PDA

View Full Version : Unusual occurance at Parx on Dec 18th.

Stillriledup
12-19-2012, 04:31 AM
In 3 of the first 5 races of the day, an odds on favorite (less than even money) finished dead last, didnt beat a horse and didnt run a step. Neither favorite beat any horses to the wire...you seldom see any odds on favorite finish DFL, but when you see 3 in a 5 race span, its unusual to say the least.

michiken
12-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Isn't it amazing how some impossible longshot bomber horses show up right before Christmas too?

I call these 'Christmas Specials' - collusion between the jocks and owners to fill their pockets for the holidays!

lamboguy
12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Isn't it amazing how some impossible longshot bomber horses show up right before Christmas too?

I call these 'Christmas Specials' - collusion between the jocks and owners to fill their pockets for the holidays!
and i thought i am the only guy that is cynical in life!

you are a great dreamer

v j stauffer
12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
and i thought i am the only guy that is cynical in life!

you are a great dreamer

If the horsemen and jockeys and presumably ones close to them knew of this Christmas special how could it still be a longshot?

therussmeister
12-19-2012, 11:09 AM

"Impossible longshot bomber horses" show up every week of the year. I don't see how any horse player can remain solvent with a virulent case of confirmation bias.

dylbert
12-19-2012, 01:08 PM
In my youth, a veteran horseplayer suggested to me that any handicapper has just as great a chance of picking last place horse as one that finishes first regardless of the odds.

I lamented this two weeks ago with some OTB friends. I picked two winners and two last place finishers in first 4 races at Aqueduct.

BombsAway Bob
12-19-2012, 01:27 PM
If the horsemen and jockeys and presumably ones close to them knew of this Christmas special how could it still be a longshot?
Maybe the connections & jockeys can convene to put over a Longshot,
but unless the horse is in on the deal... No Bueno!

Stillriledup
12-19-2012, 01:44 PM

That's the magic of Christmas!! :lol:

rrpic6
12-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Quite a few years ago, an employee of the tote system at a nearby harness track that grew up with some guys I was with told us basically the same thing. He explained that the poor, low percentage trainers were allowed to win a few races at the end of the month so that they could pay their feed bills, vet bills etc. This enabled them to keep racing instead of folding up, meaning more horses were stabled there. Makes sense to me.

RR

wisconsin
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
It is and has always been my belief that it's those 2-1 shots that go off at 8-5 on a large handle day are the likeliest culprits. Nobody gets suspicious and everybody involved has some walk around money.

My dad used to own harness runners, and tells me that it was very easy in a 2 contender race to make sure you never left the wood so you could cash on the other contender. This was before passing lanes.