PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hambleton is back in the saddle

RonTiller
12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
We just spoke with Tom Hambleton in Las Vegas and he gave us permission to pass along the following information on PaceAdvantage.

Tom has had several long bouts in the hospital over the last few years and is currently convalescing in a long term care facility in Las Vegas. He is in full scale handicapping mode and is starting to write again (Yeah!), working on a new edition of Form Points and doing race analysis write ups.

Many here are friends of Tom and most have benefited from Tom's various writings or seminars. Tom would enjoy hearing from some of his old acquaintances and fellow handicappers. His email address is:

thorayton@yahoo.com

Ron Tiller
HDW

Tom
12-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ron.

Dave Schwartz
12-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I spoke with Tom just yesterday. He is struggling with health issues but I have not heard him so enthused about racing in a long time.

Personally, I look forward to hearing what he has to say.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

maddog42
12-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Tom is a former PIRCO teacher that I never got to meet. I certainly do admire his writing. While I have never really used his Form Points system, It got me to thinking about quantifying Form and certainly influenced what I do. Of course Pace Makes the Race is a classic. Get well Tom.

andicap
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
I had one conversation with Tom Hambleton -- and what he said was one of the wisest things I have ever heard from a handicapper.

No matter what you read or hear, always check it out for yourself.

Now this might seem like pretty obvious advice but his point was, just because me, Brohamer or Bradshaw, etc. are "experts" doesn't mean you should use their methods unquestioningly. What works for one person may not for another. Everyone puts their own spin on any method.
Question everything, he advised, even his own work. (We working talking about Form Points.)

I recall Dick Schmidt once spelled out his method for using HSH software on Dave's forum (I was told this by a user), and no matter how hard he tried my contact could not replicate Dick's results. That's because Schmidt kept putting his own little spin on the method. An exception here, a little rule there, etc. He brought his own expertise to what was thought to be a rote system.

I wonder how Tom has updated his playing for today's racing scene.

Tom
12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Another wise thing he said was that handicapping races was the most fun you could have with your pants on.