productive, especially with Okposo, who has been plying very well. I still feel their defense is a little suspect. Nabokov plays a solid goal but he doesn't always seem to be in sync with the defenders, thus the large number of goals against. I think if they can make it up to 6th they have a chance to move on as they have matched up very well with the Caps. Those two awful losses against Carolina really hurt right now as far as positioning.

Yeah, those CAR losses sting.

I thought the D was the weak spot...but the last 10 ganmes i think they have given up 14 goals, no game more than 2. That is hard to do. Tough test tonight in Toronto. We'll see how the boys do. It's been a fun run though. first time in a looooong time. Same can be said for Toronto

OTM Al
04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah, those CAR losses sting.

I thought the D was the weak spot...but the last 10 ganmes i think they have given up 14 goals, no game more than 2. That is hard to do. Tough test tonight in Toronto. We'll see how the boys do. It's been a fun run though. first time in a looooong time. Same can be said for Toronto

Yeah, if they can get out with a point they will be in good shape as the last 4 they play are very winable despite all being road games. The thing they stopped doing was imploding after they gave up a goal. Wasn't that the game against Florida where they were up 3-0 and gave up 3 goals in 1:40? They managed to win that one and haven't done that again, but it seemed a regular occurance early in the season and several games they should have won, the Carolina ones in particular, were lost.

ceejay
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM

If both these guys worked for the Toronto Maple Leafs they would be in the mix. But, there is a media bias in play. The Islanders, despite playing in Uniondale, are in fact a small market team and players and coaches must be so far the best to win these types of awards.

ceejay
04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
last 4 they play are very winable despite all being road games.
As you probably know, there are playing much better on the road than at home. I suspect that may change in the playoffs (if they happen) because as crappy as it is the NVMC really can rock.

Jay Trotter
04-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Big night tonight for Jets fans......

Have to take Florida over the Rangers; unfortunatley, Toronto over the Islanders (that's painful); and do I go with Ottawa or Washington, who both have 50 points. Something tells me Washington is going to be tougher to catch, so go Caps go!

50 Washington
50 Ottawa
49 Islanders
46 Rangers
----------------
46 Jets
44 Buffalo

ps. Favorite Islander is Butch Goring :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
04-18-2013, 04:44 PM
As you probably know, there are playing much better on the road than at home. I suspect that may change in the playoffs (if they happen) because as crappy as it is the NVMC really can rock.

That stat seems an anomaly rather than something with real meaning, but they have certainly been doing fine at home of late. You ain't kidding though. That place has got to be the worst venue in a major sport. The ads on the boards even scream minor league, let alone the events between periods. Am very excited to see how the setup at Barclays will look in September. Haven't been in there yet but it seems pretty dark on TV for the Nets games.

jdhanover
04-18-2013, 05:21 PM
That stat seems an anomaly rather than something with real meaning, but they have certainly been doing fine at home of late. You ain't kidding though. That place has got to be the worst venue in a major sport. The ads on the boards even scream minor league, let alone the events between periods. Am very excited to see how the setup at Barclays will look in September. Haven't been in there yet but it seems pretty dark on TV for the Nets games.

But for the playoffs it is the best. If you listen to the guys the past couple of weeks they talk about how crazy loud it is (now that it is full). The old stadiums (like here in Chicago where the old Stadium was much louder than the United center) seem to be louder. I remember the last time they were in the playoffs, the announcers commented on it being the loudest arena in the league.

They have been much better as of late at home and I think the home crowd will help. Hope they continue to be road warriors...and BUF and PHIL get mathematcally eliminated before that back-to-back at the end of the season.

Oh, and while I dont see it happening, how great would it be if the Isles get in AND the Rangers dont????

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Is Big Buff in game shape yet?
http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dustin-byfuglien-stay-puft-marshmellow-man.jpg

Jay Trotter
04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Image size selection -- use it! Or is everything just bigger in the Big Smoke? :bang:

OTM Al
04-18-2013, 07:58 PM
But for the playoffs it is the best. If you listen to the guys the past couple of weeks they talk about how crazy loud it is (now that it is full). The old stadiums (like here in Chicago where the old Stadium was much louder than the United center) seem to be louder. I remember the last time they were in the playoffs, the announcers commented on it being the loudest arena in the league.

They have been much better as of late at home and I think the home crowd will help. Hope they continue to be road warriors...and BUF and PHIL get mathematcally eliminated before that back-to-back at the end of the season.

Oh, and while I dont see it happening, how great would it be if the Isles get in AND the Rangers dont????

Maybe I'll never rank as a "true" fan as I don't think I'll ever hate on the Rangers but enjoy the local rivalries a lot. First game I ever saw live was Rangers with Gretzky vs Buffalo and Háček. Just a fantastic game and when the Rangers won in 1994 I was living just two blocks from the Garden on 32nd st. and you could just hear this joyous noise coming down the street when they won as fans poured out of the Garden. I just love the fact that living in NYC gives so many opportunities to see games in all the sports.

Now would I like to see the Isles knock the Rangers out of the playoffs? Well that's a whole different question!

BTW real barn burner going tonight!

jdhanover
04-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Maybe I'll never rank as a "true" fan as I don't think I'll ever hate on the Rangers but enjoy the local rivalries a lot. First game I ever saw live was Rangers with Gretzky vs Buffalo and Háček. Just a fantastic game and when the Rangers won in 1994 I was living just two blocks from the Garden on 32nd st. and you could just hear this joyous noise coming down the street when they won as fans poured out of the Garden. I just love the fact that living in NYC gives so many opportunities to see games in all the sports.

Now would I like to see the Isles knock the Rangers out of the playoffs? Well that's a whole different question!

BTW real barn burner going tonight!

Crazy game....outshooting Leafs 31-9, up only 3-2....this tends to end a little less well. But since they started down 2-0, maybe they can keep it going. Hope so...would be a giant 2 points.

Jay Trotter
04-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks Maple Buds -- can't count on you for anything!:ThmbDown:

jdhanover
04-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Big W for the Isles.....game in Winnipeg on Saturday looms large.

Racey
04-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Suck....will never win D is a joke GM and owner in Fantasyland. That team needs a major overhaul.

HoofedInTheChest
04-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Go big or go home Trotter! :lol: Sorry about that guys...

Looks like the hometown Toronto boys had family at the game tonight, they were putting on a clinic. Tavares, Moulson, and Boyes were unstoppable tonight, this happens every time a local player comes home, the Buds just can't make it easy on themselves.

Looks like fatboy won it for the Jets, just my luck. :rolleyes:

One thing about the MVP...
After looking at the contenders, one thing stands out to me, the majority of the high end players are a minus in the (+ -). For me that separates the greats from the not so greats. If you're allowing more goals than you're putting in, you have no business winning the MVP, you're still a liability out there. Someone from the Pens or the Hawks should take the MVP.

This would be my MVP rankings
Crosby +26
Toews +27
Kunitz +29
Kane +14
Nash +13
Obitchkin -1
Tavares -1
Carter -1
St.Louis -3
Stamkos -7

ceejay
04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Big W for the Isles.....
Character win!

jdhanover
04-19-2013, 10:50 AM

Looks like the hometown Toronto boys had family at the game tonight, they were putting on a clinic. Tavares, Moulson, and Boyes were unstoppable tonight, this happens every time a local player comes home, the Buds just can't make it easy on themselves.

After looking at the contenders, one thing stands out to me, the majority of the high end players are a minus in the (+ -). For me that separates the greats from the not so greats. If you're allowing more goals than you're putting in, you have no business winning the MVP, you're still a liability out there. Someone from the Pens or the Hawks should take the MVP.

Crosby +26
Toews +27
Kunitz +29
Kane +14
Nash +13
Obitchkin -1
Tavares -1
Carter -1
St.Louis -3
Stamkos -7

+/- has a lot more to do with the rest of the team being very good or not. I hate the Rangers but on this scale Nash sticks out. Team is mediocre but he is +13.

jdhanover
04-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Isles - Jets game is HUGE...a win and the Isles are a near lock for a spot. A loss and it gets waaaaay too tight

jdhanover
04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
2 MORE POINTS!!!!!

OTM Al
04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Kinda sloppy defensively but Tavares saves the day. Big win. Last three games against poor teams so no time to let up. Already looking forward to Tuesday.

Jay Trotter
04-23-2013, 08:07 AM
53 Islanders (3)
52 Capitals (3)
52 Rangers (3)
52 Senators (3)
--------------------
51 Jets (2)

Looks like the Islanders and Rangers will make the playoffs based on where they stand currently and the teams remaining on their schedule.

The Capitals play both Ottawa and Winnipeg. Winnipeg and Washington play tonight and a Jets loss would pretty much solidify the playoff picture.

HoofedInTheChest
04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
http://images.rakuten.com/PI/0/500/232950680.jpg

Jay Trotter
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
HA HA...YOU SO FUNNY
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc2dr4FR5U1r79k9c.gif

jdhanover
04-23-2013, 02:28 PM
53 Islanders (3)
52 Capitals (3)
52 Rangers (3)
52 Senators (3)
--------------------
51 Jets (2)

Looks like the Islanders and Rangers will make the playoffs based on where they stand currently and the teams remaining on their schedule.

The Capitals play both Ottawa and Winnipeg. Winnipeg and Washington play tonight and a Jets loss would pretty much solidify the playoff picture.

I hope you are right about he Isles, Jay...and I'd like to see them win out and hold the 6th seed. Who wants to play PIT any earlier than you have to?

Jay Trotter
04-23-2013, 03:01 PM
I hope you are right about he Isles, Jay...and I'd like to see them win out and hold the 6th seed. Who wants to play PIT any earlier than you have to?In a perfect world.......the Jets somehow catch the Capitals and claim the #3 seed in the East. Toronto finishes in 6th place and what..........................oh, yeah Jets are home to the Maple Buds! Life would be soooooooooooooooooo good if that happened.:ThmbUp:

OTM Al
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
I hope you are right about he Isles, Jay...and I'd like to see them win out and hold the 6th seed. Who wants to play PIT any earlier than you have to?

If they win out there's a chance they actually move up to the 5, though Montreal probably won't give it their best in the last game of the season so likely Toronto holds that spot. I just want them to beat Carolina tonight and end the suspense. Not so worried about who they play in the playoffs as a few months ago I didn't figure them for making it at all. I'll leave next year for expectations.

BTW I really love the Jets' logo. It's sharp.

cj
04-23-2013, 03:08 PM
In a perfect world.......the Jets somehow catch the Capitals and claim the #3 seed in the East. Toronto finishes in 6th place and what..........................oh, yeah Jets are home to the Maple Buds! Life would be soooooooooooooooooo good if that happened.:ThmbUp:

That is not a perfect world for Caps fans like me.

In other news, as I suspected, the OKC Barons are actually better now (like last year) without all the young Oilers players. It took a while to get going, but they actually went from out of the playoffs with the Lockout Stars to the 5 seed in the West. Just shows what a team sport hockey can be.

ceejay
04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
In a perfect world.......the Jets somehow catch the Capitals and claim the #3 seed in the East. Toronto finishes in 6th place and what..........................oh, yeah Jets are home to the Maple Buds! Life would be soooooooooooooooooo good if that happened.:ThmbUp:
In my perfect world the Ranger$ would not qualify and the Islanders would. But, I am not looking for perfection and will be completely happy if simply the Islanders qualify.

HoofedInTheChest
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM

In other news, as I suspected, the OKC Barons are actually better now (like last year) without all the young Oilers players. It took a while to get going, but they actually went from out of the playoffs with the Lockout Stars to the 5 seed in the West. Just shows what a team sport hockey can be.
Not to worry cj, Trotter is dreaming! You have to actually have a playoff spot before you can mention the Leafs in a matchup. The Jets might squeak into the 8th spot, only to play the Pens in the first round, good luck with that. Washington still has a game in hand over the Jets, mind you they might do the Jets a favor by beating the Sens, but tonight should be the final nail in the coffin for the Peggers. The Loafs have an easy week, there's no chance of moving down.

Leafs/Habs in the first round.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fy8ZCYsDpvg/TNXYhTQ3DfI/AAAAAAAAADk/ZaGqMHhZ5os/s1600/toronto_maple_leafs.jpg

ldiatone
04-23-2013, 05:12 PM

Crosby +26
Toews +27
Kunitz +29
Kane +14
Nash +13
Obitchkin -1
Tavares -1
Carter -1
St.Louis -3
Stamkos -7
"OBITCHKIN" :lol: :lol: (did you mean to type this :lol: )

Track Collector
04-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Me too! Big night for the Caps. I'm excited, but very nervous.

While the Caps have been on fire the last 10 games, the Jets just keep winning and have not gone away. It's nice to play at home with the crowd behind you and the benefit of the last line change.

Jets are coming off a road game last night, but I'm sure they will be fired up with their playoff hopes on the line.

Jay Trotter
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Not to worry cj, Trotter is dreaming!Those Leafs are just going to break your heart but you still keep hoping -- who's the dreamer? :lol:

cj
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
"OBITCHKIN" :lol: :lol: (did you mean to type this :lol: )

I guess he forgot Concussby.

HoofedInTheChest
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Those Leafs are just going to break your heart but you still keep hoping -- who's the dreamer? :lol:
I'm well aware of what's coming Trotter, but the drought is finally over, and the boys will bang out a round or two, and cj and i will be watching playoff hockey! :p

On the topic of dreamers.....

Quote: Jay Trotter
“I believe the Oilers will be more successful than the Leafs this season.”

That worked out well for ya.

And as for your Jets, better luck next year Trotsky.

jdhanover
04-24-2013, 12:22 AM
In my perfect world the Ranger$ would not qualify and the Islanders would. But, I am not looking for perfection and will be completely happy if simply the Islanders qualify.

Islanders .... PLAYOFFS !!! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

And I'd like us to stay out of the 8 seed..... Rangers' loss tonight helps that cause

elysiantraveller
04-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Just hoping my Wings can grind it out for the 8 seed to keep the streak alive!!!

... then lookout Blackhawks! :rolleyes:

ceejay
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM

And I'd like us to stay out of the 8 seed..... Rangers' loss tonight helps that cause
:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :cool: :cool:

OTM Al
04-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Can't believe they lost to Carolina again though. At least they are in. Couldn't watch the game last night so probably missed the fact that playoff tickets went on sale at 12 today and now only can get singles at the levels I can afford. Oh well, will try to get a mini plan for next year.

The complete NY area disrespect for this team is comical. They have their game to clinch a playoff spot and they are on MSG+2 which isn't even a real channel, just used for overflow when too many games going on at once. I get the fact that the Knicks should be on the MSG flagship channel, but the Devils had MSG+ for a meaningless game. Then was reading the Times this morning and they had a big locally reported story on the Rangers and right next to it taking half the space (at least in the digital world) was an AP story on the Isles clinching a playoff spot. Moving to Barclays is a must to make these guys relevant again.

ldiatone
04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
I guess he forgot Concussby.
not this year. busted jaw. but he'll be back for the playoffs.

HoofedInTheChest
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Seeing that he got his front uppers and lowers knocked out, he now goes by Shhidney Croshhby.

Poor guy....

Rise Over Run
04-24-2013, 07:30 PM

If everything is right in the world he'll take a puck or stick to the lower mandible in period 1 of round 1.

Jay Trotter
04-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Jared Staal gets the call up to join the Carolina Hurricanes for his first NHL game tonight vs. the Rangers, joining brothers Eric and Jordan. :ThmbUp:

jdhanover
04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Can't believe they lost to Carolina again though. At least they are in. Couldn't watch the game last night so probably missed the fact that playoff tickets went on sale at 12 today and now only can get singles at the levels I can afford. Oh well, will try to get a mini plan for next year.

The complete NY area disrespect for this team is comical. They have their game to clinch a playoff spot and they are on MSG+2 which isn't even a real channel, just used for overflow when too many games going on at once. I get the fact that the Knicks should be on the MSG flagship channel, but the Devils had MSG+ for a meaningless game. Then was reading the Times this morning and they had a big locally reported story on the Rangers and right next to it taking half the space (at least in the digital world) was an AP story on the Isles clinching a playoff spot. Moving to Barclays is a must to make these guys relevant again.

Not just NY but the whole league. Here is a team that was picked to finish dead last in the conference and six weeks ago looked to be heading south that now has a shot at the 5th seed. Only in the last couple of days have I seen articles etc about this rather incredible run. And Tavares getting more MVP talk (though still 3d/4th on most ballots I think).

What I dont get is how Capuano is not even mentioned in the Coach of the Year talk. They epect Quennville to get it. I understand the Hawks are having a great year, but they also had a core than won the Cup a couple of years ago. Not saying Q hasn't done a good job, but to me a great coach is a guy who gets his guys to over-produce. Cappy has done that for sure.

Ah well, at least we Islanders fans can enjoy the ride....even if no one else notices. And if we dont play Carolina anymore ;)

HoofedInTheChest
04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Jared Staal gets the call up to join the Carolina Hurricanes for his first NHL game tonight vs. the Rangers, joining brothers Eric and Jordan. :ThmbUp:
That's one productive uterus, she's giving mother Sutter a run for her money.

MutuelClerk
04-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Murray Howe is pleased with this call up.

Jay Trotter
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Murray Howe is pleased with this call up.:lol: Good one!

Jay Trotter
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Turn out the lights, the party's over! Thanks for nothing Washington. :ThmbDown:

Now, I will be cheering for the Maple Buds to lose, first and foremost.

HoofedInTheChest
04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Round 1 Playoffs

Eastern Conference

(1)Penguins vs (8)Islanders = Penguins

(2)Canadiens vs (7)Senators = Senators* (Hab fans will then proceed to light the city on fire)

(3)Capitals vs (6)Rangers = Rangers

(4)Bruins vs (5)Leafs = Bruins

Western Conference

(1)Black Hawks vs (8)Wild = Black Hawks

(2)Ducks vs (7)Red Wings = Ducks

(3)Canucks vs (6)Sharks = Sharks*

(4)Blues vs (5)Kings = Kings

* Series could go either way, tuff call.

HoofedInTheChest
04-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Over the weekend, Canada beat the U.S. 3-2 to win Gold at the World under 18 championships, ending a 4 year reign by the Americans. As for the host Russians..... :lol:

Connor McDavid is scary good, unbelievable that a kid at 15 can be so dominating, can't wait to see him in a Leafs jersey!

Jay Trotter
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Connor McDavid is scary good, unbelievable that a kid at 15 can be so dominating, can't wait to see him in a Leafs jersey!So, you're expecting the Leafs to be dead last three years from now? :lol:

I see you went with your head instead of your heart and picked the Bruins, eh!

HoofedInTheChest
04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
After i wrote that, i thought of your Jets, they have a really good chance of landing him. Seeing that you're moving to the West next season, where you'll get even more exposed than you did in the East, you might be looking at a few years of non-playoff hockey. Who knows, you might get lucky and land him in the lottery, but whoever lands him has a gem on their hands, he is the next coming.

If the Loafs were facing the Habs in the first round, i would take them in a heartbeat. The Bruins are designed for the playoffs, the Leafs will give them a go but i think the Bruins will prevail.

Good luck next week Trotter.

HoofedInTheChest
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
For all the Playoff Poolies out there, here is a good breakdown to get you started.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=93644

MutuelClerk
04-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I agree with Hoofed on every series, damn. I saw Connor McDavid a few months ago. Very impressive. Played great in the OHL and its continuing, good to see. I actually think the two number one seeds have a good chance of playing for the Stanley. Seems to rarely happen in the NHL.

The Bruins have a psychological edge on the Leafs from the Kessel trade. Adding to the fact their talented and huge it will be a very tough match-up. But it will help the Leafs grow, they're pretty young. Good to FINALLY be back in the playoffs. Yeah, I'll say it. GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Greyfox
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Fact:

While Canadian players occupy over half the spots on most N.H.L. rosters, it has been 20 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup.

This year there are 4 Canadian teams still in the hunt. At least 1 will make it to the second round. Beyond that ? Who knows.

HoofedInTheChest
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Fact:

While Canadian players occupy over half the spots on most N.H.L. rosters, it has been 20 years since a Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup.

This year there are 4 Canadian teams still in the hunt. At least 1 will make it to the second round. Beyond that ? Who knows.
To be precise, Canadians make up 53% of the NHL, a number that keeps dwindling for some strange reason, damn Americans! One number that doesn't seem to be falling, is the percentage of Canadians on winning Stanley Cup teams, somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% to 80%. One day the Leafs will figure that out, the Pens, Kings and Black Hawks already have.

As far as this year is concerned, there's a 0% chance of seeing a Canadian team winning the cup, but one thing is certain, the cup will be spending the bulk of it's time in Canada this summer.

Jay Trotter
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
NHL Nationality Breakdown

Jay Trotter
04-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Eastern Conference
(1)Penguins vs (8)Islanders
(2)Canadiens vs (7)Senators
(3)Capitals vs (6)Rangers
(4)Bruins vs (5)Leafs:rolleyes:

(1)Penguins vs (6)Rangers
(4)Bruins vs (2)Canadiens

(1)Penguins vs (4)Bruins

Western Conference
(1)Black Hawks vs (8)Wild
(2)Ducks vs (7)Red Wings
(3)Canucks vs (6)Sharks
(4)Blues vs (5)Kings

(1)Black Hawks vs (6)Sharks
(2)Ducks vs (5)Kings

(1)Black Hawks vs (5)Kings

Stanley Cup
(4)Bruins vs (5)Kings

cj
05-04-2013, 02:48 PM
This is the kind of playoff game the Caps never win. Lets see if that can change today. 11 to go, no score.

cj
05-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Hmmmm, this could be a different Caps team than in decades past!

HoofedInTheChest
05-04-2013, 03:39 PM
What's going on, they're actually playing defence.

Congrats cj. :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
05-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Kessel actually scores in Boston. Grabovski shows testicular fortitude. Where have these things been? Great effort tonight. Carlyle possible coach of the year. I know the Bruins are better and will probably win the series but it was good to see the Leafs stand up to them tonight. Can't wait for Monday. For all you Leafs haters.......GO LEAFS GO!!!

Jay Trotter
05-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Just so there is no misconception on where I stand -- I HATE THE LEAFS!

MutuelClerk
05-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Got it. Go Thrashers.

Rookies
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Just so there is no misconception on where I stand -- I HATE THE LEAFS!

Jay, it is 4:00p.m. and I'm now sobered up from last night's delight!:cool: I was with about 300 other screaming Leaf Fans in Mississauga

Here's a little vid for your amusement. http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=802&id=245529&lang=en

4k real fans, outside the ACC, while the team was in Beantown.

Just wait until Monday night. There might be 10k outside, while the game goes on inside!

GO LEAFS GO!:)

Jay Trotter
05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
My little grandson will be two in June. His name is "Boston". I call him "Bean"!

GO BOSTON GO

johnhannibalsmith
05-06-2013, 09:57 PM
What's going on, they're actually playing defence.

Congrats cj. :ThmbUp:

Looks like they've quit all that in the third tonight. Rangers just loitering in the slot with Caps standing feet away surveying the scene, stick in the air, finger in a nostril. Geeez guys.

johnhannibalsmith
05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
:D
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jGRF7FvHgMOR4e3dW3L.iw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/meDHpGA.jpg

RXB
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Islanders and Penguins now two games each. Fun hockey; they are actually scoring goals, which is unfortunately a rarity in the contemporary NHL.

ldiatone
05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
vokoun will start in goal for the pens. Fleury can't stop a basketball. he has been terrible since he won the cup in 09. candiens-lighting-and last years fiasco vrs flyers. pens paid 2mil to vokoun just for this reason.
just as badger bob used to say "you can loose 3"

MutuelClerk
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
When the Pens made all those moves at the deadline it put alot of pressure on Fleury. HE hasn't responded well obviously. Should be a helluva game tonight. Pens better win. Love the playoffs. Unlike the NBA where top seeds win or get help in winning from rouge referees.

jdhanover
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Islanders and Penguins now two games each. Fun hockey; they are actually scoring goals, which is unfortunately a rarity in the contemporary NHL.

Agree 100%.... I was at Game 4 Tuesday night. Best game I have seen in a looooooong time - back and forth, lots of offense, hits, calls (and bad non-calls), and an incredibly loud crowd. It was even loud in the concourse area between periods.

I wish the League would do more to open the game up. 5-4 with 40 shots per team is a lot more fun than watching the Devils trap-style hockey.

RXB
05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
They need to make the nets a bit wider to compensate for the goalies' improved techniques and much wider/better equipment. It would help the chances of all shots but would especially allow the offensive aspect of the game to return on the wings. Remember how exciting it used to be in the 70's/80's when guys would fly down the wing and rip a shot just inside the post? That's almost completely gone from the NHL and not to the improvement of the entertainment value. Defensemen don't even worry about that play anymore on the rush; all they have to concern themselves with is the middle of the ice.

I was at the Canucks/Sharks game last Friday and it was reasonably entertaining. But so often now a game just falls into a boring routine of neutral-zone traps, scrums, blocked shots, cycling in the corners, and goals that are largely the result of lucky bounces as the puck pinballs off of one of the mass of players near the net.

ldiatone
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
so here is the question. can the pens win 1 of 2... or can the nyi win 2 back to back?
how about the SENS, DUCKS and HAWKS winning there seris? i was surprised about "les habitats". Thieren is a good coach. dont know what happened there.
and the WILD, sign 2 players to big contracts and ousted in round1. CANUCKS....goal keeping.

ldiatone
05-10-2013, 05:33 PM
They need to make the nets a bit wider to compensate for the goalies' improved techniques and much wider/better equipment. It would help the chances of all shots but would especially allow the offensive aspect of the game to return on the wings. Remember how exciting it used to be in the 70's/80's when guys would fly down the wing and rip a shot just inside the post? That's almost completely gone from the NHL and not to the improvement of the entertainment value. Defensemen don't even worry about that play anymore on the rush; all they have to concern themselves with is the middle of the ice.

I was at the Canucks/Sharks game last Friday and it was reasonably entertaining. But so often now a game just falls into a boring routine of neutral-zone traps, scrums, blocked shots, cycling in the corners, and goals that are largely the result of lucky bounces as the puck pinballs off of one of the mass of players near the net.
RXB i kinda agree with you bet i think there was a ton more "clutching" and "grabing" back in the70's and 80's. here in the burg on off nights are local sports station shows old pens games back in the '90s. there are soooo many penalties that the refs would call now but didn't back then. they did start supporting the rules in the last work stopage bace in '04. i can remember how the pens signed some nice players, but when play started these guys were beat by speed like a "rented mule"

cj
05-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Caps heartache just never ends. No matter how many years you wait, the end is just always the same...and I expect it again in 2013.

cj
05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Caps WIN!

Still, I can't celebrate. Been here way too many times before.

Jay Trotter
05-11-2013, 10:35 AM
The difference between the high scoring 70's & 80's and now can be attributed partly to the size of the equipment and the players themselves. Everyone is just bigger and stronger.

Secondly, the coaches and players are that much better which lends itself to defensive superiority. Goaltenders have all the angles down pat -- they aren't flopping around like they did in the old days. The systems, both defensive and offensive, shut down the wide open game.

Also, the gap between the Gretzky type player and Joe Schmoo on the 4th line is much closer. I would give anything to see Guy Lafleur come down the wing once more and let the shot go but those days are gone and unfortunately you can't go backwards in the development of the game.

I don't know that I would want to see the nets made larger -- that would be tantamount to sacriledge from a hockey purist perspective but maybe that is one of the things that need to change.

RXB
05-11-2013, 02:34 PM
There's nothing sacrosanct about the size of the nets. They weren't designed at that size with the idea that goalies would someday be wearing equipment of such incredible width. They took out the red line, they've made other rule changes to meet the contemporary realities of the game, so why can't they widen the nets a bit? They need to do something to bring back the opportunity to score from the perimeter and widening the nets a bit would be the easiest way to do so.

elysiantraveller
05-11-2013, 05:31 PM
The difference between the high scoring 70's & 80's and now can be attributed partly to the size of the equipment and the players themselves. Everyone is just bigger and stronger.

Also, the gap between the Gretzky type player and Joe Schmoo on the 4th line is much closer.

:ThmbUp:

This.

Even "The Great One" wouldn't be great in this league. Times change.

You can look at the evolution of any sport and see the changes. Mike Singletary probably wouldn't even make an NFL roster in today's league. In the NBA you have Lebron James who can play positions 1-5 on the court.

Times change.

I would say even in this websites sport but that's a whole other can of worms.

ldiatone
05-11-2013, 05:32 PM
There's nothing sacrosanct about the size of the nets. They weren't designed at that size with the idea that goalies would someday be wearing equipment of such incredible width. They took out the red line, they've made other rule changes to meet the contemporary realities of the game, so why can't they widen the nets a bit? They need to do something to bring back the opportunity to score from the perimeter and widening the nets a bit would be the easiest way to do so.
one thing i listened to was, what to do w/ the net, was to make the posts "flatlike" on the outside. i guess the puck would drop down or flatten out instead of clanging and taking off.

ldiatone
05-11-2013, 05:39 PM

Secondly, the coaches and players are that much better which lends itself to defensive superiority. Goaltenders have all the angles down pat -- they aren't flopping around like they did in the old days. The systems, both defensive and offensive, shut down the wide open game.

Also, the gap between the Gretzky type player and Joe Schmoo on the 4th line is much closer. I would give anything to see Guy Lafleur come down the wing once more and let the shot go but those days are gone and unfortunately you can't go backwards in the development of the game.

I don't know that I would want to see the nets made larger -- that would be tantamount to sacriledge from a hockey purist perspective but maybe that is one of the things that need to change.
jay i did see both Lafleur and Bossy come down the right wing and shoot!
this back in the '80s. great shots. was there in the 80s, after USA defeated
ussr in the olympics, and the NYI came to pittsburgh w/ Ken Marrow playing his 2nd game and Mark Johnson played his first game for the pens.

jdhanover
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
My Isles showed a lot of heart, grit and determination. In the end we were done in by Nabakov going down every shot and they beat him up high.

Still, a bright future for the orange & blue.

OTM Al
05-11-2013, 10:36 PM
My Isles showed a lot of heart, grit and determination. In the end we were done in by Nabakov going down every shot and they beat him up high.

They played tough against a very good team. Lot of hope for the future and it was great to see Tavares got some recognition as well.

ldiatone
05-12-2013, 05:01 PM

the Isles did show heart. goalkeeping has to be #1 for teams. if pens dont sign vokoun and fleury is in goal, could have been a different turn out.
he might not play the rest of the playoffs :eek:

ldiatone
05-12-2013, 05:10 PM
the Isles did show heart. goalkeeping has to be #1 for teams. if pens dont sign vokoun and fleury is in goal, could have been a different turn out.
he might not play the rest of the playoffs :eek:
obtw i thought Okposo played a helluva series

elysiantraveller
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
GO WINGS!

http://myredwings.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/8_nhl_hockey_redwings.jpg