PDA

View Full Version : Chicago area PA Handicappers breakfast

jdhanover
12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Thaskalos made mention that he'd be happy to have breakfast with the serious handicappers here. Made me think...yeah, I would too...and that is a great idea. I really enjoyed speaking to everyone at the Outing and had the distinct pleasure to have had dinner with Gus a few weeks later. One of the most informative evenings on horse racing I have ever had.

So, I'm wondering if there is interest in a breakfast get together (I figure a Saturday morning is probably best though with the holidays etc, maybe other days are options).

My thought is that everyone come prepared to discuss the HAW card (or if we don't do this until January we can pick a different track). But we won't be purely 'hard-core' handicapping per se. It is a social event after all.

The spot ArlJim mentions in downtown Arlington Heights sounds ideal.

Give me a sense here of interest and I am happy to organize (this won't take much to do!). Even if only a couple of guys can make it I think it would be fun. My sense was that everyone got along well at the PA outing at Arlington so i dont think we need to worry about excluding anyone. In the summer we could talk about this as an ongoing weekly or monthly get-together if there is interest.

Let me know.
Jon

Capper Al
12-18-2012, 06:06 PM
I could do it in January.

thearmada
12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I would definitely be interested in this. I will be out of town then back to school later in January. If the timing works, I will most likely be there.

Valuist
12-21-2012, 10:03 AM
I'd be up for it. I missed the outing at Arlington this past summer. Arlington Heights would be great.

ArlJim78
12-21-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm up for it. Off for the next two weeks, I always like to talk horses and I'm certainly always up for breakfast. So any day would work for me.

jdhanover
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
We will shoot for a Saturday in January. Keep replying here if you are interested as well as if a certain Saturday is good/bad. Will try to accommodate as many as possible.

Jon

illinoisbred
12-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I really like the idea but saturdays might be tough to make with all the weekly preparations and messaging back and forth for the PAIHL contest.

Valuist
12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Unless one is retired, or a full time bettor, weekday mornings would not be an option.

Capper Al
12-21-2012, 01:41 PM
I really like the idea but saturdays might be tough to make with all the weekly preparations and messaging back and forth for the PAIHL contest.

I'm in the contest also. We just have to work it out with our team mates.

thaskalos
12-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I will be there no matter when it is held. As I said...I find few things more enjoyable than talking horses with knowledgeable people.

tbwinner
12-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I'll be there if I'm in town!

judd
12-22-2012, 09:24 AM
chicago travel in winter good be iffy, look at airport now --people stranded

jdhanover
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
he would drive in I think

Capper Al
12-22-2012, 08:17 PM
chicago travel in winter good be iffy, look at airport now --people stranded

Bad weather would be a problem.

thaskalos
12-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Bad weather would be a problem.
We could postpone it until May...

jdhanover
12-22-2012, 11:10 PM
we can play it by ear....most days are not a problem (other than cold)

jdhanover
01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
So January is packed for me.

Thinking Sat Feb 16 (first Saturday of the always, um, interesting, HAW meet)

Alternatives are the Sat before or after. If there is a consensus around one of these days (and I need to get permission from the Mrs :lol: ), we will book it.

Let me know gents

Oh, and lots of interest in the 2d annual PA Arlington Outing.... I will work on that in the spring.

Jon

pktruckdriver
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Alternatives are the Sat before or after. If there is a consensus around one of these days (and I need to get permission from the Mrs :lol: ), we will book it.

Let me know gents

Oh, and lots of interest in the 2d annual PA Arlington Outing.... I will work on that in the spring.

Jon

But no Jessica, my heart will be broken. But I did have fun and all went well, great job Jon, and thanks to TBwinner for his wonderful help too. Gus too.
Capper Al, for his help. The lady trainer and her jockey at dinner, great time and great stories they had, we should all be so lucky to expereince that, !!!

Every Track should do things like this, why not? Enough of you New Yorker's and nothing is ever done, except the Spa thing. But we are all over the country and we have this tremendous forum to plan these outings and if they are anywhere near the time we had in Chicago , I know you'allwill have a blast and meet new friends, isn't this what we should be about , instead of bashing each other about this or that, just a thought.

Gulfstream

Fairgrounds

Texas

California

Philly

Maryland

NJ

Ohio

WV

Seattle

Portland

This we did once , Tampa, and was great too, thou Chicago was better

Woodbine, we did this from another site, great time

56,000 members registered, and 3-4 times that lurking, we could really help ourselves by organizing get togethers for ourselves, and the members we have , Mountain Man from Mtr, Andy from NYRA, you get the picture, we could be havig fun , life is too short not to, is it not?

Just my thoughts , we know how they can be , lol

Patrick

pktruckdriver
01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I am sorry I hijacked this post, kinda, my bad, sorry Jon.

I do hope others will come back here and you do set up a great breakfast get together, and ignore my post above, please.

Thank You

Patrick

Capper Al
01-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Let me know gents

Jon

I can only do it on the Feb 16th or the week before.

jdhanover
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Now that HAW is running again, I'm thinking we should pick a Sat or Sun morning for breakfast/brunch at the place near AP (someone please give us the name/address). We could also head over to the Trackside OTB for a bit if folks are up for it. The next 2 weekends are no good for me (and kinda short notice), so let me throw some dates out and see what seems to work best for everyone (of course, nothing says we can't have 2 dates with different groups able to make each).

Intent is a social gathering, but we can discuss the HAW races (and any others), so it will be worthwhile if those who come have at least looked at the card.

Sat Mar 9
Sun Mar 10

Sat Mar 16
Sat Mar 17

Post here your availability and interest. Look forward to seeing everyone!

Jon

jdhanover
02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Now that HAW is running again, I'm thinking we should pick a Sat or Sun morning for breakfast/brunch at the place near AP (someone please give us the name/address). We could also head over to the Trackside OTB for a bit if folks are up for it. The next 2 weekends are no good for me (and kinda short notice), so let me throw some dates out and see what seems to work best for everyone (of course, nothing says we can't have 2 dates with different groups able to make each).

Intent is a social gathering, but we can discuss the HAW races (and any others), so it will be worthwhile if those who come have at least looked at the card.

Sat Mar 9
Sun Mar 10

Sat Mar 16
Sat Mar 17

Post here your availability and interest. Look forward to seeing everyone!

Jon

Anyone (I know a few of you were interested...)?