PDA

View Full Version : Print Help..........?

Sinner369
12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Print Experts need your help................!!!

I been downloading programs from tracks and HPI and notice that these program past performance lines are getting smaller and smaller.

Is there a way of printing larger pp lines?

wilderness
12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
The progression has been taking place since 1998-99, and when Trackmaster contracted with the USTA.
Most folks don't print anyway, rather utilize screen viewing at 130+%, which obscures a portion of the data.

As they add more and more fields (data) something has to get smaller.
Standard page sizes for most printers are still 8.5 X 11.0.

Try some 11 x 17 paper printed at Landscape and see if that makes any difference, else buy a plotter-printer.

There's simply no solution, except a big freaking magnifying glass..

Sinner369
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Widerness.......that's the same response I been getting from the so called computer experts......the way the racing industry is going....there are fewer and feweer fans and your audience is mostly people that are over 40...!

You would think that the printing should be larger because of who your customers are (over 40)........is that not your first rule in business school..........."know who your customers are?"

wilderness
12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
You would think that the printing should be larger because of who your customers are (over 40)........is that not your first rule in business school..........."know who your customers are?"

Give 'em what they want is more important.

With the decline of wagering (at least by newcomers to the track) the old-timers need more data to compete with each other, and as a result of feedback from these old-timers, more data is what they desire.

The down side is that the more data that is presented, the more likely it is for any potential newcomers to look at Past Performances as too difficult to grasp.

I doubt there's enough profit margin (look how the costs keep rising) for the past performance companies to even create a special PDF printing software that would allow reduced fields when printing!

Sinner369
12-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Give 'em what they want is more important.

With the decline of wagering (at least by newcomers to the track) the old-timers need more data to compete with each other, and as a result of feedback from these old-timers, more data is what they desire.

The down side is that the more data that is presented, the more likely it is for any potential newcomers to look at Past Performances as too difficult to grasp.

I doubt there's enough profit margin (look how the costs keep rising) for the past performance companies to even create a special PDF printing software that would allow reduced fields when printing!

That's what I meant.........."know who your customers are and gave them what they want"..........!

Lot of the track operators and business owners in general lose sight of this fact!

To me this is the first rule in operating a business.

wilderness
12-16-2012, 02:58 PM
That's what I meant.........."know who your customers are and gave them what they want"..........!

Lot of the track operators and business owners in general lose sight of this fact!

To me this is the first rule in operating a business.

The problem is that NONE of us want the same thing.

I'm for the return of the simplest of past performances in harness racing.
Slow, heavy, muddy and frozen track conditions.

The new pavement track surfaces are not effective for off-track racing these days anyway, because at the first sign of a dark cloud in the sky, racing is cancelled because all the horse ship-in and are no longer stabled at the track.
In the old days with on-track stabling the horsemen had no place to go and raced whatever the weather conditions because they were already at the track, and in most instances had been all day.

People were thrilled when they say the old Harness Eye (which contained most every data imaginable). I thought it was quite unique and interesting, however offered too much depth for handicapping.